Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
News Corp (Murdoch) and E-book newspaper

Rumor has it that Rupert Murdoch is starting up a new newspaper specifically geared towards E-book readers and younger readers. Based out of NY Post. Anyone know if this is true?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
hols57
hols57
hols57 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300packed up -thanks,Sony!) Kindle
I don't know, but I do expect something like this will happen in the near future...
hols57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Indeed. Newspapers are losing money and shrinking all over the world. I see little point in trying to 'adapt' the whole infrastructure of such newspapers into the eReader format when a fresh start would be more efficient, cheaper and avoid huge costs in downsizing and redundancy.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
hrickh
Enthusiast
hrickh began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, EeePC 4G Surf
Somewhere online (can't remember where) I was reading a response to this...
Young people don't know how to read a newspaper. They don't sit down and read the paper from front to back.

They read bits and pieces here and there, based on what their taste/mood happens to be.

I tend to agree. I pull up my RSS reader daily and pick and choose from all the feeds I've plugged in.

I also believe News Corp will fail at this for one simple reason: their news is cookie-cutter. Nothing local. If they try to charge for their content, it'll just be had for free from any other number of sites which happen to carry the same AP story.

Until these newspapers (and I'm not just referring to News Corp here) get back to original and local reporting, they'll likely continue to lose money.

R.
==
hrickh is offline   Reply With Quote