Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #166
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Ok, well there's Carta 1000, 1100, 1200 & 1250.
Good luck getting a spec of detail or release date on any of those.

The 1200 seems to be from this year, the Kobo Sage & Clarissa being the first two known examples.

Maybe, and I'm only saying maybe, they list previously available models that were made with Carta XXXX as Carta 1200 because they just throw the latest Carta film on anything that they are making at the time. That would explain why all the info out of Eink only says "Carta".

Still, I'll be amazed if the new Glow (with capacitive touch) looks much different from the Glow2 (with capacitive touch). It seems that getting rid of a touch layer (like with the Glow3 IR model) is a bigger deal than Carta 1234.
The Kobo Libra 2 also uses a Carta 1200 screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:00 PM   #167
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Why do most of the outlets who've mentioned the GlowLight 4's release keep repeating, "The first Nook Glowlight released in four years" — totally ignoring the 7.8" Nook GlowLight Plus released in 2019? Do they all get their "news" from the same clueless source?

EDIT: In the Verge you get the attached picture, which definitely makes you think the GL4 is much smaller than the GL3.
The bezels of the the nooks are silly large. Good that the bezel on the G4 has gotten smaller even though not smaller enough.

This is an odd release as 6" screen seem to be going the way of the Dodo.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-06-2021 at 03:02 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #168
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The bezels of the the nooks are silly large. Good that the bezel on the G4 has gotten smaller even though not smaller enough.
Your opinion noted... again. Some of us like how comfortable it is to hold the GlowLight 3, specifically because of the larger bezels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is an odd release as 6" screen seem to be going the way of the Dodo.
Actually... no, it isn't.

Kobo: Nia, Clara (both 6")

Kindle: Kindle 10th generation (6")

PocketBook: Color, Touch Lux 5, Touch HD 3, Basic 4, Basic Lux 2 (all 6")

Tolino: Page 2, Shine 3 (both 6")

Nook: GlowLight 4 (and still advertising the GlowLight 3, both 6")

Onyx Boox: Poke 3, Faust 3, Faust 4, Vasco da Gamma 4, Volta 3, Darwin 7 (all 6")

Boyue: Likebook P6 (6")

InkBook: Calypso Plus (6")

Basically all that has changed recently is that Kindle moved the Paperwhite from 6" to 6.8". But they sell and advertise the previous generations of Paperwhites as well. Yes, there's bigger screens available, but that doesn't mean the 6" screen is gone. (As you can see.)

Last edited by rcentros; 12-06-2021 at 04:45 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:35 PM   #169
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There are two models called Glowlight Plus. The current model is a 7.8" thing that has the amber light. Looks like this:

Then there's the one I linked to. The 2015 Glowlight Plus (internally called Glow 2). It has a 6" screen and no warmlight. Looks like this:

(The hand holding it is optional. Does not come with purchase)
Oh. I thought you were talking about the New Nook. Which does have the Amber light.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:39 PM   #170
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like the Nook GlowLight 4 can now be ordered online. According to the test checkout, if I choose expedited shipping the GL4 would be delivered on Thursday, 12/9. (And, no, I'm not ordering one.)
Old 12-06-2021, 07:17 PM   #171
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
And, no, I'm not ordering one.
Well, I'm stupiderer than you! I just ordered one!
I had actually checked this morning and they weren't available.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Edit: It shipped last night, maybe here Friday.

Last edited by Renate; 12-07-2021 at 05:04 AM.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:03 PM   #172
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Oh. I thought you were talking about the New Nook. Which does have the Amber light.
Even though the message you quoted described it as:
Quote:
the 2015 6" Glowlight Plus
And specifically mentioned that it doesn't have the amber light?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:47 PM   #173
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Well, I'm stupiderer than you! I just ordered one!
I had actually checked this morning and they weren't available.
Thanks for the heads-up.
I might have done so if I hadn't already bought two new readers this year. — a PocketBook HD 3 and a Kobo Clara HD. The only other new eReader I had bought before this year was a Nook Simple Touch in 2011, so I'm way above my quota.

Of course I'll be reading the reviews on the GL4. I'm happy B&N is staying in the Nook business.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:04 PM   #174
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
OK you guys. Just a week ago I posted that I didn’t want to go back to a 6 inch reader, but now I am interested. I have always loved my Nooks. Does anyone know the weight of the GL4? The GL 7.8 is a little heavier than I would like.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:05 PM   #175
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
I'm not seeing a 10% discount on ordering online with my B&N Membership. I suppose I'll drive ~30 mins to grab the product in-store on Wednesday.

Edit - Nevermind! Seeing the discount and even a larger one, as it's calling it an "Employee discount of -15% off" for some reason... I'll take it.

Last edited by christianbk; 12-06-2021 at 11:21 PM.
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:38 PM   #176
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
OK you guys. Just a week ago I posted that I didn’t want to go back to a 6 inch reader, but now I am interested. I have always loved my Nooks. Does anyone know the weight of the GL4? The GL 7.8 is a little heavier than I would like.
I think I read somewhere it was 6 ounces, which would make it about 171 grams. And in the B&N announcement they said this was the lightest Nook eReader yet — so that figures sounds about right. In comparison the GL3 weighed 6.7 ounces (190 grams). The 7.8" Glowlight Plus is 9.6 ounces (272 grams). The 6" GL Plus weighed 6.9 ounces (196 grams), the GlowLight (1, original) was the previous lightest at 175 grams. The Simple Touch was about 212 grams. The original Nook was 329 grams (WiFi version) and 343 grams for the Cellular/WiFi version.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:15 AM   #177
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Even though the message you quoted described it as:

And specifically mentioned that it doesn't have the amber light?
Your response in bold after you quoted someone talking about the 4.

Quote:
I am sure it won't be long for me to move to a newer one. Will have to see how the GL 4 looks, plan on going to the B&N to see it.

I was really hoping it would be waterproof and have the orange light. But I'll still be going to check one out anyway.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:21 AM   #178
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ST Nook w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
I have a Simple Touch with Glowlight myself and really enjoy using it. I also have a Glowlight 3, but the better half took it, so I don't get to use it much.

If you're looking to move from the Simple Touch, want to stick with Nook and want an upgrade (and don't mind losing the buttons) you might like the 2015 6" Glowlight Plus. You can pick one up cheap on eBay. It uses the same screen as the 3, it is waterproof and has a metal body. And it doesn't have the orange light. I really like mine.

I was really hoping it would be waterproof and have the orange light. But I'll still be going to check one out anyway.
Ok, I will check into it. Thanks for the info.
rhyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #179
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post

Your response in bold after you quoted someone talking about the 4.

Quote:
I am sure it won't be long for me to move to a newer one. Will have to see how the GL 4 looks, plan on going to the B&N to see it.

Okay, I'm sure this is tiresome for everyone else, so this'll be my last go:

You quoted the message, but cut the relevant part:
Quote:
If you're looking to move from the Simple Touch, want to stick with Nook and want an upgrade (and don't mind losing the buttons) you might like the 2015 6" Glowlight Plus. You can pick one up cheap on eBay. It uses the same screen as the 3, it is waterproof and has a metal body. And it doesn't have the orange light. I really like mine.
Incidentally, the part you bolded was in response to the upcoming Glowlight 4. I was really hoping it would be both waterproof and have an orange light.

The 2015 Plus is waterproof, but no orange light.

The 3 is not waterproof, but has the orange light.

I was hoping (expecting, really) that the 4 would have both. Alas, it does not

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-07-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #180
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

GoodEreader has an unboxing. Not much to it, but you can see the device:

Tags
nook