Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 05:16 AM   #16
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Would certainly make for interesting conversations with strangers on the train, don't you think?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I could care less that people know what I am reading. I read because I enjoy it not to impress or scandalize others.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 07:56 AM   #18
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Though there is the issue that the Kindle, which is the most popular eReader, doesn't support using the current bookcover as the screensaver, at least without a jailbreak.
Amazon bought Liquavista, a manufacturer of low-power color displays, and never did anything with it.

I do not think that the technology was ever good enough for displaying print books. But, it just might be great for displaying a book cover in color! Perhaps Amazon will come out with a Oasis cover that has a color Liquavista display that shows the cover of the book being read.

And of course, you would still need a clear protective surface over that cover as is being described in this thread.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Gee Here I thought you were asking about an invention NOT Currently on the market....
Barbara,

If the case that the OP describes is on the market, perhaps you could provide a link to it, rather than writing mocking messages. It would be a lot more helpful, not to mention friendly. It's not very nice for someone to come here looking for help, and get sarcastic messages in reply. You seem to be aware of the existence of the type of cover the OP is looking for. Help him out by providing a link.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoRamius View Post
In a classic case for ereader (leather ou simili-leather like we all have), you could have a sort of window on the front part of the case that would be filled with, for example, such a silicon gel sheet. That would have the protection level we all expect, plus the transparency I'm looking for. Just to say that it's possible to have both those features.
This is what I was thinking after reading your first post. A normal front cover around the edge for optimal protection (and magnets and such), with a slightly raised (so as not to hit the device screen) window of some clear material about the size of the device screen or maybe slightly smaller. Honestly as your first post mentions, it sounds like a good idea specifically because of sleep screens and some people liking to see the book cover screen while the device is asleep. I'm surprised no one's done it yet.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
This is what I was thinking after reading your first post. A normal front cover around the edge for optimal protection (and magnets and such), with a slightly raised (so as not to hit the device screen) window of some clear material about the size of the device screen or maybe slightly smaller. Honestly as your first post mentions, it sounds like a good idea specifically because of sleep screens and some people liking to see the book cover screen while the device is asleep. I'm surprised no one's done it yet.
Probably not too difficult to do as a "DIY" project. Buy a cheap third-party cover, cut out the appropriate-sized rectangle from the front with a craft-knife, and glue in a rectangle of clear polycarbonate (that's the stuff that the outer screens of most eInk devices are made from - it's transparent and scratch-resistant). Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do.

This company, which was the result of a search for "polycarbonate sheet", will sell you a 3" x 4" piece of 2mm thick polycarbonate for £1. I'm sure there are lots of other suppliers.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-08-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #22
MarkoRamius
MarkoRamius began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o 2nd Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I could care less that people know what I am reading. I read because I enjoy it not to impress or scandalize others.
Apache
I understand some people don't want others know what they're reading. But I don't really see why sharing its reading has to do with 'impress or scandalize other'.

I'm curious to know how you used to read before ereaders exist ... Did you stick a black sheet of paper on the cover of your books to avoir scandalizing poeple ? :-) Or just maybe at that time people were less scandalized, or just more tolerant ...

I'm quite amazed this suggestion led to remarks, as if the idea was coming from an alien. The possibility to display the current book cover as sleep screen on the Kindle is known to be one of the top requests from kindle users (https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...requests_that/) , and it's the main reason (and probably often the only reason) why some people jailbreak them ...

@HarryT anyway, you're right, the idea of DIY is not a bad one, thanks !

Last edited by MarkoRamius; 11-08-2017 at 10:55 AM.
MarkoRamius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
@HarryT anyway, you're right, the idea of DIY is not a bad one, thanks !
You're very welcome. If you do give it a go, please show us the results!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #24
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
The possibility to display the current book cover as sleep screen on the Kindle is known to be one of the top requests from kindle users (https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...requests_that/) , and it's the main reason (and probably often the only reason) why some people jailbreak them ...
I’d be very curious if that is correct. It may be a common request from Kindle users, but I doubt it is the main reason that users jailbreak theirs. Most people don’t stare at their sleeping device, so whatever is displayed on the sleepscreen is only visible for a split second as the device wakes up. So even with a clear cover, it just doesn’t matter what is one the sleep screen.

If you’re out in public using your Kindle, it’s going to be awake because you’re reading. If you’re not reading, are you just carrying the Kindle around? Do people really pay that much attention to what the person sitting next to them are reading or holding in their hand?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I’d be very curious if that is correct. It may be a common request from Kindle users, but I doubt it is the main reason that users jailbreak theirs. Most people don’t stare at their sleeping device, so whatever is displayed on the sleepscreen is only visible for a split second as the device wakes up. So even with a clear cover, it just doesn’t matter what is one the sleep screen.

If you’re out in public using your Kindle, it’s going to be awake because you’re reading. If you’re not reading, are you just carrying the Kindle around? Do people really pay that much attention to what the person sitting next to them are reading or holding in their hand?
For instance, someone could leave their device lying on the coffee table and enjoy seeing the cover of the book as they pass by or when they're sitting nearby. Maybe for you there is only a split second where you'd see the screen as the device wakes or that it just doesn't matter, but that doesn't mean it must be true for everyone.

I will echo MarkoRamius regarding many of the posts in this thread and ask why would anyone feel the need to argue with MarkoRamius about what he'd like, and try to tell him he shouldn't want that? To each their own.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I will echo MarkoRamius regarding many of the posts in this thread and ask why would anyone feel the need to argue with MarkoRamius about what he'd like, and try to tell him he shouldn't want that? To each their own.
Precisely. Let's try to help people, not tell them they're wrong!
Old 11-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Do people really pay that much attention to what the person sitting next to them are reading
Absolutely! I always want to know what other people are reading!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #28
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There are good reasons to add a stiff insert, to prevent any twisting of the glass substrata, as well as some real protection for the screen. You can pick-up clear plastic window "glass" replacement material at many hardware stores. Attached find my addition to a ballistic nylon case, to protect my AuraHD. The plastic sheet also provides a place for some pictures of my kid from when he was little. By the way he bought me the case as a present.

Luck;
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	casePic.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	612.4 KB
ID:	159871  
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Wow, I couldn't expect such sort of replys. Matter of taste !

Well, as I feel I have to justify myself, let's go ! :-)

I like reading. I love my ereader because it's very convenient. But I still do love more the feeling of the real book (you know, that thing made of paper and a cardboard cover). I like when I take my ereader in my hands to have that feeling. I like to view the cover of the book I'm reading, because it starts immersing me. Because sometimes I don't even remember what book I was reading last time I read, too.

Other thing I love from real books, it's the social dimension. Have you never had a talk with a friend, a relative, a neighbour in a train or plane, just because he saw you were currently reading THAT book he loved (or hated - that happens too) ? I like talking and sharing about readings. When I go to someone's house, I like to see the books he has on the shelves of his library. To compare what we have read in common, discover others books he loved, and so on. All sort of things e-readers currently prevent, and that I - personnaly - regret. And I'm here talking about real discussions, face to face, not forum or social network talks.

Thank you for your sarcam ( :-) ) but no, I'm not asking about an invention already in the market (from what I know). You wrote soonner that thin plastic is not a protection, the example of silicon gel is just to show there are materials that are transparent, thick enough, and quite effective as a protection. In a classic case for ereader (leather ou simili-leather like we all have), you could have a sort of window on the front part of the case that would be filled with, for example, such a silicon gel sheet. That would have the protection level we all expect, plus the transparency I'm looking for. Just to say that it's possible to have both those features.

Ok, no problem with that, every one can live the way he wants. At the opposite I'm pretty sure there are many people that do want to announce it (for the above mentionned reasons !).

I agree with that, that's why I'm talking about a standard case, with just a transparent window on the front part !

I just hope I made myself clear - english is not my mother tongue, as you may have noticed !
I like your thinking.
Luckily, if you sort by most recent, the kindle might keep what you were last reading at the top of the list. I have the same remembering problem.
As to visiting people, anyone that visits here gets wide eyed. I collect cookbooks.
Your English is great. I would not have known it wasn't your native language.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #30
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I'm curious to know how you used to read before ereaders exist ... Did you stick a black sheet of paper on the cover of your books to avoir scandalizing poeple ? :-) Or just maybe at that time people were less scandalized, or just more tolerant ...
!
I say again, you don't read romance. Before ebooks, forums were full of posts by people saying that they like romance but the cover were shameful, or that they like to read romance but they didn't want others to know because of the mockery. I know a lot of people who covered they books or bought cover for them. So please, let me laugh a lot about people less scandalized or more tolerant before.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote