Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 04:37 AM   #16
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Believe it or not, this is what Onyx just mailed me:

"Dear Lodewijk Langeweg,

Thank you for your suggestions.

But I install a WPS into Max Carta, and type text, and have it save on the Max Carta. Just connect your Max Carta to the computer with USB cable, then you could translate the text into the computer."

best regards
Onyx International Inc.

I'll add a link to this thread in my reply to Onyx, saying that someone helpful had already suggested that to me. So I surely better follow the advice given, now by two knowledgeable people already.

I'll try the latest of Kingsoft available (5.9.1) first. And if it works well for me, just utilize that one.

But I still don't know how to individually remove files and whatever I downloaded into the Max.

Last edited by Lode; 12-07-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:56 AM   #17
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
Believe it or not, this is what Onyx just mailed me:

"install a WPS into Max Carta,
Good, but try also Kingsoft (5.9.1). I could not zoom on WPS (the recent though not latest versions).
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #18
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Thank you much again for all the help.

I have the Kingsoft 5.9.1 installed on the Max Carta now, and saved my first Document.doc on it, as well as on my laptop. As you said, it was really easy to write text with.

Also I don't see all those icons Word has in the top bar when I had it once on my first laptop thanks to a helpful acquaintance who installed it for me a long time ago. All those icons scared me away from it then. Being a total newbie I soon reformatted (had never heard of system backups yet) because I didn't know how to undo something, so Word was also gone. I had never used it.

I can edit the doc. on the Max via the app. But when I try to open it on my laptop I get the message it can be openend with Microsoft Office System Open XML, which I therefore installed, but it still doesn't open the doc. Instead I get the offer to save it (again) where I want.

Last edited by Lode; 12-07-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #19
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can edit it on the Max via the app. But when I try to open it on my laptop I get the message it can be openend with Microsoft Office System Open XML, which I got installed now, but it still doesn't open the doc. Instead it offers to save it (again) where I want.
The fault is with the software you are using on the laptop. Just tell it to keep is as .doc
Otherwise, note that Kingsoft can save in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt . As you should know, the Portable Document Format (.pdf) is an electronic printout - not for further editing -, and the "text only" (.txt) loses all formatting retaining only the text. If you are more comfortable, considering what you are using on the laptop, you can use the .docx format (a very bad "Open XML") for storage and interchange instead of the .doc . Nonetheless, whatever word processor you are using on the laptop, it should accept .doc files.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #20
Lode
Zealot

The idea to get LibreOffice came to mind, and now I can open and edit the document also on my laptop. Even the rows of those Word like icons don't scare me any more. That was when I was even afraid to start my first laptop by myself, reason I went to the acquaintance. He was the one to press the ON button for me the first time, and told me I needed Word, which he then installed.

Old memories now.

On the Max I can make and edit documents in both portrait and landscape mode I see.

Looks like this is the happy end of a how to tutorial, and the opportunity of a new beginning for me: writing on the Max Carta with a BT keyboard... the same way I'm used to on my laptop.

Thank you once more for your effective help!

Last edited by Lode; 12-07-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #21
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
writing on the Max Carta with a BT keyboard... the same way I'm used to do it on my laptop.
No prob, but I presume you will soon be missing the missing piece: you will very probably want to force wake-locks before text editing sessions, and re-allow automated exiting from wakes at the end of your sessions - you allow that the device's processor sleeps instead of forcing it to stay fully alert waiting for your inputs.

Meanwhile, try and see how it works for you. If, as I expect, you will start seeing that responsiveness comes and goes (e.g. you type a long text and the screen only shows the first chars), then this missing piece will be the final you need. I will publish my own very simple software to force global wake locks in a few hours, it's been a while I said I'd publish it. You could also try other ones around from Google Play.

EDIT: I am really, really in need of a brain massage... It's force wake locks, of course, not "disable" them. Correcting all over.

Last edited by mdp; 12-07-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #22
Lode
Zealot

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but in Power Manager I have "Never" for Sleep and Power off timeout, and 30 min. for Network Inactivity Timeout. And during the time I was writing and looking at things, the Max stayed on.

Of course if it still falls asleep or worst I will be glad to install what you suggest.

One last detail: I still don't know how to get rid of things on the Max. There's still the iA Writer and WriterPlus apps I wouldn't mind removing.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #23
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I still don't know how to get rid of things on the Max. There's still the iA Writer and WriterPlus apps I wouldn't mind removing.
So, for "things" you mean applications: to remove them, I think you should long press on their icons, and select something like "Remove" in the popup menu that appears. (I do not have the device in front of me now.)

That's what Onyx provided as a simplification. Otherwise, you have the Application Manager in the Settings.

Last edited by mdp; 12-07-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #24
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but in Power Manager I have "Never" for Sleep and Power off timeout, and 30 min. for Network Inactivity Timeout.
That's not the wake-lock: that is when the device goes to a patent sleep mode - the screen becomes a screen-saver image.
What the wake lock prevents, you do not see: the CPU goes to sleep, and you have no signal that it happens. It wakes up after you wake the device giving hardware input (buttons, screen touch etc.) - but BlueTooth input does not count for that, so you type all you want and the device stays enchanted in a limbo.

The optimal process would be: when the device believes that it is time to take a nap and preserve battery, it should (it does), but upon BlueTooth keystroke, it wakes up. I am not sure it is possible to implement that in a firmware. BlueTooth keystrokes are not "hardware interrupts": there is a radio in between, a more complex mechanism than the hardware buttons.

Last edited by mdp; 12-07-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #25
Lode
Zealot

Nice surprise to see the Delete option appear when pressing apps for a second or so with the tip or eraser end of the pen. Gone are iA Writer, WriterPlus, and EverNote. As well as seeing the option to place the Kingsoft icon on the opening page where it appears now.

Thanks also for the explanations.

I still don't know how to remove documents, but that is no biggie having only the one I wrote, the Max Carta Manual, and Kingsoft About doc. on it.

Last edited by Lode; 12-07-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #26
Lode
Zealot

PS:
The little black arrow moves too slow on the screen using the touchpad to be really practical, although once in the destined spot like on a button or in the text it works as it should by tapping on that touchpad. But that is not necessary, as instead of that one can utilize the pen tip.

Last edited by Lode; 12-08-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #27
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
@Lode
You should have in mind that Android was developed as a phone OS and not a computer OS with a file handling system built in. Hence, almost all apps keep their data files in their own directories. I understand you prefer to save those document files to external memory to save room on the internal storage.
The simplest way to do that is by installing a file management app like ESFile. Then after saving your file you just move it to extension memory. Just keep in mind that you don't want to do that until you are completely finished with the document. Otherwise the app will not be able to open the document.

Also, if you are working on a book the Max Carta is great for text input, but only text input. All the formatting should be done on a "real" computer with a decent screen when you edit your documents, the e-ink Carta screen is just not detailed enough to see formatting details well enough.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #28
Lode
Zealot

Thank you for that helpful suggestion.

I was thinking for a moment that I needed to first copy the document from the Max on an SD card, and then plug that into my laptop, and next copy the document from the SD on the laptop. But then I realized all I had to do is use the USB cable; on my laptop I then see the Max and the document on it, waiting for instant copying on the laptop...

And yes, I guessed that editing might better be done on my laptop. But I must say even as the document came "raw" -not edited- from the Max it looks good on my laptop. I find that Kingsoft app I have on the Max plenty good enough too.

Last edited by Lode; 12-11-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #29
Lode
Zealot

PS:
I still don't know how to delete a document from the Max.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #30
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
You should have in mind that Android [...] almost all apps keep their data files in their own directories.
Yes, Android keeps internal directories reserved to the single software applications, but applications that are supposed to load and save files can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Also, if you are working on a book the Max Carta is great for text input, but only text input. All the formatting should be done on a "real" computer with a decent screen when you edit your documents, the e-ink Carta screen is just not detailed enough to see formatting details well enough.
While I also do part of that formatting work outside Kingsoft, you can also do some formatting on it: in the toolbar, in the "Edit" section ("Insert, Font, Paragraph, Bullets, Style, Comments & Revise, Bookmark"), the tools are usable. Click on a paragraph and apply a style, select a few words and apply bold or italics etc. ...
Actually, when you apply ad-hoc styles you will probably use the keyboard: place the cursor in the right position with the [Arrow] buttons, go [Shift]+[Arrow] to select, go [CTRL]+[B] to make it bold, [CRTL]+[I] to make it italic...
Of course, the colours are a little washed out ; )

Quote:
I still don't know how to delete a document from the Max.
The second icon in the toolbar is named "Storage", and it is a file browser: browse your filesystem, reach a document, long-click on its icon, and a pop-up menu appears "Open With / Save as Screen Saver / Properties / Search / Multiple Selection Mode / Rename / Cut / Copy / Remove / New Folder".