Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-31-2020, 10:25 AM   #901
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev1 View Post
I'm new to this forum and I'm looking to get help with the KFX Output plugin. It seems that no matter what I try, I always get "Conversion error: Enhanced Typesetting not supported for this book".
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev1 View Post
Here's the complete error log
Unfortunately the error log shows that the Kindle Previewer failed to convert the book, but is not supplying any specific reason for the conversion failure.

Perhaps something went wrong with the installation of the Kindle Previewer. You can try uninstalling it and installing again.

It may be getting blocked by anti-virus software. If you are using something like that, other than what comes with Windows, try disabling it.

Otherwise there may be some incompatibility with your system. I don't have any suggestions on how to detect or fix that possibility.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #902
troubledMan
Connoisseur
troubledMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
CLI Command not found

Hi all,

First things first: excuse my English, it's not my mother tongue.
More:excuse me if this has been asked & answered before (I haven' found anything searching this thread).

I'm on a MacBook running High Sierra, with two accounts (admin, standard user). I have installed both Kindle Previewer 3.43 and Calibre 3.48.0 and the KFX Output plugin (latest version, AFAIK) into the Applications folder of the admin account.
When I convert a mobi, pub, opf file to kfx in Calibre logged to the Standard User account everything is OK. But if I try to do same using CLI, bash spits "command not found". What am I doing bad?

Thanks

Last edited by troubledMan; 09-05-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: erratum
troubledMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #903
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledMan View Post
I'm on a MacBook running High Sierra, with two accounts (admin, standard user). I have installed both Kindle Previewer 3.43 and Calibre 3.48.0 and the KFX Output plugin (latest version, AFAIK) into the Applications folder of the admin account.
When I convert a mobi, pub, opf file to kfx in Calibre logged to the Standard User account everything is OK. But if I try to do same using CLI, bash spits "command not found". What am I doing bad?
I assume that you mean the CLI for this plugin, entering something like:
calibre-debug -r "KFX Output" -- "my book.epub"

If that is causing the "command not found" error then it has something to do with how calibre is installed under MacOS. I am not a Mac user so I on't know how to solve this sort of problem.

Try just entering the command "calibre-debug" in bash (without the quotes). If that does not launch a calibre interactive session then the problem likely has to do with path setup during calibre installation.

If that is the case you would be better off asking about it in the main calibre forum.

(PS: Your English is fine.)
Old 09-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #904
troubledMan
Connoisseur
troubledMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Since that is the case, I follow your advice and I’ll ask in the calibre forum. Thank you very much for your time (and your plugin!).
troubledMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:29 AM   #905
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.44.0 - 12 Sep 2020

Detect Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.44.

Internal code restructuring.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #906
Ico
Enthusiast
Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW4
Having trouble getting manually selected guided view projects to work properly. I finally managed to convert to kfx without "kfx conversion Error message, thanks to jhowell advising another user."
It works on an android device, and it force closes when transferred to kindle for PC, which is odd since it is not that large. Kindle on the other hand ignores the conversion completely. I even had to dabble in some KOreader voodoo to transfer it over the air to open in the official interface, it did not want to transfer to the device, but was the kfx format. True i do keep kindle Fw on 5.11.2 since 5.12. is not KOreader friendly, but i do not think that poses a problem since kfx format is supported for a while now. Not only is guided view not working but so are not cropping or landscape options. The file is impeccable on android. It is an older comic, waay older; so I had to resort to that since even if panels are large it stil is tiring reading the cropboxes after 20 or so pages.

Jhowell 3 years ago https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=208
That he did not manage to open it on a eink device, so I'm hoping something changed, since a couple of years passed, and the company issued Kindle Create to streamline the process.
In theory it should work, the creator should have the same source I have, and just declare it manually like I do. How will an artist check their product quality if they cant sideload it themselves?
I am really puzzled.

Thank You for your insights.
Ico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #907
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ico View Post
Jhowell 3 years ago https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=208
That he did not manage to open it on a eink device, so I'm hoping something changed, since a couple of years passed, and the company issued Kindle Create to streamline the process.
Nothing has changed regarding comic support in KFX format since 2017. It will work on Fire tablets and the Kindle for Android and iOS apps.

It still does not work on e-ink Kindle devices or Kindle for PC/Mac. For those your comic needs to be in KF8 (azw3) format.

Quote:
How will an artist check their product quality if they cant sideload it themselves?
Certainly the best way to really know how a book will look on different devices is to try it. Unfortunately, Amazon has mostly given up on that concept and expects publishers to rely on their Kindle Previewer for testing. That approach sometimes leads to surprises once a book is actually published.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #908
Ico
Enthusiast
Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Nothing has changed regarding comic support in KFX format since 2017. It will work on Fire tablets and the Kindle for Android and iOS apps.

It still does not work on e-ink Kindle devices or Kindle for PC/Mac. For those your comic needs to be in KF8 (azw3) format.

Certainly the best way to really know how a book will look on different devices is to try it. Unfortunately, Amazon has mostly given up on that concept and expects publishers to rely on their Kindle Previewer for testing. That approach sometimes leads to surprises once a book is actually published.
Thank You very much for Your reply. I now see I've apparently been drunk writing, since the post is incomprehensible, apologies I was in a bit of a hurry, and I just knew I was going to forget.
So why does Amazon market their guided view, does that mean their comixology competitive product is a gimmick.
People are basking in the supremeness of amazon guided view especially on reddit, what do they have that we don't?
What does Nathan have? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVNtpbyIYN4
Are there any extra complicated hoops I have to jump through to enable it on eink?
Old 09-16-2020, 03:45 PM   #909
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So why does Amazon market their guided view, does that mean their comixology competitive product is a gimmick.
People are basking in the supremeness of amazon guided view especially on reddit, what do they have that we don't?
What does Nathan have? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVNtpbyIYN4
Are there any extra complicated hoops I have to jump through to enable it on eink?
Amazon has had "panel view" for comics for a long time. It works as shown in the video you linked. For that you only need KF8 (azw3) format.

The newer "guided view" is an animated version of panel view. It does a transition showing the movement from one panel to the next, which makes it easier to see where the panels are placed on the page. The animation requires a display capable of showing motion so it does not work on e-ink Kindles, only on the phone/tablet apps. Guided view is generated by the KFX renderer so it requires the comic to be in KFX format.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #910
Ico
Enthusiast

Quote:
Amazon has had "panel view" for comics for a long time. It works as shown in the video you linked. For that you only need KF8 (azw3) format.

The newer "guided view" is an animated version of panel view. It does a transition showing the movement from one panel to the next, which makes it easier to see where the panels are placed on the page. The animation requires a display capable of showing motion so it does not work on e-ink Kindles, only on the phone/tablet apps. Guided view is generated by the KFX renderer so it requires the comic to be in KFX format.
Thank You for the clarification, I see how I presented it.
So You are saying, panel view can be obtained on a paperwhite? And not the one via KCC, rather with panels created by user? Does that mean I just input azw3 rather than Kfx in the console, and a similar result can be obtained? If Yes, then well that's great! I wouldn't mind Amazon supporting crop whitespace in their options either, but I thought all of those features are for kfx, and azw only got the font option. I don't think in recent history I was ever so glad of being wrong.
Sorry for the wording, not that savvy with the default formats since I mostly convert.
Thank You for Your insights, and also sorry since I know this isn't exactly a thread to ask about this niche, but I sort of piggybacked on previous comments since I was quite unsuccessful elsewhere.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #911
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So You are saying, panel view can be obtained on a paperwhite? And not the one via KCC, rather with panels created by user? Does that mean I just input azw3 rather than Kfx in the console, and a similar result can be obtained?
There are different ways you can proceed. What you chose may depend on whether this is a project for yourself or a comic you plan to sell as a Kindle book on Amazon.

1. You can produce an EPUB that follows Chapter 12 (Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels) of the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines. This can be tested using the Kindle Previewer, which can also export a KF8 .mobi file for reading on Kindle devices.

2. You can generate a KF8 .mobi file using Amazon's Kindle Comic Creator GUI application. This can also be read on Kindles.

3. You can produce a KPF file using Amazon's Kindle Create GUI application in comic mode. You can publish that on Amazon or convert to KFX (using my KFX Output plugin) and sideload the result to the Kindle for Android or iOS app. You can also convert it to EPUB (using my KFX Input plugin) and the result should (hopefully!) be usable for method #1.

4. Kindle Comic Converter is a non-Amazon tool that can convert a set of images to a KF8 MOBI with a simple panel view. I don't have any experience with it.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #912
steakhutzeee
Enthusiast
steakhutzeee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Hi, would like to ask what is the best format to convert from. Is it epub? Or there is not a preferred one?
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #913
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
Hi, would like to ask what is the best format to convert from. Is it epub? Or there is not a preferred one?
All books are converted to EPUB by this plugin before being sent to the Kindle Previewer. Starting with EPUB will usually yield the best results.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:13 AM   #914
Ico
Enthusiast

Quote:
There are different ways you can proceed. What you chose may depend on whether this is a project for yourself or a comic you plan to sell as a Kindle book on Amazon.

1. You can produce an EPUB that follows Chapter 12 (Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels) of the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines. This can be tested using the Kindle Previewer, which can also export a KF8 .mobi file for reading on Kindle devices.

2. You can generate a KF8 .mobi file using Amazon's Kindle Comic Creator GUI application. This can also be read on Kindles.

3. You can produce a KPF file using Amazon's Kindle Create GUI application in comic mode. You can publish that on Amazon or convert to KFX (using my KFX Output plugin) and sideload the result to the Kindle for Android or iOS app. You can also convert it to EPUB (using my KFX Input plugin) and the result should (hopefully!) be usable for method #1.

4. Kindle Comic Converter is a non-Amazon tool that can convert a set of images to a KF8 MOBI with a simple panel view. I don't have any experience with it.
Thank You Very much, For that detailed and in-depth illustration. When I first saw it I thought I was misunderstood, and now I feel like it's a philosophy classic, You get something new on each read I learned a ton.
I thought about kindle create to convert to KF8, but then I realized it doesn't offer that. Shame since KC offers automatic panel detection with minimal tweaks. But as You then elaborated it would be possible to use Your amazing KFX Input (which I also have installed). I hope Kindle comic creator offers auto-panel detection, since that would be great since it skips the middle-man ang goes straight to KF8. When I fire it up I'll be sure to update the thread on the progress, so then if You feel like it You can post on the first post so people, so hopefully there would be less off-topic, from individuals such as myself. I think the main misunderstanding comes from the dogmatic thinking that kfx is the holygrail, and only it is usable for images on a kindle, I certainly never thought to look in KF8 direction.
Thank You very much for the current and previous help, You solved a long lasting dilema of mine, as well as a source of annoyment.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #915
Oronare
Banned
Oronare began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 7"
Anyone else have this problem? Whenever I convert to KFX from any other format (EPUB, AZW3) all of the titles get left aligned.

The text is fully justified as normal, and full justification is on in the kindle settings. I'm changing nothing in the conversion window of calibre.

When converting to azw3 from epub everything stays perfect, titles centred.
Oronare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine