Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisainIL View Post
FYI - If you have an eInk Kindle device and use the "download & transfer via USB" method, since you're bypassing the Kindle for Mac app in this situation, Alf's tool & Calibre work fine.
That's a major pain to use when downloading a big batch after a spending spree. It also uses low quality images in comics. The Kindle for desktop apps download the highest quality images available (albeit a bit of pain to combine with separate azw3+azw6 files).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #17
Terry Brown
Enthusiast
Terry Brown began at the beginning.

Device: M1 Max Mac Studio, iPad Pro 2018 12.9, iPhone 7
Got my M1 Mac mini (16GB Ram, 1TB SSD) Nov 25 and Calibre works fine. I haven't found anything that doesn't work properly. Performance is fine--maybe just slightly better than my 2018 Mac mini with core-i7, 512GB SSD and 64GB ram.

For benchmarking, I converted Follett's Fall of Giants to kfx and compared the performance to that of the 2018 Mac mini:

kfx conversion 2018 Mac mini: 107 seconds
kfx conversion 2020 M1 Mac mini: 100 seconds

I use a number of plugins, not problems. I also have my own Python programs that access the calibre database remotely to grab information using calibredb and it all works perfectly.

Given the massive change to the hardware on the M1 devices, Apple has been very successful making almost everything compatible without compromising performance.
Terry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The main thing I would suspect of having issues is the Viewer or the preview panel in the editor, as they use a web browser under the hood, which in turn uses a Just in Time compiler for javascript, these tend to be the hardest things to run via emulation.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #19
kirk8677
Enthusiast
kirk8677 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I got my M1 Mac today. No problems with viewer, no problems with preview panel. It works extremely fast and perfectly. I am very pleased. Every Intel app I have tried has performed flawlessly so far. I haven't tried Alf's tool (I am assuming it won't work) but assuming one has a backup computer for that, everything is peachy!
kirk8677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:17 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's good to know, thanks
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #21
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisainIL View Post
... if you are using Alf's tool (v6.8) and Kindle for Mac 1.26, Alf's tool is not working properly.
I have posted on the Github (#1369) and in a couple of other threads here, but am having no luck with a solution.
A solution could be Crossover 20.

Installation of Calibre 3.48 (32-bit) is working on my Intel MacBook. I guess this will also work on M1 Mac. Then install DeDRM_tools_6.8.1 in plugins and try if it's working.

I have ordered a MacBook Air M1...but will arrive in January 2021. So, I cannot test yet.
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #22
lee.hauser
lee.hauser began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've got a shiny new M1 Macbook Air (8GB, 512GB) and Calibre 4.23 works great. But I'm not able to convert. Books downloaded with the latest Kindle for Mac app don't really even load into Calibre...they just come in as "ebok" files (so maybe I'm doing something wrong there?). Books downloaded for "download and USB" transfer load into Calibre just fine, but don't convert...once again, I think I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. Something to do with my Kindle key, I'm sure.

I'm coming from Windows, where this all worked pretty well. Still got my Windows machine, but not for much longer (I hope).
lee.hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:07 AM   #23
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.hauser View Post
I've got a shiny new M1 Macbook Air (8GB, 512GB) and Calibre 4.23 works great. But I'm not able to convert. Books downloaded with the latest Kindle for Mac app don't really even load into Calibre...they just come in as "ebok" files (so maybe I'm doing something wrong there?). Books downloaded for "download and USB" transfer load into Calibre just fine, but don't convert...once again, I think I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. Something to do with my Kindle key, I'm sure.

I'm coming from Windows, where this all worked pretty well. Still got my Windows machine, but not for much longer (I hope).
Welcome to macOS!

Some tips: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=508
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:33 AM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.hauser View Post

Have you configured K4Mac not to download KFX format? Did you enter your eInk Kindle serial number into the right spot in the DeDRM plugin configuration? You might want to check the Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre thread in the stickies.

Good luck!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #25
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Meanwhile I have my MacBook Air with M1-processor. Everything is working fine. Also Alf's DRM plugin is working. I didn't find anything not working.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:49 AM   #26
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Which version of Calibre?
Regards,
Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:37 AM   #27
Dirk-71
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9 View Post
Which version of Calibre?
Regards,
Joe
Latest version.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #28
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All, I am now successfully using the latest version of Calibre on my M1 MacBook Pro (16M Ram). I initially had issues getting Alf’s plug-in to work. The problem is that Safari unzips the download automatically. I had to download the plug-in file on my Windows PC, then copy on to a flash drive. You have to add the unzipped version of the file for it to load properly.
Sweet!
Joe
Old 01-22-2021, 02:41 AM   #29
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Using a proper browser like Firefox or Chrome might also have worked
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:39 AM   #30
jmmcg9
Zealot

Yeah I use Chrome on my work PC. That would have been my next option. As far as being a “proper” browser, using both, in the Mac OS environment, my preference is Safari.