Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 05:46 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm wondering what's different with the devices with issues and the devices without issues.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has anyone with these disk I/O errors actually done a check of the Kobo to see if there are any errors? That's what I would be doing given what a disk I/O error is. The thing is, you need to figure out what the problem is and that is the first place I'd look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'd also suggest checking the O/S log files to see if there are any pertinent messages. On Windows this would be eventvwr
When I saw this issue when copying large amounts of data to my Kobo, nothing was recorded in the eventviewer logs that appeared to be related to the issue. I did find orphaned file chunks on the Kobo for the last file that was being copied. In my case, it turned out to be an issue with using a direct connection to a USB 3 port. Nirsoft's USBDeview was handy here when I was trying to locate the source of the error. While playing around, I received several error messages when connecting an USB device that it was unrecognized. USBDeview allowed me to remove the failed device which would show as Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) before trying to mount the device again.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #63
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I'm beginning to wonder whether this might be a hardware problem on the One added to a Windows 10 version 1703 problem.

I used to have occasional problems connecting my Aura One to the Surface Book. Usually disconnecting/reconnecting and/or raising a little the micro-usb plug in the One lodging, and/or trying several cables, and/or turning off/on the computer and/or the One worked, fairly quickly.

I've had problems with the Surface itself since the 1703 upgrade, increasingly, and I plan to reset it from scratch in September when my computer-savvy brother will be available - and I feel like my One connexion problem has increased a lot since then.

Just now I went through every method, and it's been a very painful connexion/disconnexion, with the PC itself and with Calibre with the usual error messages
Spoiler:
calibre, version 3.6.0
ERREUR : Erreur: Erreur pendant la communication avec le périphérique

IOError: disk I/O error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 511, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1766, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2736, in get_bookshelflist
File "c:\t\t\apsw-9hooel\apsw-3.13.0-r1\src\cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
IOError: IOError: disk I/O error

but at long last the connexion managed to go through. I'm crossing my fingers that it won't drop until I'm done managing the library.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:45 PM   #64
hellodustin
hellodustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20 Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Me, H2O2.
I'm dying inside, not because of your "Me, H2O2", although hilarious. But also having problems connecting Aura H2O2 Edition 2 after updating OS X recently. My reader won't show up in devices, if it does, it causes things to unexpectedly eject or quit. Any suggestions? I haven't had anything stump me quite like this in ages, I can usually handle it.
hellodustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #65
Mr Meanor
He's a role-model.
Mr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enough

Device: PPC1, KA One, Cybook G3, Kindle PW, PRS-950, PRS-505, Tab 2, Mac5K
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellodustin View Post
I'm dying inside, not because of your "Me, H2O2", although hilarious. But also having problems connecting Aura H2O2 Edition 2 after updating OS X recently. My reader won't show up in devices, if it does, it causes things to unexpectedly eject or quit. Any suggestions? I haven't had anything stump me quite like this in ages, I can usually handle it.
Do an SMC reset, google the procedure for your mac.
Mr Meanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #66
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I'm having this problem on multiple Kobos (connecting to MacOS). Can't find any rhyme or reason to it, but it works maybe 1/20 times at best. Super super ultra annoying.

Edit -- Messing around more, it seems an SMC reset is what's required to get it to mount (unless that's a coincidence)

Last edited by stewacide; 11-27-2017 at 04:34 PM.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:28 AM   #67
hellodustin
hellodustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20 Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Meanor View Post
Do an SMC reset, google the procedure for your mac.
Cheers for that. Worked a charm!
hellodustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #68
Mr Meanor
He's a role-model.
Mr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enough

Device: PPC1, KA One, Cybook G3, Kindle PW, PRS-950, PRS-505, Tab 2, Mac5K
Just resurrecting this thread with maybe another solution to 'no connection' from Kobo devices to MacOS high Sierra for those who are searching.
Been laid up and while enjoying my isolation was presented with two new upgraded High Sierra MBP's that where been used in the broadcast field by my co-workers but the owners also use Kobo readers and android phones,
Recently they could only get the the devices to connect very intermittently or with errors.
They had tried nvram and SMC resets and new cables as well- but no joy. Nothing showing up in the disk utility, no devices in the USB , no corrupted hidden files. This is when they started blubbing and crying so I said I would see what I could do!

Anyway long story of testing cut short..
Remove all NTFS mounting software if installed, ie: Paragon, Macfuse, Tuxera, Mounty, etc.
Stop the applications if running in the back ground then make sure every trace is gone from applications, application support and so on, then restart.

Kobo and Android (with file transfer) should both connect now, you can reinstall the NTFS mounting software again after this and try it again.
Mr Meanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #69
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Meanor View Post
Just resurrecting this thread with maybe another solution to 'no connection' from Kobo devices to MacOS high Sierra for those who are searching.
Been laid up and while enjoying my isolation was presented with two new upgraded High Sierra MBP's that where been used in the broadcast field by my co-workers but the owners also use Kobo readers and android phones,
Recently they could only get the the devices to connect very intermittently or with errors.
They had tried nvram and SMC resets and new cables as well- but no joy. Nothing showing up in the disk utility, no devices in the USB , no corrupted hidden files. This is when they started blubbing and crying so I said I would see what I could do!

Anyway long story of testing cut short..
Remove all NTFS mounting software if installed, ie: Paragon, Macfuse, Tuxera, Mounty, etc.
Stop the applications if running in the back ground then make sure every trace is gone from applications, application support and so on, then restart.

Kobo and Android (with file transfer) should both connect now, you can reinstall the NTFS mounting software again after this and try it again.
Is there anywhere a list to check what are NTFS mounting softwares? Nothing you mentioned is what I have.
I still have problems connecting Aura One with Mac. Sometimes it just connects, sometimes when it doesn't I restart Mac and then it sometimes connects, but sometimes it doesn't.
Tonight, the restart didn't work, SMC reset worked once (for me to install patches on Aura One). Then I disconnected, connected again, not recognised by Mac. I reset SMC again, nothing...In the end I started Calibre content server to load the books I forgot to send while connected.
This is extremely irritating, since anything else I connect to the same port (or ports), including all Kindles I have, works normally. And I have 2 original Kobo cables and several Anker cables.
I am thinking of buying Aura One 32GB addition and hoping that one will work...
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #70
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
I am thinking of buying Aura One 32GB addition and hoping that one will work...
For what it's worth, I have an Aura One 32GB which connects reliably every time. I too was experiencing major connection problems with the original Aura One as well as with the H202. I have no idea if I was just lucky this time, or if Kobo changed something, but it works for me. Good luck.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:37 AM   #71
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
For what it's worth, I have an Aura One 32GB which connects reliably every time. I too was experiencing major connection problems with the original Aura One as well as with the H202. I have no idea if I was just lucky this time, or if Kobo changed something, but it works for me. Good luck.
Thanks I think I will try it then.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #72
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
H2O V2 works flawless on W10 and latest calibre.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #73
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i have h20 v2 and occasionaly i opened calibre and then plugged in kobo and nothing.

yesterday tried a different usb port on my pc and connected straight away
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #74
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
This is the issue (I reported it and can reproduce it): kobolabs/Kobo-Reader#70. It happens on macOS and linux, maybe windows. It is the source of the intermittent I/O Error issues, and is also why some USB ports stop working after using it with the kobo.

This can temporarily worked around by using a different USB port or rebooting, but it will eventually come back. Please comment on the issue if it affects you, as kobo seems to be reluctant to try to fix it (I've tried contacting them), and gtalusan (the main person in charge of the GitHub repo) is being silent.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #75
Lady Stardust
User

Well...I just lost my often non-connectable Aura One two days back in a taxi and strangely enough for Japan, the taxi driver didn't bring it back.
Since comic edition was not restocked, I bought another one and for now it's connecting without a problem - but it has green blotches on the screen
In the meantime, comic edition became available today, so I just ordered it. Once I get it I will see how it connects.