Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2022, 12:43 PM   #826
Rickkins
Groupie
Rickkins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite G000PP(5.10.0.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As katadelos said: an empty file called 'DO_FACTORY_RESTORE' (without the quotes). On Windows, you could right click on a blank spot on the desktop, hover on New and then click on Text document. This will result in a zero-length file on your desktop. Rename the file from 'New Text Document.txt' to 'DO_FACTORY_RESTORE' removing the .txt extension during the rename. Copy that file to the root of your Kindle's exposed storage, safely eject and then restart your Kindle.

This does assume that your Kindle is mounting as a drive so you can copy a file to it.

Edit: since you can't attach a file with a blank attachment, I zipped the file and then attached the .zip file to this message. Extract DO_FACTORY_RESTORE from the .zip file and copy to your Kindle in the root of the exposed storage.
Thanks mate. In fact I did just that yesterday, first trying as DO_FACTORY_RESTORE.aws, and then once more without the file extension. Made the file first with notepad then first changed the extension, and then removed it. Neither version worked. I'll give her another go doing it the way you said. Thanks, fellow Canadian...
Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #827
Rickkins
Groupie

Tried it a few more times, no joy.

You state: Copy that file to the root of your Kindle's exposed storage, safely eject and then restart your Kindle.

Just to be clear, E:\Kindle is where it goes, yes...??
Advert
Old 12-05-2022, 01:59 PM   #828
Rickkins
Groupie

So what are my options now that everything seems to have failed...??
Jailbreak failed.
Adding file to :\kindle failed.
Can't get it out of demo mode.
Shipping Mode Failed.(Unable to enter shipping mode owing to
missing dictionaries or fonts.)

FW=5.14.2 (3807290060)

Any thoughts..??
Old 12-05-2022, 02:19 PM   #829
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Perhaps you can force a firmware update to 5.14.2 by copying it to the Kindle and then doing a hard reset?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:22 PM   #830
mandarancza
mandarancza began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Hey, i have successfully jailbroken my pw5 on fw 5.14.2. My question is, would there be any noticeable drawbacks if I never updated the firmware? I know in theory you could do that after a jailbreak, but I'd rather not if it's not mandatory. I only use koreader now, so the ui doesn't really matter to me. I'm only asking about some drivers and stuff.
mandarancza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2022, 05:41 PM   #831
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Once they have been jailbroken I have never updated the firmware on any of my kindles.

Kindles firmware updates consist of the entire OS and all apllications. There are no driver updates except those lumped in with everything else being updated.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:50 PM   #832
Rickkins
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Perhaps you can force a firmware update to 5.14.2 by copying it to the Kindle and then doing a hard reset?

Dave
That's what I already have. Would that be akin to doing a factory reset...??
Where might I find find such a firmware to download..??

Thanks
Old 12-06-2022, 11:20 AM   #833
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
That's what I already have. Would that be akin to doing a factory reset...??
Where might I find find such a firmware to download..??

Thanks
You should be able to go on the Amazon web site and locate the download link for the latest firmware for your Kindle. Edit the link to reflect the 5.14.2 version you want as opposed to the 5.15.x that is the current release. Download it to your computer and then copy it into your Kindle folder.

I m suggesting you try this due to the messages you noted about missing files, suggesting that somehow your firmware was damaged. This should correct that problem and be allowed by the current firmware as it is not a down level firmware.

Dave
Old 12-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #834
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:

Dave
A firmware upgrade is unlikely to work as the demo mode flag is stored in /var/local and wouldn't be removed by an upgrade. I've already given this user a solution that should work (in another thread) but they're choosing to ignore it for some reason
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:14 PM   #835
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
A firmware upgrade is unlikely to work as the demo mode flag is stored in /var/local and wouldn't be removed by an upgrade. I've already given this user a solution that should work (in another thread) but they're choosing to ignore it for some reason
I was unaware of this. I saw the post in this thread where he mentioned he could not enable shipping mode due to missing files, which led me to suspect damaged firmware.

I hope that he will manage to follow your directions now.

Dave
Old 12-06-2022, 05:25 PM   #836
Rickkins
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
Was that the post where you called me dishonest, while you gave me the solution after I had just said that I had tried that to no avail...??

Riddle me this, batman, who's being dishonest now...???

Old 12-06-2022, 05:30 PM   #837
Rickkins
Groupie

Quote:
I was unaware of this. I saw the post in this thread where he mentioned he could not enable shipping mode due to missing files, which led me to suspect damaged firmware.

I hope that he will manage to follow your directions now.

Dave
Alas, I followed his instruction before he ever gave them to me, which he already knew. Kindle hacking may not be my forte, but I'm smart enough to try every solution given to me by someone more knowledgeable, about kindles.

I have tried every single suggestion given to me so far, to no avail. Otherwise, I wouldn't still be asking.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #838
Rickkins
Groupie

And I do apologize to the other members for any unseemly posts. A man has little choice but to defend himself when attacked for no reason.

I mean, it's already frustrating enough trying and failing to get the jailbreak done without being subject to unwarranted attacks on top of everything.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:57 AM   #839
szabio
szabio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Hi.
I am an absolute noob to Kindle jailbreaking, and would like to ask a few questions before doing anything (more) stupid.
I bought a second hand Kindle. It is a Kindle Basic 1 (2014) KT2 if I'm interpreting the serial number correctly. (starts with: 90C6)
It had firmware 5.0.something if I remember correctly, but stupidly I started the WiFi, and left the Kindle alone. It updated automatically to 5.12.2.2
If I'm reading correctly the instructions on the first page, I'm still ok and can do the jailbreak?
Is there anything else I should be aware of before I proceed?
Thank you for now.
szabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 01:49 PM   #840
szabio
szabio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Anybody?
szabio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak