Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
passive62
passive62 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Unhappy frozen in sleep mode

Dear All,
My sony PRS-T1 is completely frozen, showing "reader is in sleep mode"

I might have destroyed the battery by using a blueberry loader, but i am not sure.
Plugging into the PC has no effect, although the little red light is burning. Once I press the power on key, it blinks 3 times and that is it.

I have tried the reset + power key to no avail. (If I press reset, the red light goes out, but nothing happens)
I have tried the SM-card reset (wiki), but the reader just wont start at all.
I have tried to open the cover to connect / disconnect / check the battery but was afraid I would damage too much, as it was not an easy operation. (So failed there)

I am living in Jordan, and a friend brought it over from the States, so no possible way to ask Sony to fix this, hence I have to rely on the experts on this forum.
passive62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Have you tried the hard reset? I am unfamiliar with sm-card reset.

I have not had to reset my 350, but on my 600 I have had to do the hard reset several consecutive times on more than one occasion.
The symptoms you describe are very familiar.
It is frustrating but my best advice is to recharge and try again. And again and again.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
passive62
passive62 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Thank you Speakingtohe,

Tho only hard reset I know is the reset button + the power button at the same time, which I have done.

I tried to open the cover to disconnect the battery, but cant open it. If anyone knows here how to open the cover safely, it will be much appreciated.
passive62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Many Sony reader models have not done well recharging through the PC USB port. What has helped is OVERNIGHT charging with a wall mounted AC/DC unit.

Suggest that you charge the unit overnight and retry the SD card rescue operation.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...bricked_device

Perhaps your battery is very low and not responding at this point even though it was hooked up to a PC....

Good luck!

Last edited by gardenstate; 01-27-2012 at 12:01 PM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The hard reset can be found by looking in the sticky at the top of this forum.
I think it is holding the reset and magnify and one of the page turn buttons.
Easy to look up
Helen

PS not that likely it is the battery if the lights act as you say. Leave that as a last recourse.
In the event that you need to try searching for Sony PRS-650 teardown or disassembly.
Or PRS-350 teardown.

Last edited by speakingtohe; 01-27-2012 at 12:57 PM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
more info on resetting the PRS-T1--fyi

Sony Reader WiFi PRS-T1 reboot, (soft)reset and hard reset
sony reader touch prs-t1 white

In some cases owners of the Sony reader WiFi experience a software problem. The most common is a "freeze" of the display. In this or other situations there are several ways to do a reboot/(soft)reset/factory reset.

Reboot

Press the power button for three seconds. Normally it shows you a screen that ask you to confirm to completely swithc of. Touch Yes. When it's off, press the power button agian. This will boot the operation system and ereader software.

(Soft) reset

At the front side at the left there is a tiny hole. Take the stylus, a paperclip or other thin thing and press the reset button.

Hard reset

Beware, Sony warns: There is a risk of data loss. After doing a hard reset, you will need to restore your content. Your purchased books can be restored from your account at the Reader store. You should only do a hard reset if necessary and as the last step for troubleshooting. After you do a hard reset, your Reader device will need to be authorized again from your Reader store account.

Power off (press powerbutton 3 seconds and choose yes) and back on. While the ereader starts it shows "opening book", at that moment press -and hold- the buttons next page and back (button 2 and 4). Allow the Home screen to fully load (Loading... should no longer flash in the top left corner of your screen) and then, while you still pressed the next page and back button... release the back button, press the back button, release the back button (while still pressing the next page button), and at last, release the next page button. Then the screen shows: Would you like to execute Factory Initialize? Then choose "yes".

Now turn your device off (by holding the powerbutton pressed for three seconds), and answer yes, and when its off, turn it back on.

http://sony-prs-t1-ereader-review.co...ot-factory.php
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Ogui
Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1
thawing the frozen

hi, so... I have the same problem. Did Passive 64 find a solution? others?Mine is frozen on sleep mode screen. I could be wrong but I seem to remember having a full charge this morning. The first time I tried to get it out of sleep mode the power button flashed green or yellow. Now it does not.
When I try to charge it (usb or wall) it goes red for a few seconds then light turns off (is it charging?). The pin to reset simply caused the top half of the screen image to lose it´s contrast and stay that way. Have tried power, reset and both power and reset several times and after several hours of charging.

So powering up -- does not work
soft reset -- does not work
Hard reset -- If I can´t get it to power down, I can´t really get this going either, I don´t think.

Any suggestions?
thanks,
og.
Ogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Alas this has happened to my T1 overnight too.

One strange thing - I read a calibre news epub yesterday, but when I put it in sleep mode the cover of the previous book I was reading was still displayed. I don't know if that means anything.

I've tried a soft and hard reset but neither worked. I'll try the SD recovery method next, but have little hope given that I can't get it to the "opening book" page.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Aha!

I plugged my T1 into the PC with the USB cable, and the red power light stayed on this time. I pressed the reset button and power button at the same time, and the "opening book" screen popped up! It seemed to be stuck there, so I hit the reset button again and this time the T1 started normally - "opening book" screen and the little progress meter moved.

When I disconnected the T1, it immediately started to shut down saying it was out of battery.

Maybe this was simply a flat battery?

Anyways, I'm hugely relieved and now appear to have a normal T1 again (well, I'm letting it charge first!).

Note that I plug my T1 in every day to let Calibre download my nightly news stories, and have been doing only this since I got it for Xmas (so for about six months). It's usually plugged in for about ten or fifteen minutes a day. I have never explicitly plugged it in just to charge it, but also I've never looked at the battery charge state either.

Cheers,
(Happy) Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Yes it was a flat battery, if the battery gets really flat the reader goes into a kind of "coma" and you will need to charge for a while before it will respond, even plugged in, when this happened to me I left it plugged into my pc charging overnight and the next morning it was back to normal,sine then I have never let it become fully discharged
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:16 AM   #11
ilsebender
ilsebender began at the beginning.

Device: PRS T1 sony
i had the same problem, but i could fix it following this:
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...il/a_id/31240/
good luck!
ilsebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:26 AM   #12
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Sounds like you are out of power Do you have an alternate charger you can try? any micro usb should do.....you have to leave it plugged in for a bit b4 it will start if you have run the battery down....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen, sleepmode, unresponsive