Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-26-2017, 07:46 AM   #256
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
Do companies like Onyx and Kobo just order their devices from manufacturers and stamp their own logo on it, or do they have something to say about the specs?

I'm really amazed that these companies have been stuck in 2012 for such a long time now.

For a couple of dollars per device more, they would have a device that actually worked
A (little) company like Onyx must order a 'batch' of products to a manufacturer, 1 000, 5 000, etc. pieces. They can ask a particular hardware, look at the Russian devices, there aren't the same that the 'international' devices.
From your point of view, few cents or dollars isn't a problem, but for 1 000 or 10 000 pieces the costs aren't the same and the risks too.

The market of e-reader is small. Some customers look at the best price, it's the main criteria in some case. Mdp is right, a device like the my M92 makes the job.Why I wait for the future Onyx Max ? Because I want a bigger and lighter screen, a better resolution, flip the pages easily, have many files opened simultaneously and I'm ready to pay for that.

Many times, a discussion was made about "What is the function of an e-reader ?". The expectations are various. I want read, flip the pages, mark some pages, use EPUB, PDF, HTLM, TXT files, SDCard, Internet isn't useful for me on this device. Some people ask some Internet capabilities.

To develop an e-reader isn't only a question of hardware, but a question of software too. The best hardware with a poor (or bad) software isn't interesting. You could search for all discussions about the good hardwares and the problems with the software. Some examples : Linux for M92 with Obuntu, the 'export' function for the PDF's annotations with Onyx, the discussions on the Sony's DPT-RP1 where some users want the software of the previous version on the new model.

To develop a new hardware, a chip better than an other is not enough. You need electronics engineers and software developers. For the software, an OS like Linux is good for a small device and can be very efficient, but from the user's point of view it could be not enough because he want all applications from GooglePlay ... The costs for the development, the people to pay, the problems to follow the versions of Android are important, bigger if you have a little team that make only a specific version of Linux but in this case the possibilities of the software can seem more reduced compared to Android.

So, for a company like Onyx, it's hard to develop (R&D) a new model and sell it a the best price without take too much financials risks.

Last edited by Randy11; 08-26-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #257
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
a device like the my M92 makes the job.Why I wait for the future Onyx Max ? Because I want a bigger and lighter screen, a better resolution, flip the pages easily, have many files opened simultaneously and I'm ready to pay for that.

Many times, a discussion was made about "What is the function of an e-reader ?". The expectations are various. I want read, flip the pages, mark some pages, use EPUB, PDF, HTLM, TXT files, SDCard, Internet isn't useful for me on this device. Some people ask some Internet capabilities.
So (apparently) you want a powerful and featureful e-reader, and are willing to compromise on the battery. Many of us have rich text editing as a requirement; many are eager (it seems that some /need/, owing to medical conditions) to use the EPD display as a second monitor; many would use (many invested, see the "Earl") it as a map device for GPS... Just to mention a few (and I've been into all of the above areas). And of course, wanting flexibility creates the demand for a relatively open product. The market is there for EPD based tablets. Luckily, Onyx is seeing the two instances of more power and more capabilities and correctly building on that. It is also to be noted that leveraging on the great Android developers caring of their own market - a notable example is happening in these very days - can be efficient in terms of the use of internal development (although Onyx also offers their own products).

It seems they at some point embraced the i.MX 6SoloLite, which revealed to be a good choice, then went conservative on it. A good thing the plan is now evolving. Only, I do not understand why they sold at least one device with advanced system-on-a-chip and do not use it for their high-end tablets (10'', 13.3'') - if the matter is of testing and consolidating... I can't believe that SoC "cost too much".

Last edited by mdp; 08-26-2017 at 11:39 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #258
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Only, I do not understand why they sold at least one device with advanced system-on-a-chip and do not use it for their high-end tablets (10'', 13.3'') - if the matter is of testing and consolidating... I can't believe that SoC "cost too much".
I mean the C67ML - small screen, but dual core with graphics acceleration.
If anyone could publish its exact specs ('cat /proc/cpuinfo'), it would be appreciated...
Old 08-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #259
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So (apparently) you want a powerful and featureful e-reader, and are willing to compromise on the battery. Many of us have rich text editing as a requirement; many are eager (it seems that some /need/, owing to medical conditions) to use the EPD display as a second monitor; many would use (many invested, see the "Earl") it as a map device for GPS... Just to mention a few (and I've been into all of the above areas). And of course, wanting flexibility creates the demand for a relatively open product. The market is there for EPD based tablets. Luckily, Onyx is seeing the two instances of more power and more capabilities and correctly building on that. It is also to be noted that leveraging on the great Android developers caring of their own market - a notable example is happening in these very days - can be efficient in terms of the use of internal development (although Onyx also offers their own products).
Hi Mdp,

Sorry, I've caused a misunderstanding. I try to explain why a 'better' chip is not so easy to have in the last device and why it's hard to Onyx to give a response to each demand.

I'dont 'want a powerful and featureful e-reader, and are willing to compromise on the battery' My dream is a device with all features to read with the same pleasure than a paper book, even if I like to read a paper book. If the code is really available as open source, it will be better. I like the M92 because, I can read every day and make a charge on time by month or less. I haven't an Android phone because I don't want to charge it every day.

I like the idea to use the device as a monitor. But all this features is hardware and software to develop with a big cost and this take more time than a small bundle of features.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #260
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
My dream is a device with all features to read with the same pleasure than a paper book [...] I like the M92 because, I can read every day and make a charge on time by month or less. Ihaven't an Android phone because I don't want to charge it every day.

I like the idea to use the device as a monitor. But all this features is hardware and software to develop with a big cost and this take more time than a small bundle of features.
I think that with the i.MX 6SoloLite the balance is overly skewed towards the preservation of battery charge... I am testing the new Librera (Libri, PDF Reader) on both the MaxCarta and a non-recent "high end" tablet and the difference is very evident. It is not necessary to sacrifice this much of responsiveness.

(BTW: my Android phone lasts many days without charging ; ) First and foremost, get one with replaceable battery, and get a big one e.g. on batteryupgrade.com . Then, enable only the radios you are actually using, when you are using them. Mainly, just that.)

Last edited by mdp; 08-27-2017 at 06:05 AM.
Advert
Old 08-27-2017, 08:14 AM   #261
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:
(BTW: my Android phone lasts many days without charging ; ) First and foremost, get one with replaceable battery, and get a big one e.g. on batteryupgrade.com . Then, enable only the radios you are actually using, when you are using them. Mainly, just that.)
The only Android phone that arouse interest for me is the Yotaphone because it has an e-ink screen : battery life probably improved and to read my novels is possible (yes, I'm attached to e-ink for read), but I'm nearly sure that the battery is not replaceable :-( Good advice that stop all unnecessary services to preserve the battery life.

Last edited by Randy11; 08-27-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #262
Markeris
Markeris began at the beginning.

Device: onyx max
Hi . Sorry for maybe stupid question . But can I slide my finger on screen ?For speed reading purposes .
Markeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:44 AM   #263
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markeris View Post
Hi . Sorry for maybe stupid question . But can I slide my finger on screen ?For speed reading purposes .
The MaxCarta has no finger touch recognition. If you slide your finger on its screen, it will feel fattered and useful, and you will create bonding. It will not send slide commands to the system.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #264
Markeris

I just worry I could damage the screen somehow ?
Old 11-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #265
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
I just worry I could damage the screen somehow ?
Not unless you are pressing unusually hard or have very scratchy nails. You can also rest your palm on the screen when you are writing with the stylus.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #266
Markeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Not unless you are pressing unusually hard or have very scratchy nails. You can also rest your palm on the screen when you are writing with the stylus.
Big thanks .This really helps ,
Old 11-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #267
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I just worry I could damage the screen
You can damage (some) EPD screens if you keep them, for example, packed and exposed to populated keyrings. Meaning, if local pressure is applied gathered on small amounts of surface, you will destroy the dots involved and they will remain permanently black, unchangeable, dead. You have to apply enough convergent pressure with a hard edge. A finger does not have the surface not the hardness, even if you applied (moderate) strength.

Last edited by mdp; 11-07-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #268
davodjafari
davodjafari began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox max carta
could i update firmware if my max carta is rooted?
davodjafari is offline   Reply With Quote