Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
ack!Hobos!
ack!Hobos! began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Post-Root Battery Life experiences? Please contribute!

Hello. There is only one thread on this anywhere on the net and it is very old without many posts. The PRS-T1 has been around long enough now that many root users should have a fair idea of battery life.

Approximately how many hours are you rooted PRS-T1 owners getting? Is it worse than before? Have you found methods to compensate? Does the app used to read make a difference in your experience?

Most of the people mentioning a difference say it is significantly worse after rooting. However there are also the occasional post with someone who doesn't notice a difference. Assume the PRS-T1 was fully charged when rooted (or that the battery has since been recalibrated).

Please post regardless if your experience is positive or negative or even if you feel your opinion isn't noteworthy. Thanks guys! I love the forum!

edit: BAH! Didn't include PRS-T1 in the thread title. If there be a MODERATOR please change the title to clarify! Thanks!

Last edited by ack!Hobos!; 07-16-2012 at 10:48 PM.
ack!Hobos! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
robyshot
Enthusiast
robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Prs T1
with the porkupan root i felt that the it didn't afftect battery life at all,now with AMR it seems it is a bit shorter (but maybe it's due to the battery % always visible that maybe tricks me)

i'm testing this app (with porkupan root worked very good)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fe.taskmanager
robyshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
Venzent
Venzent will become famous soon enoughVenzent will become famous soon enoughVenzent will become famous soon enoughVenzent will become famous soon enoughVenzent will become famous soon enoughVenzent will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I did the Minimal Root and deleted all non-critical apps. Use Fbreader to read, read approx. 1-1,5 hrs a day and get between 3-4 weeks out of 1 battery charge. Did root it after a couple of weeks, so can't compare it to pre-root.
Don't use WiFi, Notes or anything, just reading.
Venzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
Zmol
Zmol began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
I rooted with minimal root and Morkls package and 3 weeks without reading drains the battery completely... Considering unrooting...

Once the battery is at 60% or so 1 hour of browsing/using wifi will drain the battery entirely
Zmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
MCSmarties
Enthusiast
MCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I also rooted with AMR and deleted "non-essential" apps (as per my guide).
I use the standard Sony reader.
My battery seems to drop about 5% a day while reading about 2 hours (I also regularly turn off the normal refresh mode to check my offline wikipedia).
I'm not really worried since I connect to calibre almost every day anyway.
MCSmarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
I recently had a case where the book database update notification (the spinny circle thing in the top-left of the notification area) was on continuously and battery disappeared alarmingly quickly. A reboot of the reader "fixed" it, and I haven't had a battery life problem since (nor had I had a problem prior to that).

My T1 is rooted, but I have no idea if this contributed to the problem.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
I have battery-life issues as well: Often, the battery is depleted after two or three days of light use.

Using the BetterBatteryStats app, I found that two processes named “switcher” and “PowerManagerService” seem to prevent the device from going into deep sleep by hogging the kernel wakelock. I don't know what “switcher” does. “PowerManagerService” appears to be the kernel component of all partial wakelocks; here, the “surface drawing lock” seems to be the culprit, which seems to be related to the Kindle app.

From some cursory experimentation, the battery seems to last longer (that is, apps, especially the Kindle app, behave more civilized) when Wifi is on standby rather then switched off completely.
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
boy! - at least I'm not the only one!! There's a workaround to the switcher issue:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181673
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-t1