Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
3M Cloud is now Cloud Library - Anybody tried to get help?

I figure since there's a topic in here lambasting how wretched the latest incarnation of Overdrive is... Has anyone been beset by the latest "Cloud Library"?

First a question - any likelihood that the folks that run this forum will add a "Cloud Library" section down below any time soon?

A great many of the libraries here in Minnesota seem to be jumping on the Cloud Library band wagon... Which would be less than optimal given the massive productivity loss associated with trying to use the thing with more than one library. But, when you factor is the inability to get an online answer to even a trivial question like "I found and borrowed an AUDIO BOOK from the St. Paul Cloud Library. HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THE #$%^&*() THING SO I CAN LISTEN TO IT WHEN AND WHERE I WANT TO?

So far, I can't find a SINGLE way to contact anyone form whatever company perpetrated this thing on us. Not be email. Not by phone. NO CUSTOMER support. NO TECH support. They all refer you to the "borrowing library". Has ANYBODY in here EVER TRIED TO GET AN ANSWER TO EVEN THE MOST BASIC OF QUESTIONS ABOUT DOING ANY NON-STANDARD (presuming trying to download an audiobook IS non-standard) THING FROM WHAT PASSES FOR SUPPORT ON THIS THING FROM THE LOCAL LIBRARY?

SO, here's hoping somebody in here knows: From the Cloud Library shortcut on the desktop (NOT from the browser link, which won't download ANYTHING), running the current Cloud Library, HOW do I download an audio book to my PC?
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
You can only stream audiobooks through the app on the desktop. You can download the books for offline use on Android, I do not know about IOS. They did manage unlike overdrive to streamline some of the features. To navigate the app is a bit easier now. That being said the app, like every library app I have used, seems like they got a bunch of drunk monkeys (No offense Tubemonkey) to design their apps.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank goodness, I thought it was just ME that thought every library app I've used meets your criteria for designers......

OK, so I can CHECK OUT a audio book but I can't LISTEN to it where I want to - as in FROM A FLASH DRIVE PLUGGED INTO THE SYSTEM IN THE CAR... What genius decided THAT was a good idea? ESPECIALLY since I'm getting MORE AND MORE stuck with this stupid Cloud Library app as it appears that every library in Minnesota is jumping on it...

Since I can't find any information on anything, can someone tell me HOW to get the audio book that's stuck out in limbo in the Cloud Library, down to my "Android" tablet?

Last edited by dkperez; 12-05-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I really hope that my library system stays away from this service. Every time I read a thread about someplace having switched to it it sounds like a nightmare.

@dkperez, It looks like (just looking at screen shots) there is a My Books section in the app that will list what you currently have checked out & on hold (along with a history of previous checkouts) where you can select the book/audiobook to download? No idea if the downloads are MP3's (like OverDrive) where you could then copy them from the device to your flash drive or not (assuming they can be found in a folder somewhere).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
dkperez
Groupie

Well, not gonna get anything done tonight apparently... Tried to run the Cloud Library and got:

E_NETWORK: Error transferring https://service.yourcloudlibrary.com/json/rpc - server replied: Bad Gateway

I have no idea what the message means, but it fer-sher means I can't get into the Cloud Library.
Advert
Old 12-06-2016, 05:17 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post

SO, here's hoping somebody in here knows: From the Cloud Library shortcut on the desktop (NOT from the browser link, which won't download ANYTHING), running the current Cloud Library, HOW do I download an audio book to my PC?
From the online help:

Quote:
Can I transfer my e-Audiobook from my PC to my MP3 player?

No. Both the PC and MAC version of the app stream the content and do not download the entire audiobook file. Transfer of the file is not available.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
dkperez, I'm also in that system. They went with 3M Cloud because the monthly costs of Overdrive were sucking up all resources. A consortium paid for the switch and combination of several libraries' collections to use the 3M Cloud so that actually benefits you a lot.

If you have technical problems, you are supposed to contact your library. If their technical people can't solve it then they contact 3M Cloud people.

I don't know what device you are using. I had the original 3M app and had to delete and redownload the app when it changed to Cloud about a month ago to get it to download the audiobooks to my Kindle Fire HDX. I also had to restart my unit. It WILL download the entire book track-by-track until it's done to the HDX, but the process appears to be slower than Overdrive. I suspect some of the errors you are getting are during a time that they are updating the library - try again when the library is open and see if that works better.

The audiobook function is mostly frustrating to those who used Ipod Nanos and other units that do not allow for an app function. So far though, I have no solution but I have lodged that complaint with the 3m tech guys who held the intro at my library - being able to sideload onto our devices is as important for we audiobook listeners as it is for ebook readers.

I haven't downloaded all that many audiobooks yet from the library, but I track when I have problems and then go in and get help. There is only one problem they haven't solved and that's the sideloading issue for audiobooks (the more people who ask, the more likely it will happen). FWIW, I have zero complaints about how the app works on the computer. It's been splendid all along with the only errors appearing to occur late at night and likely due to updates, as it works fine in the morning.

Oh, and to answer your specific question, yes, it opens another browser window on your computer and streams. It's on the android device that it downloads entirely.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-09-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
dkperez
Groupie

Hi Tarana,

They went with 3M Cloud because the monthly costs of Overdrive were sucking up all resources. A consortium paid for the switch and combination of several libraries' collections to use the 3M Cloud so that actually benefits you a lot.

Yeah, I figured the only reason they're going is 'cause of Overdrive costs. And even though Cloud Library is very inefficient, it wouldn't SO wretched if it didn't have a couple significant problems for me...

1. It DOWNLOADS EVERY BOOK in "My Books" every time I log in and go to My Books. I have had books with 28 copies (yes, not kidding, the original and 27 redundant copies). At HOME, this is just as pain in the behind, but ON THE ROAD, when I'm using a metered connection, it's totally unacceptable. And SO FAR, the libraries haven't had a clue, and neither has Bibliotecha - though they DID ASSURE ME I'D BE HEARING FROM THEM WITHIN A WEEK... Several months ago.

2. It appears I can't download an audio book and put it on the device I want it on. I don't want it on my computer. I don't want it on my cell phone. I don't want it on my tablet. I want it a flash drive so I can plug it into the car and listen to the book.

This shouldn't a problem. I know cars, for at least the last SIX years have come with USB ports just for plugging in flash drives.

3. It's single threaded. Every time you want to change libraries you have to log out and back in. Which means you CAN'T check all the libraries you use for an author/title concurrently. Incredibly inefficient.

If you have technical problems, you are supposed to contact your library. If their technical people can't solve it then they contact 3M Cloud people.

Have you found a Cloud Library technical person at your library? My local library folks are nice, but they're definitely not "technical experts" in Cloud Library.

I don't know what device you are using.

I'm using a Windows 10 PC for everything connected to libraries and e-books. I've got a Nexus 9 tablet but I don't download anything directly to it.

I had the original 3M app and had to delete and redownload the app when it changed to Cloud about a month ago to get it to download the audiobooks to my Kindle Fire HDX. I also had to restart my unit. It WILL download the entire book track-by-track until it's done to the HDX, but the process appears to be slower than Overdrive. I suspect some of the errors you are getting are during a time that they are updating the library - try again when the library is open and see if that works better.

Yes, my tablet will download an audio book. Which isn't very useful to me 'cause I haven't found a way to get the audio book from the tablet to the flash drive... I've got various file browsers on the tablet, and I can SEE the files, but I haven't been able to do anything with them so far.

The audiobook function is mostly frustrating to those who used Ipod Nanos and other units that do not allow for an app function. So far though, I have no solution but I have lodged that complaint with the 3m tech guys who held the intro at my library - being able to sideload onto our devices is as important for we audiobook listeners as it is for ebook readers.

As near as I can tell, there are no more 3M "tech guys"... The last time I "got help" it was by a call to Bibliotecha, and they spent more time trying to find out how a mere "user" was able to contact them by phone and waste their valuable time than they did on the problem (these are the folks that promised to call me back within the week).

I haven't downloaded all that many audiobooks yet from the library, but I track when I have problems and then go in and get help.

HOW do you go in and get help? The Cloud Library website appears (if it's there I can't find it) to have no method to contact them by email and open a problem ticket or get technical support or any other support - as I said, if it's there I haven't found it. Nor do they appear to have a phone number published. As near as I can tell, they're trying to make it as difficult as possible to get help from the people responsible for this thing. On the one occasion I did get a person they kept telling me to talk to the expert at my local library, which of course, I'd already done.

Do you have a phone number for the Cloud Library "experts" or the 3M "tech guys" or even an email address for either?

FWIW, I have zero complaints about how the app works on the computer. It's been splendid all along with the only errors appearing to occur late at night and likely due to updates, as it works fine in the morning.

Are you using Cloud Library with multiple library systems? If so, HOW are you doing it so you can be connected to more than one of them concurrently?

Oh, and to answer your specific question, yes, it opens another browser window on your computer and streams. It's on the android device that it downloads entirely.

Yeah, I know. That's one of the things that's really annoying...

Overdrive isn't exactly great, but it seems a lot more usable than the Cloud Library, which has been around for at LEAST a couple years and should be a lot better than it is.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
dkperez, the only tech support people I know of are at the main branch of your library. As far as I know, you still can't get the audiobooks on something that doesn't use the app. I don't have a 'modern' player in my car, so I can't really help on that. But even flash drives are going and everything is going bluetooth with that as well.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:53 PM   #10
seacity1
Zealot
seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 Edition,Nook HD+, Nook Color, Nook ST & Ipad3
3M Cloud Reader update Hijacks ADE ID

I have a significant problem with 3M due to a recent update & have not been able to find a contact beyond their online support. Unfortunately the changes made to their Windows desktop app have rendered much of their online info out of date. I have also searched/posted on Adobe's site but have found no info. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

This is my issue.

Since my 3M Cloud Reader desktop app for Windows recently updated to PC version 2.1.17 I can no longer download books from any of my 3 library Overdrive accounts (Says "Check Activation!") . I also can I no longer open/return OD books from ADE & get an activation error.

Both 3M & OD use to work off the same ADE ID & 3M/Cloud books & OD books both downloaded to the desktop ADE app. This is no longer the case. In Windows, 3M/Cloud now downloads to C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Bibliotheca\cloudLib rary\PROD\ebooks.

When the 3M app update installs it asks if you want to use a 3M generated ID or your own unique ID to authorize ADE. I choose my own ADE ID as this is the same ID I have used in the past for both 3M/Cloud & OD. Now 3M works with this ID & downloads properly but Overdrive does not. While my computer has only 1 authorized ADE ID it does not appear to work for any of my Overdrive library accounts any longer.

I did post this in another thread not realizing it was quite old. So, sorry for the repetition.
seacity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacity1 View Post
I have a significant problem with 3M due to a recent update & have not been able to find a contact beyond their online support. Unfortunately the changes made to their Windows desktop app have rendered much of their online info out of date. I have also searched/posted on Adobe's site but have found no info. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

This is my issue.

Since my 3M Cloud Reader desktop app for Windows recently updated to PC version 2.1.17 I can no longer download books from any of my 3 library Overdrive accounts (Says "Check Activation!") . I also can I no longer open/return OD books from ADE & get an activation error.

Both 3M & OD use to work off the same ADE ID & 3M/Cloud books & OD books both downloaded to the desktop ADE app. This is no longer the case. In Windows, 3M/Cloud now downloads to C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Bibliotheca\cloudLib rary\PROD\ebooks.

When the 3M app update installs it asks if you want to use a 3M generated ID or your own unique ID to authorize ADE. I choose my own ADE ID as this is the same ID I have used in the past for both 3M/Cloud & OD. Now 3M works with this ID & downloads properly but Overdrive does not. While my computer has only 1 authorized ADE ID it does not appear to work for any of my Overdrive library accounts any longer.

I did post this in another thread not realizing it was quite old. So, sorry for the repetition.
Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. My experience is slightly different. However, I am using the Mac version.

When I updated Cloud Library to v2.1.17, it did not ask me about using a 3M generated ID. It just updated to the new version like it has for previous updates.

On a Mac the EPUB now downloads to the folder path:
Users\username\Library\Application Support\Bibliotheca\cloudLibrary\PROD\ebooks.

I did not have any issues with Adobe authorizations. I was able to import the EPUB file into Adobe Digital Editions so I can transfer it to my Kobo. I am also still able to check out EPUB files from Overdrive and import them into Digital Editions like normal.

In summary, the only difference for me is that the Cloud Library now downloads the EPUB file into an annoyingly buried hidden file path causing one the extra step of having to import it into Digital Edition for transfer to one of my ereaders. I don't want to read the book on my desktop in the Cloud Library software.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacity1 View Post
I think this happened to me as well. While I got around it, you may not like my solution, which is to avoid Windows.

To read a Cloud Library book, I use the Cloud Library android app on my tablet. My wife and I have our own eInk Kindle Keyboards and prefer them. But if the only place I can find a book we want is in the Brooklyn Public Library cloudLibrary collection, we will read it on the tablet.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #13
seacity1
Zealot
seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 Edition,Nook HD+, Nook Color, Nook ST & Ipad3
Thanks for the response. I have multiple library accounts so the most important thing to me was to get Overdrive working again. In order to do that I had to uninstall 3M, including deleting a hidden folder & running Regedit to totally remove the ADE ID. I than deauthorized & reauthorized my ADE ID. I have not reinstalled 3M & don't know if I will. I have had issues with this app in the past & don't know that it is worth the hassle.

I was aware of the problem of using the 3M generated ID if you had other book
vendors that relied on ADE so I was very careful to input my own ID. Because of this I was very surprised at the apparent conflict. Like you, I was not asked to do this in other updates.
seacity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:30 AM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Well, I'm glad you brought the issue up. It saved me a lot of frustration since I was able to see your post that the file path had moved! Thanks again!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you about file path. Regarding to the register, I had the problem with the previous version, and I had to keep two reg files and two directories, using once or other according to the program (ADE or Cloud), but it's working now authorizing Cloud with the existing id.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote