Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Help Kindle 3 Two different problems?

I have a brand new Kindle 3 - almost two weeks old.

It froze once (first week) - I was reading a book, put it to sleep and when I next tried to wake it up I had to plug it into an outlet to get it to wake up. This worked and it woke up.

Last night I was at Ohare airport reading a book, time to board the plane - I put it to sleep - battery damn near 100%. In the plane it would not wake up - bummer. I get home and plug it into an outlet and nothing happens - zero LEDs light up.

I go online and find out about the '15 second' reboot and that worked. I got an Amber LED meaning that it is charging. ???

I am wondering if the battery indicator is faulty, is it telling me that the battery is good when it really is not.

I always leave the 3G/WiFi off unless I am buying a book or looking for an update. My firmware is 3.0.1

This is very confusing because I have a friend who got the Kindle 3 a week before me and she has never has a single problem.

Do you think it's firmware or a bum unit? Should I get a replacement?

BTW, I did search for the same problem, but I can't tell if I have one problem or two. It could simply be a bad switch for example, or a flaky battery.

I thought someone might give some insight.

Thanks for any help you can give.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
Ziggy925
Ziggy925 began at the beginning.

A lot of people have been updating the firmware to 3.0.2 beta to solve problems. I would try that before calling CS.
Ziggy925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
The Kindle should not be acting like that, so I would definitely be looking at getting in touch with Amazon.

I have not had a single issue with my Kindle (yet), so I do not see that you should have to live with that kind of behaviour.

On battery life - I have a wifi only version and have the wifi switched off most of the time. I use my Kindle for reading books, and average 4 hours a day reading. After just over 3 weeks of use I have just recharged my Kindle (the battery indicator was at about 30%).
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll call Amazon and ask for a replacement.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
deckard7
deckard7 began at the beginning.

Hello LordP, I'm having the same problem than you, sometimes my kindle 3 doesn't wake up, I thought it was solved with 3.0.2, but today it happened again, did you finally call?? could you tell me what they told you?? thanks
deckard7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Since installing the 3.0.1 firmware (now I'm on the 3.0.2 preview firmware) I've had no issues with freezing at all. I had quite a few problems before this point.

If I were you OP I would have tried out the 3.0.2 firmware first to see if that resolved the issues. But hopefully a replacement will soon be winging its way to you.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
deckard7

I've read about freezings while using kindle, but about not waking up is not so common, I have had this problem with 3.0.1 and with 3.0.2. I'd love to know if it's a hardware problem or it can be solved with a firmware update. Because if it's a hardware problem I would have to change my kindle. Anybody knows about it?
Old 10-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
LordP
Zealot

Sorry deckard7, I have been traveling on business and, no, I never did call.

It did happen to me once again but this time I think it was my fault. I had the power cord plugged in and I think I jiggled it very slightly and it rebooted.

I was also thinking that I have to be a bit more gentle with the power button, I have large fingers compared to the device and it sometimes slips when I try to put it to sleep - it could be that I hit the switch twice and confused the poor thing.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

If your micro-USB port is loose, and from your last post it sounds as though it might be, then I can see that being a problem. Otherwise, the battery issues in devices are often due to firmware. I lost track of how many cellular phones, PDAs, and other devices I've had that would show a full charge one minute and a depleted charge the next, or vice versa. The actual batteries were okay, but the firmware had trouble communicating accurately with the batteries. Personally I think you should call CS. I've had three Kindles and none of them exhibited the issues you are seeing. I've been very lucky and my K3 WiFi only has never frozen or had any problems since I got it about six weeks ago.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #10
LordP
Zealot

Hmmm, you might be right. But I also think I might have two problems.

The lockup happened again in this way: I was at work and checking a manual on the Kindle - not plugged in - and when I was done I put it to sleep. When I got to a jobsite I tried to start it and it would not respond. At no time did I plug it in.

So, this last time it positively had nothing to do with the USB, but it is possible that in another instance it WAS the port that messed me up. Maybe, as you suggested, the firmware is misreading the battery level.

In any case, I have lost confidence on the device - not the Kindle, just the particular unit I have now.

I wanted to make sure that I was not the cause of the problem and now I am pretty sure the device is at fault and will be requesting a new one from Amazon as soon as I get back from my next trip to Chicago.

Thank you all for all your input.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Call Amazon's Kindle Support. Make sure you call the Kindle Support and not Amazon CS. There is a difference.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #12
deckard7

hi

Hello everybody,

thanks for your reply LordP, I sent an email to Amazon 2 weeks ago, and they answered me to call them for online assistance, I live in Madrid, Spain, but anyways I called them and a lady took note of my problem and told me that she would contact with the technical team to see what's going wrong with my kindle, on last friday this lady wrote me to tell me thay they are still working on the problem, and that I should leave my wifi turned on for what they can receive signals from my device, I'm still waiting an answer, when they tell me something I'll report you if you want.

Last edited by deckard7; 10-17-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Two weeks is way to long. I would contact them again.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #14
deckard7

Hello,

good news!!, the lady wrote me on friday, she says the the technical team has contacted her and that they are working on a new update to resolve the problem with the lock ups, as soon as the new update be released she will contact me again, it seems that it will be able to be solved with a firmware update
Old 01-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
Jim Morton
Jim Morton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP View Post
Hmmm, you might be right. But I also think I might have two problems.

The lockup happened again in this way: I was at work and checking a manual on the Kindle - not plugged in - and when I was done I put it to sleep. When I got to a jobsite I tried to start it and it would not respond. At no time did I plug it in.

So, this last time it positively had nothing to do with the USB, but it is possible that in another instance it WAS the port that messed me up. Maybe, as you suggested, the firmware is misreading the battery level.

In any case, I have lost confidence on the device - not the Kindle, just the particular unit I have now.

I wanted to make sure that I was not the cause of the problem and now I am pretty sure the device is at fault and will be requesting a new one from Amazon as soon as I get back from my next trip to Chicago.

Thank you all for all your input.
Kindle's current solution is to replace the cover with the lighted cover (free upgrade). See http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20026116-1.html. Call 866.321.8851
Jim Morton is offline   Reply With Quote