Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #91
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
TY very much.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #92
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yum on the lentil soup! Sounds similar to mine, though mine doesn't have the spicier spices added. Never tried the potatoes, either. Still, my favorite soup! I'll have to try your version this winter.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #93
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
VR's Killer Lentil Soup

- 2 cups lentils (or 16 ounce bag; rinse thoroughly; no need to soak in advance)
- 6 to 8 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional: a few ounces of ham (diced) or a soup bone
---------------------------------
- 3 or 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 or 3 diced potatoes (I prefer instead about 12 or so new red potatoes diced with skin on)
---------------------------------
- 1 pinch each dried summer savory, basil, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, and oregano
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 ribs of celery, sliced
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
----------------------------------
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Lemon wedges (or cider, herb, balsamic, or red wine vinegar)
- Optional: sour cream
- NOT Optional: fresh, crusty bread

Dump the first set of ingredients into a big bucket, bring to boil. Skim the foam and floating matter off and discard. Then lower heat to simmer while covered.

After 20 minutes simmering, dump in the next set of ingredients and simmer while covered.

After another 20 minutes simmering, dump in the third set of ingredient and simmer while covered. You may want to add a cup or so of water at this point.

After another 20 minutes simmering, remove the bay leaf and bone, if used. Mash or blend a cup or so of the soup and return it to the bucket to thicken the soup.

Serve hot garnished with parsley and accompanied with lemon wedges (or vinegar) and fresh bread. You can be evil and add some sour cream.

Eat it quick before the neighbors find out about it. Nothing magical but I could just live off this stuff forever.
This soup is miraculous, everyone has got to make it at least once!
I switched the savory and rosemary for hot curry powder, it's to die for!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #94
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hum, i think the next soup i make will be vr's lentil soup !!!! that looks delicious. and i love lentil soup.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #95
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Churro recipe(Simple and easy dessert)

Ingredients:
1 Cup of Water
1 Cup of Milk (Liquid not powdered)
2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
A dash of salt and sugar
Powdered Sugar, Chocolate, Caramel or whatever you want as frosting
Cookie press or Cake decorator bag with star shaped tip.
Preparation:

Step 1

Prepare to fry the churros by heating oil in a pan (1 to 1&1/2 inches)

Step 2

In a medium to large saucepan place the milk , water, salt and sugar and bring to a boil.

Once the milk/water is boiling turn off the stove and add the two cups of flour, mix with a spoon for about 1 or 2 minutes or untill there are no large clumps of unmixed flour but don't worry about lots of little clumps or balls of unmixed flour its supposed to be like that.

Step 3

Spoon mixture into cake decorators' tube with large star tip (like the kind use to decorate cakes, some cookie makers work as well) and and just make a few long strands of churros and then cut them to the size you want them.

Step 4

Fry these babys up untill golden brown and then add whatever frosting you want, or leave them plain and dunk them in a mug of hot chocolate

I usually drizzle some dulce de leche on these.

Poor Mr. Churro took 15 minutes to make and only lived about 3 seconds before he got eaten
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	623.5 KB
ID:	33076   Click image for larger version

Name:	churro5.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	33077   Click image for larger version

Name:	churro1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	33078  

Last edited by Catire; 07-27-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #96
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
This soup is miraculous, everyone has got to make it at least once!
I switched the savory and rosemary for hot curry powder, it's to die for!
What kind of lentils would you suggest?
My own suggestion would be half small red or yellow, and half Puy (alt. Beluga, but they colour everything grey)

I have a recipe for a mushroom stew that's quite like this, except there's less liquid and lots of mushrooms. Fennel and bell pepper are good vegetables for something like this, too. If one wants to keep it vegetarian, I've found dark miso (hatcho miso), to be a great supplement to ordinary vegetable broth, which tend to have a bit 'flat' taste IMO.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #97
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
I used Laird green lentils, but I think the red ones might have looked better.
Miso is always good, but it's somewhat harder to find, it's not in any grocery in the area so I buy some when I go downtown.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #98
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not so fond of green lentils - sort of a wrong combination of size and texture. I like the red ones better - and Puy lentils have more 'bite'.

I bought this miso online (not a great selection in the health food stores here)
http://www.clearspring.co.uk/japanes...ic_hatcho_miso
It's not too salty or strong, and has a great, full, round taste.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #99
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Papelon con Limon
Refreshing Sweet Drink.

2 Cups of Papelon/Jaggery (Substitute: Mix 2 C dark brown sugar + 4 teaspoons molasses)
Juice from 3-4 large Limes (Like half a Cup)
1 1/2 Liters of Water
1-2 Tbsp of Sugar(or more depending on how sweet you want it)

Mix everything together and let the Papelon dissolve, put it in the fridge and let it cool or add lots of ice. Add a hot day and lots of thirst and enjoy.

Substitute for the 2 Cups Papelon/Jaggery : 2 Cups dark brown sugar + 4 teaspoons molasses.

Last edited by Catire; 07-29-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Wrote lemons instead of limes. I always forget to switch 'em when translating
Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #100
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Julie & Julia
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #101
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Yes? Do you mean, do you think it's worth seeing or are you asking about it?

I've read a little about it, but I only have a vague notion of who Julia Child was, and I don't know if that will make the film less interesting for me.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #102
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Yes? Do you mean, do you think it's worth seeing or are you asking about it?

I've read a little about it, but I only have a vague notion of who Julia Child was, and I don't know if that will make the film less interesting for me.
I'm a great fan of Julia Child, who probably had the greatest influence on introducing French cooking to North America through her books and television show. (I'll take a look on youtube and see if I can find a classic where she quickly recovers from some mishap during the show.)

I'm also a fan of Meryl Streep who portrays Julia Child in the movie. She has Julia's voice down pat.

I thought it looked like a movie worth watching.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #103
Catire
Lord of the Universe

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!

NO CHOCOLATE IN THE HOUSE AND I WANTED TO MAKE BROWNIES!!!

::tragedy::
Old 08-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #104
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I'm a great fan of Julia Child, who probably had the greatest influence on introducing French cooking to North America through her books and television show. (I'll take a look on youtube and see if I can find a classic where she quickly recovers from some mishap during the show.)

I'm also a fan of Meryl Streep who portrays Julia Child in the movie. She has Julia's voice down pat.

I thought it looked like a movie worth watching.

WDE.
I've seen the trailers for it and thought the same thing. The American History Museum at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. has a new Julia Child exhibit where the have a replica of her kitchen including many of her actual cooking tools, books, appliances, etc. It's really pretty interesting.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:12 AM   #105
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
"Bon Appetit!" I have the book on my TBR pile; after reading a teaser somewhere.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote