Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-17-2018, 02:39 AM   #346
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just gotten my hands on a Book Max 2 for some testing for review purposes, and one thing I noticed was that when I installed the Google app from the Play Store, it seemingly disappeared. Wouldn't show up on the built-in launcher's apps screen, though it was still installed and could be launched by choosing "Open" from the app store listing—and when I installed the Google Now launcher, it showed up just fine in that.

Anyone know why that is?
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #347
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
To expand on what mdp said, there is a circular icon to the right of the clock (and to the left of the icon that toggles between A2 and normal). In one mode they display a + and - next to each other within the circle, and in another mode they display two triangles facing away from each other. Tapping that icon toggles a mode switch.
Thanks; I checked the manual after posting, and there it was. I had been looking for an option, didn't think of the icons (and I still don't know why I ever tapped that particular icon - probably to see if it did anything I would notice).
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2018, 08:43 PM   #348
pdfreaderguy
pdfreaderguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
i previously mentioned this power drain was due to the device not going into standby mode, and being active the whole time. i just decided to manually put the device in standby mode, and it did in fact power off automatically.

this is working right now, im not sure if the battery will still be optimal, but the device did power off after 15 min (my setting in power management).

im guessing the original power drain was mainly because it didn't go into standby mode.
Can anyone speak further to battery life? Is there an issue?

I want to read and highlight PDFs.
I want to read my kindle books.

What is the realistic battery life doing these activities now with the current updates?
pdfreaderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #349
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
I've just gotten my hands on a Book Max 2 for some testing for review purposes, and one thing I noticed was that when I installed the Google app from the Play Store, it seemingly disappeared. Wouldn't show up on the built-in launcher's apps screen, though it was still installed and could be launched by choosing "Open" from the app store listing—and when I installed the Google Now launcher, it showed up just fine in that.
I don't know about this case specifically, but the "bundled-with-Android" Settings app also doesn't show up in the Max 2's launcher (I think it's called "Content Browser"). FWIW, I'm able to see that Settings app using ReLaunchX.

May be there's something similar going on in the two cases.
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #350
peter68
peter68 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max Carta 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfreaderguy View Post
Can anyone speak further to battery life? Is there an issue?

I want to read and highlight PDFs.
I want to read my kindle books.

What is the realistic battery life doing these activities now with the current updates?
I have been using the Max2 for about 15 days. My firmware version is V1.8.3(20180129). I can say that the battery is good if you are just reading e-books and using the device disconnected. Also the battery life in stand-by is good.

It goes down really fast as soon as you connect to the WIFI, eg. to use the web browser, download applications, etc.

Unless Onyx can optimize the battery life in the next firmware releases, my advice is to buy a good power bank and use it as an external battery. In this way, you can take advantage of a light device when you don't need power, and attach the power bank when needed.
peter68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #351
inudaisho
inudaisho began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2 / Kobo glo HD
http://boox.com/index.php/en/2017-10...1-update-max-2

third update (20180315)

you can go this link through onyx-international.com.

I have updated last night. Google Play service is working now! some problem of pen input is cleared. KOReader is working.
inudaisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #352
inudaisho
inudaisho began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2 / Kobo glo HD
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295646
FTI Max2 update available, 2018-03-19_13_47_1.8.3_9269185/1043:user/release-keys

??? oh ???
inudaisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #353
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter68 View Post
I have been using the Max2 for about 15 days. My firmware version is V1.8.3(20180129). I can say that the battery is good if you are just reading e-books and using the device disconnected. Also the battery life in stand-by is good.

It goes down really fast as soon as you connect to the WIFI, eg. to use the web browser, download applications, etc.

Unless Onyx can optimize the battery life in the next firmware releases, my advice is to buy a good power bank and use it as an external battery. In this way, you can take advantage of a light device when you don't need power, and attach the power bank when needed.
I guess it depends on your expectations. I have a phone that doesn't last a day - the Max2 lasts several days with use of Wifi, Email, Musicsheet app, Slack, Calender and other apps - that is way more than I need. When it is charged, I know that I will not run into any problems rehearsing / teaching - that is all I ask for. :-)

/Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #354
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by inudaisho View Post
http://boox.com/index.php/en/2017-10...1-update-max-2

third update (20180315)

you can go this link through onyx-international.com.

I have updated last night. Google Play service is working now! some problem of pen input is cleared. KOReader is working.
ebook.store did not redistribute it yet. I hope my paid applications will finally install from Play store.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #355
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
ebook.store did not redistribute it yet. I hope my paid applications will finally install from Play store.
Hopefully, such an update will soon be available for the Note. I also would like to get my purchased apps installed.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:57 PM   #356
pdfreaderguy

Seems the software is getting sorted. What is the current status of the screen scratching issue for the stylist? Is that good now? Or still an issue?
Old 03-23-2018, 12:41 AM   #357
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Seems the software is getting sorted. What is the current status of the screen scratching issue for the stylist? Is that good now? Or still an issue?
So far, there are no scratches on my Note. However, I have been going somewhat gentle on it after reading about the experiences of some of those who have been using the Max 2.

However, I wonder if the Max 2 and the Note might be using different screens. I do not see the same kind of glare off of my Note that seemed to occurring on some of the initial Max 2 devices.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:34 AM   #358
peter68
peter68 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max Carta 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2011 View Post
So were you able to mount the USB Pen and have its contents appear under storage?
Yes, I was able to copy files to/from a USB pen. Using the special cable that I mentioned, it was also able to detect a portable HDD. However, since it was formatted in NTFS (not FAT32), I wasn't unable to browse files. I am quite sure that if you format an HDD properly, you can connect to the Max2.
Everything is about choosing the right cable that brings power to the pen or HDD.
peter68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #359
pdfreaderguy

I've pulled the trigger on a max2 that showed up today. I've only just plugged it in and looked around for about 3 minutes total.

It seemed Snappy and is pretty good. It's a little heavier than I think I could use for reading books, but for using at a desk or anywhere else that I have some support it is very easy on the eyes.

Does anybody else seem to have some ghosting issues? Turning Page swipes the entire screen is reset like every other ereader.

But if I pop open a minute you and then go back to the document there still ghosted borders. Same if I restart the device and there's the whole screen art picture. Unlock it and until I do something that fully resets the screen you can catch just a slight ghosting of that image.

Is that normal? Limitation of the tech? Or do I have a bunk unit?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #360
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
I've pulled the trigger on a max2 that showed up today. I've only just plugged it in and looked around for about 3 minutes total.

It seemed Snappy and is pretty good. It's a little heavier than I think I could use for reading books, but for using at a desk or anywhere else that I have some support it is very easy on the eyes.

Does anybody else seem to have some ghosting issues? Turning Page swipes the entire screen is reset like every other ereader.

But if I pop open a minute you and then go back to the document there still ghosted borders. Same if I restart the device and there's the whole screen art picture. Unlock it and until I do something that fully resets the screen you can catch just a slight ghosting of that image.

Is that normal? Limitation of the tech? Or do I have a bunk unit?
Yes, very faint ghosting is normal on Max2. That is a faint gray residual images. On the original Max with Pearl display the problem was that the text was loosing contrast, was not black all the time until full refresh.

At any time you can press and keep the menu key at the bottom panel for a few seconds and it'll refresh the screen.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote