Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol - Dissapointed!

Readers Beware May Contain Some very Small Spoilers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had never read any of Browns books but after I got my Kindle I bought The Davinci Code, Angels and Demons and The Lost Symbol. I was impressed by his writing style and enjoyed the first 2. Having watched the movies first I already knew the outcome but was entertained to the end of both of them to the very end.

I anxiously read Symbol and was excited to NOT know the outcome. It is pretty exciting and the level of detail, planning and thought that went into the book is amazing. There is one big plot twist revealed near the end that I never saw coming!

However as the villain is disposed of at the end and the story winds down I was disappointed that the "secret" was pretty lame. Not even a little teaser to make you wonder if there was MORE to the solution like a description of a small symbol under the spiral staircase that matched the books prime "object" sought after during the entire book possible leading to another level beneath it.

Compared to his other 2 books the ending was extremely weak. I had hoped for at least a mystery to remain or something outlandish to happen but it didn't. I was very disappointed.

If you read the book what do you think?

Last edited by Rootman; 01-15-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Corrected name of book - LOST Symbol not HIDDEN Symbol
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
I thought it was "The Lost Symbol" or have they renamed it here?

I did enjoy the Da Vinci Code when I first read it, more as a preposterous adventure story for a bit of fun than anything else. Though the clever little bit at the beginning of the book has fooled far too many people into believing way too much of it, or at least giving the ideas way more credit than they deserve.

The Lost Symbol annoyed me more on that point because he did it again but then added in loads of really bad science and tech stuff. The Noetic science stuff is just nonsense, all that stuff about ancient wisdom and science only rediscovering things not discovering them is a load of balls which shouldn't annoy me but does. I guess the skeptical scientist in me just kicked in.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Dan Brown has a very compelling writing style. His books tend to fly by very quickly, and you're left with a satisfying conclusion.

I'll admit I liked Angels and Demons considerably more than DaVinci Code. It seemed as though the second book was almost a carbon copy of the first; still entertaining, but so similar in plot points and twists. I also felt that the primary villain was not as well-established and the twists were not as solid. It was still an entertaining read, however, but I don't know the series kept me interested enough to want to try Lost Symbol.

Of course, the less-than enthusiastic endorsement doesn't help either =)
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:16 AM   #4
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Davinci Code 10/10

Angels and Demons 10/10 However the DVD I would give 3/10

The Lost Symbol, untill the last 100 pages 7/10 afer that, the big secret, which everybody knows anyway 3/10 what a waste of thirteen pounds.

Deception Point, fantastic just finished it.

Tried to read Digital Fortress last night but for some reason the refresh rate is realy slow. has anyone read this book?
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:26 AM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofengland View Post
Davinci Code 10/10

Angels and Demons 10/10 However the DVD I would give 3/10

The Lost Symbol, untill the last 100 pages 7/10 afer that, the big secret, which everybody knows anyway 3/10 what a waste of thirteen pounds.

Deception Point, fantastic just finished it.

Tried to read Digital Fortress last night but for some reason the refresh rate is realy slow. has anyone read this book?
I'm with you on all your scores. Davinci Code, Angels and Demons... couldn't put them down. Not great literature but real page turners, just perfect for a bus or plane ride. Lost Symbol... good beginning but a letdown at the end. Digital Fortress was so-so. Good enough to read and finish, but not one I'd recommend to a friend. I'll try Deception Point when it comes up in my TBR list.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofengland View Post
This book is not only his worst, the central idea (the self-encrypted encription algorithm) is totally ridiculous.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
This book is not only his worst, the central idea (the self-encrypted encription algorithm) is totally ridiculous.
I agree with you - I wish I had not read it. Wasn't worth the paper they printed it on.

I enjoyed both Angel & Demon and Da Vinci Code but for different reasons. I don't think Dan Brown is a good writer but certainly not a bad researcher. The Da Vinci Code reminded me to get back to reading about the templars, a subject I have always enjoyed.

And Angel & Demon just visited so many spots in Rome I could relate to as I did spent some considerable time there.

The Lost Symbol - I actually didn't finish it as it just didn't grab my attention and I got fairly quick bored with it.

Deception Point - good to read as well.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Like you all, I was disappointed with the ending to The Lost Symbol. I also thought the premise was weak (the CIA all in a snit because the President is a Mason and participated in their rituals...give me a break) but Brown is a good writer. His dialogue and character development makes it hard to stop reading.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote