Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
annieher
annieher began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (at the moment)
OLD SONY SOFTWARE TO NEW COMPUTER

I've just had to get a new computer and my Sony eReader PRS 505 software won't load. Sony say that the software is just too old.
This is annoying because the reader works perfectly well (I don't buy a lot of new books anyway) but it looks like I'll have to replace it anyway.
UNLESS..... does anybody know of any tricks that might work to fool either the computer or the reader?
thanks
annieher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Upgrade to the newest version of Sonys transfer software? I would be surprised if it didnt support older models.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
annieher

thanks David. I've tried that and can download it to the computer fine but the program cannot find my eReader.
In fact, when I connect my eReader to the computer, I can't find it.
The first place I looked was in the Computer section where you can see C drive and D drive but it wasn't there.
Is there anywhere else I can look?
thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
annieher

oh, and when I went to Sony support for the problem, my eReader isn't listed there at all.
which sounds bad, doesn't it?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use Calibre. It works very well.

Are you saying Reader Library 3.3 will not work with Windows 8?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
annieher

no, it's the software for the reader itself. I've just found mention of my reader under Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Devices and Printers. Comes up under Unspecified. I tried troubleshooting in 2 different places and each time it came back and said it could not find drivers for it.
I may just have to accept it and buy another reader.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieher View Post
no, it's the software for the reader itself. I've just found mention of my reader under Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Devices and Printers. Comes up under Unspecified. I tried troubleshooting in 2 different places and each time it came back and said it could not find drivers for it.
I may just have to accept it and buy another reader.
The 505 doesn't need a driver. It just works as a removable drive. Try a different USB port and if need be, a different USB cable.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
annieher

sorry, I'm not that literate with computer terms. I tried a different USB but that didn't help and I only have one cord.
I think the way to put it, is that my new computer just does not "see" my eReader when I connect it.
Also, the software that came with the reader, won't load so that's when I downloaded the one you get from Sony. However, my reader is not named in the compatible list.
Calibre can't see it. Neither can ADE although they are supposed to be able to see PRS505.
I feel it's something to do with the computer itself. If I could get it to "see" the reader, than everything else would just fall into place. That's my theory, anyway.
Does that make sense?
thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieher View Post
sorry, I'm not that literate with computer terms. I tried a different USB but that didn't help and I only have one cord.
You should try and buy another cord then, they are quite cheap.

Quote:
I think the way to put it, is that my new computer just does not "see" my eReader when I connect it.
Either the eReader is dead, or the USB cable is dead then. As JSWolf mentions, it should be able to see it.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I have a prs-505 and a Windows 7 pc. I have an older version of the Sony software: 2.5 which works perfectly except that it won't load the Sony store, which doesn't bother me as I don't buy their books.

I had to do an extensive search to find a site which still had the software. Newer versions could see my reader, but I didn't like how they worked. If you want, I'll have a mooch around and see if the 2.5 version is still available anywhere.

But it sounds to me like you're giving up easily and maybe really want to buy another reader. If so, go ahead.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

P.S. If you really want it, CNet have a download of the older software.

http://download.cnet.com/Sony-eBook-...-11031944.html

To mods: remove the link if it violates any t and cs.

Last edited by BookCat; 02-07-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: This is now a link to the 2.5 version
Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
P.S. If you really want it, CNet have a download of the older software.

http://download.cnet.com/Sony-eBook-...nt;contentBody

To mods: remove the link if it violates any t and cs.
That version is too old. It's 3.0, not 3.3. Here is a link to the last version of Reader Library. It is a link direct from Sony.

http://s02.download.sony.com/prs/US/...3.00.07130.exe
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J

JS, I thought the problem was that annieher has an old prs-505 (as I have) and that it isn't recognised by the computer. Mine works fine with Windows 7, I'm not sure what annieher's OS is, but getting the software which was in use when the 505 was the model of the day might be wiser than having software designed for T1 or T2. I use the 2.5 software. It works fine, just won't connect to the Sony store which I don't use anyway.

Last edited by BookCat; 02-07-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
JS, I thought the problem was that annieher has an old prs-505 (as I have) and that it isn't recognised by the computer. Mine works fine with Windows 7, I'm not sure what annieher's OS is, but getting the software which was in use when the 505 was the model of the day might be wiser than having software designed for T1 or T2. I use the 2.5 software. It works fine, just won't connect to the Sony store which I don't use anyway.
You posted a link to version 3.0 of Reader Library. I posted a link to Reader Library 3.3. Same program, just the one I linked it the last version Sony released. If it is going to work on Windows 8 (if that's what's in use), then I would go with 3.3.

But another suggestion that I made earlier that seems to have been ignored is to try Calibre. Calibre still supports the 505.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
BookCat
C L J

Calibre would be a great alternative, but I've always found it complex to use. Hopefully annieher will have a better time with it.

PS, the first link was an error, the link in my second post is to the 2.5.

Hopefully the problem can be resolved.