Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Question Owners of both Kindle and Sony PRS-505

Which device are you using more often? I'm thinking of selling one or the other, but I'm not sure which one to keep. I've been having lots of fun with the Sony, using conversion software and downloading all the freebies. But I'll also go to the Kindle for a download of the newest best seller that I have to read right away - it's my "quick fix" device!

Does it make sense to have both devices?
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNerd View Post
Does it make sense to have both devices?
No, you should sell me the Kindle for $50.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
We own both, I liked the looks of the Sony where we thought the Kindle would be easier for the better half to purchase books. I never use her Kindle and she doesn't touch my Sony. We are happy
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
We own both, I liked the looks of the Sony where we thought the Kindle would be easier for the better half to purchase books. I never use her Kindle and she doesn't touch my Sony. We are happy
So, you don't share books?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I have a Sony 505 and have had my hands on a Kindle for the last few days and sort of prefer the Sony. I find it too easy to accidentally turn the pages on the Kindle and it feels a bit plastic-y to me. OTOH, I love the wireless interface and the convenience of using the Kindle.

If I was lucky enough to own both I'd damn sure keep 'em.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nope, she reads entirely fiction, I read bios and historical stuff, true crime stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, you don't share books?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #7
Smashwords
Connoisseur
Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I would second Cassidym's complaint about the Kindle's page turning. It's very difficult to hold the Kindle for long periods of time without accidently flipping forward many pages, and it's difficult to find your way back. Nearly the entire right hand side of the device has a page turning bar as its edge.

On the plus side, I like the wireless component and the ability to download a book anywhere. It's also easy to import DRM-free .mobi files of other books from your PC.
Smashwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #8
Shenzhov
Enthusiast
Shenzhov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've had a 505 for about 4 months and a Kindle for 2 weeks. I love the Kindle and have not used the Sony since it arrived. I find the buttons on the Sony much too hard to push and the little buttons on the right will jump 5 or 10 pages ahead if you push them a bit too long. I find the Kindle much more enjoyable to read with and don't find the paging a problem at all. Lots of free content for the Kindle just as for the Sony, but the wireless on the Kindle is amazing. Not being anchored to a computer in order to purchase content is wonderful.
Shenzhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:40 AM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I've got a PRS 505 and I love it. One thing about the Kindle--I know I'd spend way too much money on books if I had it! With the Sony I can't do the kind of impulse buying I'd be bound to do with the Kindle!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenzhov View Post
Not being anchored to a computer in order to purchase content is wonderful.
I'm a Sony fan ( 505). I had considered the Kindle before opting for the Sony but chose the Sony because the Kindle was too much like my laptop -- and when I read, I want to be as far from the idea of work as possible .

Most of the raves I read for the Kindle focus on the wireless capability. My take on that is this: First, it is a Sprint network, so if you have trouble with Sprint cell phone coverage in your area (or wherever you happen to be), then the wireless isn't any advantage.

Second, the readers -- both the Kindle and the Sony -- hold more books than I could read in a month of doing nothing but reading, so I don't see what the downside is to having to plug my Sony into my computer to download content or the upside to being able to wirelessly buy books. I spend my workday sitting at my computer so spending a few minutes to add to my Sony doesn't seem to me to be a big deal -- especially as this is not a daily task. I keep 60-80 books on the Sony, so even if I start one that is poorly written, I can move on to another. And those 60-80 books still leave me 140MB of memory on my sony for even more books.

Third, using the Sony is an experience closer to reading a paperback than is using the Kindle. And it is the reading experience that I want, not the computer experience. Truthfully, rather than buy a Kindle I would buy a small laptop. It can do the same as the Kindle plus more for just a little bit more money. Settling for a Kindle seems like settling for a half loaf if the big draws are wireless and a keyboard. Why not get the full loaf?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
sjohnson717
sjohnson717 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Apple iPad
I have both: choose the Kindle

Both the Sony 505 and the Amazon Kindle use the same screen so it comes down to buttons and software. In short, the Amazon Kindle wins.

Sony is a hardware company. Their software and service is really poor. Product support is non-existent which is why I found this forum--trying to get an answer to any non-sales question from Sony is almost impossible. The client software for buying and installing books attempts to copy iTunes without any of the elegance. Sony's fonts are ugly Window fonts and italics are just slanted letters rather than an actual italic font. However, you can easily load free books in RTF format; this is virtually impossible on the Kindle. You can also load PDFs but you can't really read them--it sounds better in the brochure than it really is.

The Kindle hardware is clumsy--buttons everywhere!--but the software makes up for it. The fonts are more readable. You can mark or annotate passages for review later. You can buy books (perhaps too easily!) and they are loaded wirelessly to your Kindle. However, getting free books and documents into Kindle is convoluted; you email them to Kindle but the author becomes your email address. Annoying. If you are a power-user, you can convert doc or pdf files using utilities but you really gotta want it.

If you want to buy and read books, get a Kindle. If you want to load an ebook with free books, the Sony may be marginally better.

In the end, the Sony was built by people who love hardware; the Kindle was built by people who love books. I imagine Sony will discontinue this--or stop improving it--in 18-24 months when they get bored while Amazon will continue to bring out new versions.

In an ideal world, I would prefer the Sony hardware with the Kindle software.
sjohnson717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson717 View Post
However, you can easily load free books in RTF format; this is virtually impossible on the Kindle.
Sorry - "virtually impossible"? How long does it take to convert an RTF file to Mobi format using MobiPocket Creator?

Quote:
However, getting free books and documents into Kindle is convoluted; you email them to Kindle but the author becomes your email address. Annoying.
Why not just upload them directly via the USB connection? There are vast numbers of free books available in MobiPocket format which the Kindle can read directly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #13
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I have both and I do use both, but I prefer the Kindle. I have read the complaints about how easy it is to turn the page accidentally with Kindle, but my own feelings are exactly the opposite. I read my Kindle in its cover, and I find it very comfortable to hold the cover and whap the page-turn button with my hand or finger when I need to. I can move my hand around and still reach the button.

With the Sony, the button is quite small. Add that to the small page size (which means I am turning the page quite often) and I get cramped hands from having to keep my hand in exactly the right position to hit that tiny button every few seconds.

Sony could, I think, solve this problem very nicely by offering a USB remote control...plug it into the USB port on the reader and have bigger buttons to avoid the hand-cramping problem. Until/unless they do that, I think the Kindle is more comfortable for long reading sessions.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Sony could, I think, solve this problem very nicely by offering a USB remote control...plug it into the USB port on the reader and have bigger buttons to avoid the hand-cramping problem.
The Sony, like all eBook readers except the iLiad, can only act as a USB client, not as a USB "host". What you are suggesting couldn't, therefore, be done.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
However, you can easily load free books in RTF format; this is virtually impossible on the Kindle.
The Mobipocket Reader software will import an RTF file and convert it to Mobi format with very little problems.

Quote:
However, getting free books and documents into Kindle is convoluted; you email them to Kindle but the author becomes your email address.
I guess you haven't found Feedbooks yet. You can download from them via Wispernet just as easily as getting a book from the Kindle store using the device. See http://feedbooks.com/help/kindle .

Quote:
Annoying. If you are a power-user, you can convert doc or pdf files using utilities but you really gotta want it.
As I said above, Mobipocket reader software does this easily. Downside of course is that it is Windows only software.

Quote:
I imagine Sony will discontinue this--or stop improving it--in 18-24 months when they get bored <snip>
This I very much doubt. eBooks and eBook readers are at the very early stage. There is alot of money to be made once the market hits _The Tipping Point_ ($7.99 on the Kindle store BTW).

BTW: I also have the Sony 500 and the Kindle. Had the Sony over a year and the Kindle for 2 days now.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 05-25-2008 at 12:12 PM.