Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #106
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've heard a lot of people use rotsee rather than R.O.T.C. When I was in college, back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, one of my roomate's friends was known as Rotsee Ray because he was in the R.O.T.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Rot-see was quite common when I was in college and knew some ROTC people. Mid west (USA) in case that matters.
Rotsee was a very common pronunciation for ROTC back in the 60s. My dad was a ROTC instructor for a time, so I knew the term first hand.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Rot-see was quite common when I was in college and knew some ROTC people. Mid west (USA) in case that matters.
The problem is that not everyone is familiar with Rot-C and everyone is familiar with R.O.T.C. So why not do what works for everyone and not take some out of the story?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #108
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Good question, but perhaps the reader didn't know that not everyone was familiary with rotsee. If one *is* familiar, you don't realize that others aren't.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:25 AM   #109
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that not everyone is familiar with Rot-C and everyone is familiar with R.O.T.C. So why not do what works for everyone and not take some out of the story?
They aren't, Jon. I doubt that one person in a hundred in Britain would be familiar with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They aren't, Jon. I doubt that one person in a hundred in Britain would be familiar with it.
Would people in Britain understand R.O.T.C.?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #111
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
If a narrator says "R-O-T-C," it's clear to a listener that it's an abbreviation, even if the listener doesn't know quite what it stands for. If a narrator says "rotsee," it's a lot less likely that a listener is going get any meaning out of it. ROTC isn't an acronym, it's an initialism, and therefore a narrator should pronounce each letter.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would people in Britain understand R.O.T.C.?
No, they wouldn't. That's what I was saying in my previous message . It is an American institution, and one that's almost completely unknown in Britain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #113
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've heard a lot of people use rotsee rather than R.O.T.C. When I was in college, back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, one of my roomate's friends was known as Rotsee Ray because he was in the R.O.T.C.
I've heard rotsee a lot, myself. Strangely enough also back in my college years. Two syllables vs four. *shrug* The shortened, shortened version is self explanatory if you have to use it a lot.

It wouldn't have really distracted me much, but I can see how it would others. "Are Oh Tee See" would definitely be the "safer" pronunciation. But understanding how much (and how often) the creation and usage of new acronyms were used as humorous interludes/banter in the book itself, I wouldn't be surprised at all if "rotsee" was a purposeful inside joke.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #114
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
As someone born in the US, who has listened to and watched _many_ UK books and productions, and now lives in Canada, the various differences in pronunciations still often catch me out. 'an-SILL-a-ree' wouldn't bother me, even though I'd grown up with 'AN-sill-air-ee', but others still grate. OTOH, I now find the US pronunciation of 'praah-ject' instead of 'pro-ject' positively annoying. Even when I do it myself.

As for rot-see -- my teachers always referred to ROTC, but no one who was in it ever used anything but rot-see. I have no idea what's current, however.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #115
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
How can anyone* not know how to pronounce John Maynard Keynes? And even if a narrator is so unfortunate, how can such an error not be caught and fixed? Nails on chalkboard territory.

*Alan Sklar is the miscreant. He’s new to me, but if he keeps it up, he’s one and done.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #116
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
How can anyone* not know how to pronounce John Maynard Keynes? And even if a narrator is so unfortunate, how can such an error not be caught and fixed? Nails on chalkboard territory.

*Alan Sklar is the miscreant. He’s new to me, but if he keeps it up, he’s one and done.
How hard is it, in this day and age, to look up the correct pronunciation?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #117
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

So, I give. How DID he pronounce it? Cause I can't figure out how he could get it wrong.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #118
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
“Keens.”
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #119
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Sigh. Yet another example of the decline and fall of practically everything.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:04 PM   #120
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
You'd have to know you were wrong, to think of looking it up. My first guess was "keens" too. I'm not sure I know him, though it sounds a little familiar.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote