Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #16
Karmylla
Karmylla began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Aura H2O (v1)
Well... I've gone and done it: I've opened the beast.

And I think I screwed up.
I tried to be as gentle as possible!, I did! But it seems the bottom of the display bent a little, and the screen now shows an oval pressure point on the bottom...
When turning the device on has the screen completely frozen, though the lights are working still. Even if the screen is responsive, I wouldn't be able to know.

I don't know if I've completely wrecked my child, but if not: where can I see the product ID?
I'm sharing pictures so everyone can see how it's looking.

Thank you for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190323_214612.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	170363   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190323_214625.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	170364   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190323_214641.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	170365  
Karmylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohhnyMix View Post
Hmm you sure the H20 models have a sd card as internal because from my understanding its a nand chip.
There are three version of the Aura H2O. The original has both an internal SD card and an external SD card slot. The Edition 2 has two versions and both have fixed storage.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2019, 09:41 PM   #18
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmylla View Post
Well... I've gone and done it: I've opened the beast.

And I think I screwed up.
I tried to be as gentle as possible!, I did! But it seems the bottom of the display bent a little, and the screen now shows an oval pressure point on the bottom...
When turning the device on has the screen completely frozen, though the lights are working still. Even if the screen is responsive, I wouldn't be able to know.

I don't know if I've completely wrecked my child, but if not: where can I see the product ID?
I'm sharing pictures so everyone can see how it's looking.

Thank you for the help!
Since the screen is broken beyond repair, could you please try how hard is it to take off the light strip that is glued to the screen and would it be possible sticking them back on after the fact?
Been contemplating on doing some mod on the lights, so this info would come in hand.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@JohhnyMix: Yep, IIRC, only the Aura One and the Forma use an eMMC chip.

EDIT: whee, missed a new page again . @davidfor added the H2O2 to the list .

In any case, the H2O definitely has an SD card. @frostschutz would know, his has a cutout in the back right on top of it .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:27 PM   #20
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@JohhnyMix: Yep, IIRC, only the Aura One and the Forma use an eMMC chip.

EDIT: whee, missed a new page again . @davidfor added the H2O2 to the list .

In any case, the H2O definitely has an SD card. @frostschutz would know, his has a cutout in the back right on top of it .
doesn't the original Aura 6" also have fixed storage?

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2019, 04:25 AM   #21
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Well, it's pretty normal esp. if the screen was already broken to begin with. That's the one downside of this eInk technology, the screens are just wayyy too fragile. And if there are already cracks in it the rest of it is just even more likely to shatter too.

Sidenote: is that a carpet in your picture? Electronics hate carpets and the like ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge ) so you might want to use a different surface here (wooden table or plain oldfashioned newspaper also works, or if you build your own PCs you'd probably find an ESD bag in your mainboard box or sth.).

Quote:
On your pictures in the lower left, there are these two flat cables ... they are the display cables. The connectors they are stuck in have these levers or latches on top, you have to lift the latch (carefully not to break em off) then remove the cables and ... the product id should then be printed on the other side of the cable that is currently not visible.

You might have to take the mainboard off entirely to be able to remove the old screen, but I'd only do that once you have the replacement screen at hand (so you know the exact placement and such)

Last edited by frostschutz; 03-24-2019 at 04:27 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:17 AM   #22
Karmylla

Frostschutz, you are the best!
I was able to open both connectors, and I got the serial number! Picture attached.

The model seems to be ED068TG1(LF), which, funny enough, is the same model I posted previously, ahahahah
Though, correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks again for all the help!

And, ah, no, that wasn't a carpet, it was a mattress! I'll assume the danger is the same, though, and I'll be more careful from now on!

ReaLx3m, I would do what you request of me (try how hard is it to take off the light strip that is glued to the screen and try sticking them back on), but won't that lower my changes of reviving my machine? Or is this only dependent on the display (which is going to be replaced?)

EDIT: So, I'm thinking about one of these, what do you think?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...78022e0e2XvD3U

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...AbTest=ae803_5

They seem to be much the same, but if you know something that I don't, please help me out!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190324_090349.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	170368  

Last edited by Karmylla; 03-24-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:36 AM   #23
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The model seems to be ED068TG1(LF), which, funny enough, is the same model I posted previously
still it's good to confirm these things beforehand

higher chance of ordering the correct part and actually being able to apply it once it arrives

so don't do anything until then

careful when taking the old display off, you have to deal with glass shards and what not

the challenge then will be ... putting the new display in ... correctly and perfectly aligned ... without breaking it ... super fragile

good luck
Old 03-24-2019, 09:36 PM   #24
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
ReaLx3m, I would do what you request of me (try how hard is it to take off the light strip that is glued to the screen and try sticking them back on), but won't that lower my changes of reviving my machine? Or is this only dependent on the display (which is going to be replaced?)
Well we shure wouldnt like that .
By looking at the pictures with the replacement screens on ali im under impression that they come with the light strip on them and you would dispose of the old one together with the screen.
The part in red is the light strip.

Name:	IMG_20190323_214641.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	170378
But i havent changed any ereader screens(so far only done a sd card replacement), so anyone with more experience correct me if im wrong.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:45 AM   #25
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks to this thread I've just ordered a replacement screen for my first H2O (v1) that I broke in 2015. (I bought a replacement H2O which still works perfectly up to now.)

Karmylla, I ordered from the second Aliexpress link you shared because it had slightly better reviews (4.8 ws 4.6 on the other) and more orders.

Fingers crossed I bring my first H2O back to life and gain a back-up e-Reader. Hope you get yours working too

Last edited by xtine; 04-02-2019 at 05:06 AM.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:09 PM   #26
Karmylla

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Thanks to this thread I've just ordered a replacement screen for my first H2O (v1) that I broke in 2015. (I bought a replacement H2O which still works perfectly up to now.)

Karmylla, I ordered from the second Aliexpress link you shared because it had slightly better reviews (4.8 ws 4.6 on the other) and more orders.

Fingers crossed I bring my first H2O back to life and gain a back-up e-Reader. Hope you get yours working too
Good luck to the both of us, then!

When I get the package with the new screen, I'll make a new post with how I got around replacing the display!
Let's hope I don't screw up! :P
Old 04-02-2019, 10:54 PM   #27
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might get your package ahead of me so I look forward to seeing your new post. Lucky me I'll have a guide to follow
Old 04-03-2019, 03:50 AM   #28
ReaLx3m
Groupie

On this listing there is a guy that managed to brake the new screen. So read his feedback just in case, it could help you not do the same mistake. Feedback on page 1 and page 3.
And also this is some pretty strong dual sided adhesive tape. I mostly use it for sticking heatsinks to chips and it holds well, but it should work well in this project too if adhesive needs replacing.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:23 AM   #29
frostschutz
Linux User

another person who managed to split their front bezel in two. maybe I was lucky but my front bezel stayed as one part and did not split into outer/inner bezel (inner being the shiny one with fins, that is for infrared touchscreen). it's glued outside and inside to the screen itself so you just have to be very careful when removing it.

and the adhesive for the display itself might still be good, if you only remove the old display right before putting the new one on. and not leave it out in the open to collect dust for 4 weeks. and yes those displays are super fragile, esp. when there is no backplate or case all around to protect it.

so can't be careful enough

anyhow good luck
Old 04-03-2019, 04:30 AM   #30
xtine
Addict

Thank you for the tips, ReaLx3m and frostschutz.

Funny enough, the link ReaLx3m shared was where I ordered my screen from yesterday at $32.99 and it's now gone up to $49.99.

frostschutz, I don't know if you remember but you were also very helpful to me when I made my initial post a few years ago about breaking my screen My front bezel is still in one piece but I'm not sure if the infrared is still working. I re-read my original post and saw that I could adjust the light by running my finger up and down one side of the screen. I tried that last night (with the front bezel in place) and it wouldn't anymore. Hopefully it just means I've exited the book I was reading which is why the light isn't adjustable. We'll find out soon.

Tags
broken display, kobo, kobo aura h2o