Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-10-2022, 05:49 PM   #16
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Are you referring to the ones that take on this style? (I've actually not read the LOTR trilogy yet! It's a planned Christmas purchase though )
It seems to be a black and white version of the original cover...
https://github.com/KarellenX/book-co...3d534cbba300d1
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:01 PM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Most of the time I stay with the cover given (if any*), but if it offends me enough I'll change it. Or sometimes I'll update so a series retains a consistent set (not something I was able to do with my paper books.)

* Not so much now perhaps, but for a long time a lot of tradpub ebooks came without a cover (just the standard plain-paper thing), and I'd normally add a proper cover on those.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2022, 06:13 PM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I usually don't change the cover. I do sometimes if it is a generic text cover.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:16 PM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone have a moral problem with replacing covers?

I believe the consensus is stripping DRM for books that you purchase is fine. Is downloading copyrighted covers OK? Is it OK because it is for personal use and not distribution?
Old 12-10-2022, 07:08 PM   #20
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I believe the consensus is stripping DRM for books that you purchase is fine. Is downloading copyrighted covers OK? Is it OK because it is for personal use and not distribution?
Why wouldn't it be?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2022, 07:37 PM   #21
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Most of my books are SF and I usually like the old Ace and Ace Double covers so I replace the modern covers with an old Ace cover if one exists.

The current publisher Armchair fiction also does similar covers including those for Ace Double type books. I have also used these.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:57 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If I have the Pbook, I use that cover.
If I really hate the cover (happens with some republished by Author after rights revert), I make a more generic one using Generate Cover PI in Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:40 PM   #23
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would if there was free software that I could use to convert a color cover into one that is 16 levels of gray and the software understood the colors so that it could increase the contrast where it looks decent in color but not in grayscale.

So many books have nice color covers when I look at them in calibre on my pc and then on my Kobo I can barely make out the details.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 01:15 AM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I would if there was free software that I could use to convert a color cover into one that is 16 levels of gray and the software understood the colors so that it could increase the contrast where it looks decent in color but not in grayscale.

So many books have nice color covers when I look at them in calibre on my pc and then on my Kobo I can barely make out the details.
Have you looked at ImageWorsener? Basic setting would be -grayscale and -depthgray 4 (or -depthcc 16). I did a batch file that basically runs the input file through various dithering algorithms and then eyeball them since oddly enough, I find that some images look better with different dithering algorithms.

As to why the name ImageWorsener? To quote the documentation:

Quote:
All nontrivial automated image processing causes a loss of information.
While ImageWorsener will degrade your images, its goal is to degrade them as
little as possible.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:57 AM   #25
Thertzler
Thertzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thertzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thertzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thertzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thertzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thertzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thertzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thertzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thertzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thertzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thertzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I mostly view my book collection as a collection of covers so having good looking covers is very important to me.
I replace the cover around 90% of the time since the provided cover tends to be either ugly or fine but not high resolution enough. There are plenty of books that I only read, or at least read much sooner, because I changed the cover to something more engaging than they had before. Typing it out like this admittedly sounds a little silly, but this is legitimately the reason why I put so much effort into finding the best possible cover, even if that means using a cover from another edition.

Sometimes the best looking cover is only available (in high enough resolution) as a photo of the book itself and I have to crop and perspective-transform to get it nice and flat again.
Other times a cover is great but has those obnoxious stickers/labels on it about being the "Winner of the It's a Book Prize" or "17th Anniversary Edition" or stuff like that, so if I can't find the cover without it and the underlying design isn't too intricate I just photoshop those out entirely.
If I'm feeling particularly picky I also sometimes edit out mentions "With a foreword by [...]" If my particular ebook edition does not include said foreword, but most of the time it doesn't bother me.
Thertzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:02 AM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Why wouldn't it be?
Because you are most likely downloading (and using) copyrighted material, something you do not have permission to use?

If I own a paper book, does that mean I can download copies of the ebook.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:54 AM   #27
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thertzler View Post
I mostly view my book collection as a collection of covers so having good looking covers is very important to me.
I replace the cover around 90% of the time...
I'm with @Thertzler on this. The vast majority of my covers are replaced (and resized). Calibre downloads covers and sometimes comes up with good results, sometimes not. When Calibre fails me in this department I go to Google and search for "image book cover artwork Name Of The Book Or Author" and pick one from those results. For old books you sometimes find the best cover is something somebody manually scanned. Those I often run through GIMP and crop, adjust perspective, improve exposure and color, etc.

Of most importance to me are the covers when I have a series. I want to be able to visually recognize a series as a series. So I search out covers of the same style so the series matches. And those hideous Gutenberg covers? Those are replaced every single time. No way would I allow one of those horrid things into my collection. Even Calibres auto-generated covers beat that Gutenberg stuff by a mile. I can't imagine what was going through the minds of those Gutenberg folks when they chose those covers.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:30 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post

Free and/or Open Source
IrfranView on Windows is simple.
More powerful is the GIMP, so takes longer to use (many platforms)
ImageMagick: Command line and can do stuff with motion pngs, PDFs and conversion, not just contrast, brightness, colour to mono and bit depth.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-11-2022 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

It's a no-no to print and replace covers on paper books as removal of cover may mean the price was refunded and the book marked as destroyed.

Covers are adverts or part of adverts. Adverts are not covered by copyright in the same way (you can't re-use for some other product). So downloading cover from advert of book (and any site like Goodreads, owned now by Amazon, is advertising, even Storygraph) for that book in your library is not the same as downloading contents in copyright without rightful purchase. Titles themselves are not copyright either.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:51 AM   #30
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I don't browse (or even see) books by cover, so they hardly affect me.
Some horrendous cover (like Gutenberg) I only have to see for the fraction of a second it takes me to hit "next page".
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote