Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-27-2018, 04:54 AM   #316
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: none
On a related note, I built ReLaunchX successfully yesterday In the process, I manually removed the ebookparser directory under libs and symlinked to a clone of the ebookparser repository. Is that pretty much the recommended way of setting things up for a build?

P.S. Thanks for ReLaunchX!
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #317
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
On a related note, I built ReLaunchX successfully yesterday In the process, I manually removed the ebookparser directory under libs and symlinked to a clone of the ebookparser repository. Is that pretty much the recommended way of setting things up for a build?

P.S. Thanks for ReLaunchX!
ebookparser is a git submodule, you know git submodule init & git submodule update, etc. that's the way
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #318
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:59 AM   #319
peter68
peter68 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max Carta 2
I have a serious problem with my Max2 Carta and BT keyboard trying to enter text notes with any text editor. For the first half of the page everything works fine. As soon as I reach the middle of the page, the only way to create a newline is using the software keyboard. If I press Enter on the BT keyboard, the cursor goes up to the middle of the page. In other words, there is no way to write a text longer than half a page with a BT keyboard.
The only workaround that I have found is: I type with the BT keyboard, but I use the onscreen keyboard for newlines. Very annoying...

I have installed several text editors, it seems a system problem. I have also tried with 2 different BT keyboards.
I have also updated to BOOX Max2 V1.8.3 (20180129)from the website, the problem still exists.

Could any other Max2 Carta owner confirm the problem?
peter68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:47 AM   #320
sogaiu
Addict

I just tried with "Retro Text Editor" and was able to reach the bottom of the screen typing via a BT keyboard only.

Here the "Build number" shown on the device is: "2018-01-05_21-38_1.8.3_bc46981" and the "Model number" is "Max 2" -- I found this info in both the "About Device" and "System Update" sections of the bundled Settings app.

FWIW, when I check for an OTA update, a message indicates there isn't a newer update available.
Advert
Old 02-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #321
peter68
peter68 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max Carta 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
I just tried with "Retro Text Editor" and was able to reach the bottom of the screen typing via a BT keyboard only.

Here the "Build number" shown on the device is: "2018-01-05_21-38_1.8.3_bc46981" and the "Model number" is "Max 2" -- I found this info in both the "About Device" and "System Update" sections of the bundled Settings app.

FWIW, when I check for an OTA update, a message indicates there isn't a newer update available.
Thanks for your feedback. At least I have hopes! Could it be related to the type of BT keyboard? Could you tell me the brand/model?

UPDATE: I restored factory settings and the problem persists. In this picture you can see a damn mouse cursor that appears whenever I press Enter on the BT keyboard. The caret goes back to the same line of the mouse cursor. If I press Enter on the onscreen keyboard, there is no problem.

Any help to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by peter68; 02-28-2018 at 04:22 PM.
peter68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #322
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter68 View Post
Thanks for your feedback. At least I have hopes! Could it be related to the type of BT keyboard? Could you tell me the brand/model?
Just tried mine. I edited a txt file in ReLaunchX without any problems. I have TARGUS AKB32UK

What if you connect BT mouse and move out the cursor? My best guess is you are right, most likely the keyboard you have is incompatible, maybe there is some empty mouse data in the BT transmission or something.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #323
sogaiu
Addict

I tried another model of keyboard -- this one I have a model for:

Anker Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard
Model K1280C

It also didn't exhibit the issue described earlier.

I don't have any good ideas about what might help, though may be someone else does...If you bought it from ereader.store, may be contacting them for help might be worth considering.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #324
lancer13
lancer13 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew22 View Post
@ Iceblits In my previous response to you I wrote it is almost impossible to scratch the screen. After longer use though, I have also observed scratches from my own annotations, which would not disappear after removing the dust particles with a cloth. It was surprising because the Max Carta screen showed no such scratches after almost one year of use...
So I asked Booxtor how is this possible. According to him, since the screen for the two models is basically the same, this should not happen.

Nonetheless, Max2 has the touch screen layer applied over the Carta screen, and now it seems that the touch screen layer is the one being scratched. Onyx did not anticipate that the extra layer is so sensitive to stylus. I guess they will look to the problem after the New Lunar Year festivities are over.

This is pretty annoying. Hopefully the basic screen is intact. The only good news is that these scratches are not visible in normal light conditions. One needs a strong lateral light source to see them. Also I did buy the protective screen in the end and will try to mount it as soon as it comes.

P.S. Iceblits, you can use the eraser in a more gentle manner by simply clicking with it on the annotation you want to delete, instead of the classic long move over it.

UPDATE: The protective screen has no antiglare properties and at one edge it does not attach properly. Also, it is virtually impossible to remove all traces of dust between the screen and the protective sheet, as well as to remove all the air bubbles forming in the process. Not an optimal solution.

Onyx should have tested the the new screens and find a technical solution to the all too sensitive touch-screen layer, before bringing the product to the market.

Just wanted to confirm with Drew22. I somehow scratched my screen pretty badly while drawing. I generally do not press hard so I am confused on how it happened. So I bought the screen protector and wow is it bad. I work retail and have literally put on dozens of screen protector for phones, tablets, and e-readers. This one adds glare, tons of air bubbles that I couldn't smooth out. Also doesn't fit properly. Worse now the scratches are very visible.
lancer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:12 AM   #325
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the heads-up regarding scratches and screen protectors! Has anyone tried a generic one, such as this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protector-T...reen+protector
I will get a generic 10.1 inch protector for my upcoming Boox Note, hopefully that will shield most of the screen, especially the parts where I intend to write.That should mostly be a good fit, despite being slightly smaller. Does anyone know of 10.3 protectors?

Last edited by orpheus2011; 03-08-2018 at 04:29 AM.
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:55 AM   #326
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2011 View Post
Does anyone know of 10.3 protectors?
Liquid ones will fit. Such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MT7D69R
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:30 AM   #327
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2011 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up regarding scratches and screen protectors! Has anyone tried a generic one, such as this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protector-T...reen+protector
I will get a generic 10.1 inch protector for my upcoming Boox Note, hopefully that will shield most of the screen, especially the parts where I intend to write.That should mostly be a good fit, despite being slightly smaller. Does anyone know of 10.3 protectors?
Before buying a screen protector check the exact dimensions of your screen (210x267 mm for Max2). For example, one can find for Max2 protective sheets of 13.3 inch on Ebay or Amazon, but often they do match the length and the width of the e-reader screen because they are offered for tablets and laptops with slightly different dimensions.

On Amazon.com, Onyx promised to sell new protective screens soon. This means they are recognising the problem. This device is very expensive having many merits at the same time. It's really a pity they didn't see and address this construction weakness from the beginning. Onyx should really solve the problem and send all the buyers free screen protectors.

Last edited by Drew22; 03-08-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #328
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer13 View Post
So I bought the screen protector and wow is it bad. I work retail and have literally put on dozens of screen protector for phones, tablets, and e-readers.
So what kind of protector do you recommend? I introduced this matter already one year ago to Booxtor, because it is not trivial: we mostly find around layers for glass. What is compatible with the e-ink screen plastic?
If anything was fitting, I would surefire go to "Clear-Coat / Mobile Outfitters" who protect my glass-based devices with excellent matte screens, superbly professionally installed. But they told me that their product is at least "not guaranteed for ereaders".
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #329
BRX
BRX began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX Max 2 Pro
I got my Max 2 Pro today.

Sadly I too have the problem that I can't get my paid apps from playstore. I'd like to install MobileSheets Pro (as others here).

My firmware is 2018-01-17_16-39_1.8.3_3322186 and there's no newer build available from OTA/cloud update.

Where can I find an update that fixes this problem? Can any update be installed on the reader or is there a difference for international builds?

I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Otherwise the Max 2 looks gorgeous. But I bought it for sheet music mainly so I need the playstore apps.

I'm a bit disappointed about the missing SD card slot as well and rather would have that than HDMI, though.
BRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #330
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRX View Post
I'm a bit disappointed about the missing SD card slot as well and rather would have that than HDMI, though.
It's not an alternative, it was their explicit decision which we confide will be reverted.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote