Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Red Flag -- No Reviews

I am seriously considering buying an e-reader here shortly and the nook is very intriguing. But I find it very scary that B&N has not shipped any review devices out. It appears that few, if any people have actually even touched one.

I just have a sneaking suspicion that when all is said and done, the nook will not set the world on fire.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutnacker View Post
I am seriously considering buying an e-reader here shortly and the nook is very intriguing. But I find it very scary that B&N has not shipped any review devices out. It appears that few, if any people have actually even touched one.

I just have a sneaking suspicion that when all is said and done, the nook will not set the world on fire.
Welcome to MobileRead, crutnacker.

When the Kindle first came out, it had its share of delays, problems, etc.

The nook may not set the world on fire, but it will add 'kindling' to the blaze!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, crutnacker.

When the Kindle first came out, it had its share of delays, problems, etc.

The nook may not set the world on fire, but it will add 'kindling' to the blaze!
*GROAN* !!!!!!!!!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
*GROAN* !!!!!!!!!
Sorry, couldn't resist!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Eugene
Eugene began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't the nook under a review embargo?
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
They're sold out through the Christmas selling season--why would they need to send out review copies?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
Kat89447
Kat89447 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I agree with the OP as it was a big reason I have not ordered a nook. I have been put off by the fact that everyone that has writtan about it seem to only have limited knowledge of any ereader and only the company line about the nook. I have also been annoyed by the very slanted comparisons to kindle and misinformation out there claiming advantages that really aren't such as titles available and how kindle can only get books from Amazon. I have a K2 and was interested in the nook for my daughter in law since the LCD is something she would be attracted too, but when a company continually only puts out slams on the similar product and has never sent out even one prototype device for the tech reviewers to review then I worry that maybe there are issues they are hiding. I understand that first generation devices have issues and many growing pains but BN is starting to act like they are not being truthful and now with the delay on shipping it makes you wonder. I will be watching actual reviews from actual customers if and when they actually receive their nook. Hopefully they are everything they are slated to be because they could bring positive results for ebooks and ereaders on every device. Competition is great for any business, but right now it seems like BN and their customer service is failing to improve their reputation.
Kat89447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
What troubles me is that if you do a search for information on the Nook, you'll find several articles referring to it as a Kindle killer and why it will be worth the wait. But as far as I can tell, nobody's had their hands on one long enough to even tell what it is like to read a book on it, much less what it is like to spend several days with it.

I think it is promising and it looks great, but it seems as though if it were the height of awesomeocity, Barnes and Noble would have had review models available or at least given a few websites access to the finished product to use for a few weeks.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
awesomeocity, .
DOOD!!! awesome! *steals*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
B&N is trying to emulate Apple and their secrecy...

...and it's not working. It's rather annoying actually.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:

B & N has made a lot of mistakes with this rollout, some their fault, and some beyond their control. However - if I was buying an ereader for the first time, it would be a nook. I almost bought one anyway; the only reason I didn't is because Chris and I found that deal on the netbooks. I may yet get one at some future date after the hue and cry has died down. I want to see what they do with ePub.

My ideal reader has yet to be invented. And I'm not going into the specs of that imaginary device here, because it'd get me lynched. But until that device gets manufactured, if it ever does, I think the nook would come closest to what I want.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #12
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I've myself held off buying an ereader for a long time. I've wanted one since I first heard about eInk. But there really wasn't one with the specs and features that I wanted until the Nook.

For me the big selling point was the wifi and Android platform. While the kindle also uses linux as an OS I feel that Android is a better supported and will offer many more possibilities than the kindle.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
binkman71
Enthusiast
binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505; nook
I think calling the nook (and yeah, I preordered one) a Kindle-killer is a little premature. The press does this all the time though. Take the best selling device in a category, and anytime a competitor announces a similar product, they dub it as hoping to kill the proliferation of the leading device. Every new cell phone is labelled as a hopeful iPhone-killer; every music player fares similarly.

Of course, one of the biggest things the press fails to acknolwedge is that even if the new device (nook) become very popular, the odds of everyone who already owns the leading product (Kindle) jumping ship to the new device is somewhat slim. So even if the new device seems to be selling extremely well, and knocks down new sales of the old device a bit, it still hasn't "killed" anything. Most likely, both products will continue to be sold, even if their sales figures even out.

Just the PR people and the media organizations going all sensationalist, like they do on everything.

K.
binkman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
binkman, I think you are pretty much spot on with your comment there. It will be hard to 'kill' the Kindle at this point. Amazon just has too much going right with their ecosystem for it to simply go away.

That said, there are those (myself included) who got the Kindle and left because we saw that Amazon wasn't likely to really relent on the idea of competing with the rest of the market on the same turf. Their format is their's alone, and their device only plays nice with purchased content from their store. That is unless you like running around stripping DRM off everything. That said, Amazon was what got me into eBooks in the first place, which they can say for an awful lot of people. Heck, I was looking forward to the nook because they'd be the first to actually seriously compete with the newspaper and magazine subscription/delivery service on the Kindle, which I still miss today on my 505.

I'd expect strong competition from ebook readers that use Adobe's SDK to maybe influence Amazon to either join in or find other ways to compete, but it would be silly to think anyone could make them simply leave the market at this point.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I find it rather curious that this thing is so sold-out and there's is not a single review.

I guess it's the Apple thing they are doing.

All I can say is that it better be fairly good or they are going to regret not previewing it.

Perhaps they are very confident; which of course is a positive sign.
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote