Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-17-2022, 03:14 PM   #16
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
New Orleans $50/yr --Overdrive 34,000 but also Hoopla and Cloud Library
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:24 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm quite surprised, especially as it was only a few months back that Brooklyn offered free out-of-state cards to teenagers.
Those free cards are still being offered:

Out-of-State Residents (non-NYS residents)
Quote:
Teens and young adults ages 13-21 outside of New York State can apply for a free Books Unbanned eCard. This card provides access to BPL’s entire digital collection and helps connect young people facing censorship and book bans in their communities with materials that explore a wider range of topics. You can support the Books Unbanned initiative by making a donation.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2022, 06:32 PM   #18
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found another library offering non-resident cards remotely.

Metropolitan Library System of Oklahoma City: $70/yr Overdrive 186,000 + Hoopla.

I chatted with a woman there, and she told me this, "Yes, you can email us at askalibrarian@metrolibrary.org with your name, date of birth, phone number, and address. With that information, we'll be able to create the account and get you set up to pay the $70 annual fee online."
Old 07-17-2022, 07:25 PM   #19
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'd happily pay more than I already do - it's not free.
Me too. But if Brooklyn raised the price, the patrons who subsidize others, by using it rarely, would drop, so that might not help them financially.

And my Brooklyn card, first purchased in person in 2012, expires on August 1

I have a handful of cards from Pennsylvania libraries (most PA libraries give free cards if you live in state and stop by physically).

I pay for the Jewish Public Library in Montreal (web-only annual membership is just $18, but they only have 1,807 English language EPUB's), and still can use the small Taipei Public Library Overdrive collection from having briefly lived there. But Brooklyn was by far the best match to my interests.

Oklahoma City has a big collection but may not be a good match for what I want to read. Maybe I'll try Queens.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 07-18-2022 at 08:28 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:20 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Non-Resident Library Cards -- updated 16 Jul 2022

Note: this list is not complete

Restricted Non-Resident Library Cards
Former Non-Resident Library Cards.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2022, 10:06 PM   #21
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

I signed up for the Metropolitan card. Very fast and easy.

They have three titles Brooklyn didn't have.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:32 PM   #22
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I signed up for the Metropolitan card. Very fast and easy.

They have three titles Brooklyn didn't have.
That one looks like a great alternative, they have a bunch of stuff on my list that Brooklyn doesn't have yet. I'm good at Brooklyn until next June but I'll keep this one in mind.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:03 AM   #23
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
[*]Monroe County (NY) -- $25/year
Monroe also allows non-US citizens to apply for an eCard. Countries are selectable from the application form.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:45 AM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It looks as if Detroit is in-person only. It’s also the worst deal of the list as far as OverDrive goes; you’d really need to be able to access the physical library.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:30 AM   #25
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Non-Resident Library Cards -- updated 16 Jul 2022

Note: this list is not complete
The Chapel Hill Public Library is my local library. I've had a card there since 1999. I paid the out of county fee for the 5 years I lived in Charlotte as I found it to be a better library than what Charlotte had to offer. They boast the highest circulation in all of the state of North Carolina. If anyone has specific questions about this one, I'd be happy to answer. I *think* poohbear might also have a card here though he lives a few miles outside of town in a neighboring county.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:27 AM   #26
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I always kind of thought it was unfair to the local taxpayers who built the libraries and paid the help with their taxes.

Per capita tax going to libraries is a few dollars a year at most, and by all accounts, many of the people paying taxes don't use the libraries. Compare that to someone who wants to use the library paying $50 directly to them, and I'm not sure how "unfair" comes into it.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:37 AM   #27
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'm quite surprised, especially as it was only a few months back that Brooklyn offered free out-of-state cards to teenagers.
I guess it's good my daughter got that deal while she could.

As mentioned above, Free Library of Philadelphia also stopped their out of state program several years back, but whether by design or by accident, my armed forces free card has continued to work, so I'm trying to keep my head down and be thankful.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:08 AM   #28
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
^^And Queens: Annual fee $50. 48,000 epubs, but 86,000 OverDrive Reads, which is unfortunate. Assuming entire overlap, that’s roughly 40,000 books that can only be read in a browser.
Where did you see these numbers? I'm seeing 98,000 ebooks, 10,000 audiobooks. I don't see any breakdown for epubs vs. OverDrive Reads. I've only encountered OverDrive Reads for some magazines (but then again, I mostly access audiobooks).

Queens also uses Axis360 for ebooks and audiobooks; I don't know how many titles.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:25 AM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Per capita tax going to libraries is a few dollars a year at most, and by all accounts, many of the people paying taxes don't use the libraries. Compare that to someone who wants to use the library paying $50 directly to them, and I'm not sure how "unfair" comes into it.
According to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg library website:

Quote:
Non-residents of Mecklenburg County can obtain a Charlotte Mecklenburg Library card for an annual fee, which is approximately equal to the annual property tax a Mecklenburg County resident pays to support the Library.
So at $45, quite a bit more than just a few dollars per capita - and the non-resident cards are also explicitly household cards. And as you yourself said, a lot of townspeople don’t use the library at all, or use it minimally - but they have no choice in terms of subsidy. So it seems virtually certain to me that someone who opts in at the same price is someone who’s going to be a heavier user.

I don’t know that “unfair” is the accurate term to use in these situations; the library sets a fee and people pay it. However, I think in a lot of cases the library doesn’t understand its costs and how they relate to this particular revenue stream, and that’s why libraries such as FLP and now Brooklyn have cut off non-residents; they finally crunched the numbers.

I’ve read 35 library books so far this year; let’s round that down to a rate of 60/year. Some of those were books with an unlimited license and no waitlist. But the vast majority were books with an exploding license or waitlist or both, so those transactions had a cost. It’s hard for me to see how $50 would cover that. And especially for libraries which offer Hoopla to paid patrons; Hoopla is hugely expensive.

Last edited by issybird; 07-18-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:29 AM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Where did you see these numbers? I'm seeing 98,000 ebooks, 10,000 audiobooks. I don't see any breakdown for epubs vs. OverDrive Reads. I've only encountered OverDrive Reads for some magazines (but then again, I mostly access audiobooks).

Queens also uses Axis360 for ebooks and audiobooks; I don't know how many titles.
Use advanced search and filter on epub; that’s where I got the number. It’s a few thousand more than Kindle books. Similarly, you can filer by OverDrive Reads.

Knowing that Queens uses Axis360, I guessed that “OverDrive Reads” was search-speak for the Axis360 holdings. But in any case, it does seem as if epubs/Kindle books amount to half the ebook holdings.

https://queenslibrary.overdrive.com/...tBy=newlyadded

ETA: OK, I’ve looked around more and see you have to access the Axis360 books from the main library web page, so I was wrong about that. That’s a lot of magazines, then! And the 48,000 represents half the content on OverDrive alone.

Last edited by issybird; 07-18-2022 at 11:38 AM.