Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2023, 01:05 PM   #16
RonOnThePond
Enthusiast
RonOnThePond began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I know it's been a while, but I have just found this thread and my situation is 100% exactly the same as the original post by scruffs, so I won't repeat the question. However, the solution does not apply to me. I found no references to "background-color:" in my calibre file. I am not an html or css expert, but a little dangerous with both, and I think I understand the general issue hobnail described. So now I am asking (and hoping) whether there is anything else that might "causes the Kindle Previewer to insert a new block level element at the highest level" and interfere with page break controls.

Also, I don't know what is meant by "as long as your book has the green "enhanced typesetting" check mark shown." Where is this checkmark, and if it's not checked, can I easily check it and possibly fix this page break issue?

I hope you are still reading this forum. I am beyond frustrated!

Thanks, and have a great day! … Ron
RonOnThePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:47 PM   #17
RonOnThePond
Enthusiast

I found the "enhanced typesetting" indicator, which is checked in green.

Sure would appreciate any help with getting the page-break-after: avoid to work. I even changed all instances to simply break-after, which I believe is the newer version or this. Same result, just as scruffs described.

And if there is no hope, let me know. I guess I can accept that, too. … Ron
Advert
Old 01-22-2023, 04:41 PM   #18
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonOnThePond View Post
I found the "enhanced typesetting" indicator, which is checked in green.

Sure would appreciate any help with getting the page-break-after: avoid to work. I even changed all instances to simply break-after, which I believe is the newer version or this. Same result, just as scruffs described.

And if there is no hope, let me know. I guess I can accept that, too. … Ron
Without any specifics, it is hard to pin down. You could either start completely fresh on your stylesheet (empty) and slowly add in your adjustments until it breaks. Or copy a stylesheet from some other book that doesn't break when it is not supposed to, then adjust to your liking.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:42 PM   #19
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
You could post an example that demonstrates the problem as scruffs did previously in this thread. There is a ScrambleEbook plugin for calibre that can hide the original text but keep the formatting.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:18 PM   #20
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You could post an example that demonstrates the problem as scruffs did previously in this thread. There is a ScrambleEbook plugin for calibre that can hide the original text but keep the formatting.
Isn't there still a 10 post minimum to upload attachments? It would need to be a link to a file sharing.
Advert
Old 01-23-2023, 09:42 AM   #21
RonOnThePond
Enthusiast

I have calibre 6.11, windows 10. I have searched every menu for a way to install a plugin so I could install ScrambleEbook plugin, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install ScrambleEbook. Is there some other way? If I can scramble my book and then provide a dropbox link so you kind people might be able to help me with this, I would be grateful.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:52 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I have calibre 6.11, windows 10. I have searched every menu for a way to install a plugin so I could install ScrambleEbook plugin, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install ScrambleEbook.
See instructions
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...light=Scramble
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:14 AM   #23
RonOnThePond
Enthusiast

Yes, I've read the instructions, which say, "How to install: Preferences - Get plugins to enhance calibre Select Scramble Ebook then press Install"

I have looked at every option under Preferences and found no option to "Get plugins." I have looked under every Calibre menu option and found no option to install a plugin.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:48 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Get Plugins is on my Preferences Menu

However try Ctrl-P for Preferences (control panel)

Then under Advanced -> Plugins

Click "Get new plugins"

Filter list by All or Not Installed

Search Scr
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at 2023-01-23 16-45-47.png
Views:	51
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	199211
Old 01-23-2023, 02:18 PM   #25
RonOnThePond
Enthusiast

Quoth, while looking at your Preferences image (thank you) I finally realized that I was not seeing anything at all like what you see, and now I know why. I have been living in the editor, not the main calibre application, and although there are preferences there, too, they are not the same. So I launched the main calibre program and have installed ScrambleEBook. So obvious, but … not. So I will now proceed to scramble my book. Hopefully a dropbox link will suffice because I am not yet able to upload here.

Let the scramble begin!
(and thanks again).
Old 01-23-2023, 04:57 PM   #26
RonOnThePond
Enthusiast

Here is a dropbox link to my scrambled file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6up9vgjbj8...bled.epub?dl=0

Having seen the image provided by Quoth, I realized that "Preferences" in the editor are not the same as in the main Calibre app. I've been living in the editor for so long that I forgot there was anything else. So I was able to get ScrambleEbook at last!

To recap, my problem relates to page-break functionality. I realize that "avoid" is no guarantee, but none of the settings are working reliably. My situation is practically identical to what Scruffs posted a few years ago, but unfortunately the fix did not apply to me. But I am guessing the broader concept of the fix might. I just don't know how to approach it. I can follow instructions well, and I can muck around in html and css to eventually get the job done (usually). I learn on a need-to-know basis, and it works pretty well for me. But right now, with this page-break-inside/after issue, I am stumped.

Any help would be appreciated greatly, and with a solution, my wife will be able to take me off of suicide watch. … Ron
Old 01-23-2023, 11:50 PM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Here is a dropbox link to my scrambled file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6up9vgjbj8...bled.epub?dl=0

Having seen the image provided by Quoth, I realized that "Preferences" in the editor are not the same as in the main Calibre app. I've been living in the editor for so long that I forgot there was anything else. So I was able to get ScrambleEbook at last!

To recap, my problem relates to page-break functionality. I realize that "avoid" is no guarantee, but none of the settings are working reliably. My situation is practically identical to what Scruffs posted a few years ago, but unfortunately the fix did not apply to me. But I am guessing the broader concept of the fix might. I just don't know how to approach it. I can follow instructions well, and I can muck around in html and css to eventually get the job done (usually). I learn on a need-to-know basis, and it works pretty well for me. But right now, with this page-break-inside/after issue, I am stumped.

Any help would be appreciated greatly, and with a solution, my wife will be able to take me off of suicide watch. … Ron
The problem why it doesn't work right is your line under headings. If you use border-bottom it appears to ignore the break-after. Either get rid of the border-bottoms, or force a break before, or change the first paragraph as shown below.

E.g. the style for your H2:
Code:
.block_21 {
     display: block;
     font-size: 1em;
     font-weight: bold;
     line-height: 1.2;
     break-after: avoid;
     text-align: left;
     text-indent: 0;
     text-transform: uppercase;
     margin: 15pt 0 6pt;
     padding: 0 0 1pt;
     border-bottom: #4F81BD solid 1pt;
}
In red is making the break-after: avoid ignore. Two solutions. Either force a break before your H2 heading that has the line underneath (similiar how you do H1):
Code:
.block_21 {
     font-size: 1em;
     font-weight: bold;
     line-height: 1.2;
     break-before: always;
     break-after: avoid;
     text-align: left;
     text-indent: 0;
     text-transform: uppercase;
     margin: 15pt 0 6pt;
     padding: 0 0 1pt;
     border-bottom: #4F81BD solid 1pt;
}
Or, you could add a "break-before: avoid;" to the first paragraph after a heading. This would also give you the option to remove the indent if you wish. I personally like the first paragraph not indented. For example like this:
Code:
.block_19 {
  text-align: justify;
  text-indent: 36pt;
  line-height: 1em;
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;
}
.block_19_first {
  text-align: justify;
  test-indent: 36pt; //optional change to 0 for no indent
  line-height: 1em;
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;
  break-before: avoid;
}
Should work just fine.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-24-2023 at 12:00 AM. Reason: added color for better emphasis of changes
Old 01-24-2023, 12:58 AM   #28
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
<snip>

Should work just fine.
To elaborate, I used Calibre to edit the book, save it, reopen in Kindle Previewer 3.71.0. Nothing worked that should have worked, at least according to html. It is a little stupid that break-after doesn't work, but break-before on the immediate next element does. It is the exact same break.

Anyone got an explanation? Is the Kindle Previewer flawed or the Kindle browser in general?

Btw, don't try the quick and dirty addition of "break-before: avoid;" to every single paragraph, unless you want to see crippling performance of Kindle Previewer. Don't get me wrong, it eventually works.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:56 AM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I never use "border-bottom" or "break-before: avoid;". The only edits I do after docx import to epub on Calibre (extra Save As in LO Writer) are in the image CSS classes.

I think the only 100% reliable thing to do with page breaks compatible with everything is having a new HTML file to force a pagebreak. The docx conversion to epub by calibre automatically creates a new HTML file at each original page break in LO Writer (only done in heading/paragraph styles).

Also I've not bothered with Kindle Previewer for years. It's unreliable compared to real Kindles (I've kept 3 models, but 2 would do).
Old 01-24-2023, 06:35 AM   #30
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I never use "border-bottom" or "break-before: avoid;". The only edits I do after docx import to epub on Calibre (extra Save As in LO Writer) are in the image CSS classes.

I think the only 100% reliable thing to do with page breaks compatible with everything is having a new HTML file to force a pagebreak. The docx conversion to epub by calibre automatically creates a new HTML file at each original page break in LO Writer (only done in heading/paragraph styles).

Also I've not bothered with Kindle Previewer for years. It's unreliable compared to real Kindles (I've kept 3 models, but 2 would do).
Forcing a page break is not the problem if you always want a page break. The issue is similiar to ignoring orphan setting, only because you underline the first word, and then it thinks it is ok to ignore orphans that are smaller then your specified minimum.