Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 06:03 AM   #1
Bosvena
Bosvena began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to add ebooks to Child's profile, help please.

Hi
A little bit of background to help explain my difficulty.

Many years ago I scanned some books that I had previously purchased and converted them to .prc files, and some .lit (yes I'm that old !) Many of these were children's books that were read to and by my children.
Now they have children and one has suggested that it would be nice to have a few of these transferred to their Kindle Fire (child's profile).

Should be simple enough I thought, been converting books for years now, sometimes sideloading them etc. But in this specific instance it seems that I can sideload to the adult part of the account but not to the child's profile - nor can I 'approve' them so as to have them appear in the child's profile ??

Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else experienced this?

Many thanks
Bosvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I don't think Amazon allows side loaded on the child profile because they can't see what is being sideloaded.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
Bosvena
Bosvena began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I don't think Amazon allows side loaded on the child profile because they can't see what is being sideloaded.
Thanks for replying and you're probably right, how sure are you about that?

However, who abrogated their parental responsibilities to Amazon? Surely the very act of setting up a child account demonstrates a level of responsibility.
Cynically perhaps I see this as little more than an attempt by Amazon to easily increase revenue, and little more........
Bosvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Amazon does not go out of their way to extend all ecosystem features to Personal Docs. If they did, it would add to design and development and testing and support costs, without any offsetting revenues. And it would require more time and effort for parents to understand the features. It needs to be as simple as possible.

On the whole I think they are right to have child accounts more rather than less restrictive, otherwise what is the point?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosvena View Post
Thanks for replying and you're probably right, how sure are you about that?

However, who abrogated their parental responsibilities to Amazon? Surely the very act of setting up a child account demonstrates a level of responsibility.
Cynically perhaps I see this as little more than an attempt by Amazon to easily increase revenue, and little more........
It is not about parental responsibility but think about this. Parents agreed to the controls so Amazon would be on the hook to keep the children safe.
If they can't see what is loaded, they can't control it.

Also children are more tech savvy than we want to believe.
I have an aunt who's great granddaughter convinced her that an iPad has different sites than a computer so it is safe for a child.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:36 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
that is correct. very sure as I researched it. there is a very simple workaround though:

you install an epub reader app e.g. Aldiko, approve that app for use in the child profile, and place your sideloaded books into the app library - onto its shelves.

i'ts only one extra click then to get the books - go to apps , launch app, open book, rather than look for book on the books tab

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aldiko-Limi.../dp/B004V1XJ6Q

I have this implemented and working. I already owned that reader app, so i did not test with any others on the grand-daughters Kindle Fire tablet.

most epub readers can read several formats, and they will all sideload even if amazon says not compatible. e.g. on my oen Fire tablet I sideloaded both Bookari and Moon + pro, no issues. ( i then installed google services onto that Fire so I can use the google play versions and keep them updated )

on a similar note - you cannot enable amazon prime videos in the child profile, but you can enable the netflix app, set up a netflix kids profile....

the more recent fires will also run the child friendly BBC i -player for Kids, but not the 2012 kindle fires ( the android version is too old for that app )

Last edited by stumped; 06-17-2017 at 02:38 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote