Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Kindle 2 in my hands! Wooo!

Well, I just got home and grabbed it.

I gotta say - MUCH better than I expected. The device is nice and sleek, I don't have Sony envy anymore. The interface is MUCH better.

Text to speech is.. well, what you'd expect. Wish I had it earlier this week when I was blind for a few days.

The web browser seems MUCH more sophisticated and is working better.

Love the new button-thing. Much more handy than the scroll wheel.

Not sure about the new buttons yet. I never had the "accidentally hit button" thing so I'm finding these are slowing me down a bit. But not much.

So far... after about 10 minutes.. LOVING it.

If you have an questions let me know and I'll try to answer.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Oh, also... the Amazon case is quite nice. It will NOT be falling out.
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Heres a question.

Side by side, reading text as in a novel, how much difference is there in clarity?

Dont' forget to poll....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Definitely a bit cleaner. Screen seems a BIT lighter, too. Not sure, though.

There's also a great "info" function. You hit sideways on a device and see the books cover, info about it, can see your notes, or delete the item.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

First hiccup.. Calibre doesn't seem to see the device.
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
First hiccup.. Calibre doesn't seem to see the device.
Not the Kindle's fault... and Kovid already has a patch test version for Windows on this. See other thread that I am too lazy to link to.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Yep. One step ahead.. downloading as we speak. Here's hoping!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

The new build seems to be working great!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Alright, about 20 minutes in and I have almost everything on the new device sans things I emailed myself. Taking care of that now.

Sorry.. Kind of "live posting" this.

Gotta get my PID though.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
bailey1313
bailey1313 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i also received my K2 today. It is really nice and thin. I did not order a case tho and i feel that I need one since I used one with my K1. Haven't been able to play with it yet.
can't wait.
Cin
bailey1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Ok... snafu #2..

Can't seem to get the PID. Kindlepid.py is throwing up errors with the serial number.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
rhonesf
rhonesf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Got mine today too! But, basically, it's sitting on my desk. Won't really have a chance to play with it until I get home.
rhonesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Mine finally arrived. This thing is very fast with my limited play time so far. Very thin and feels like a really quality product in the hand. Reminds me very much of the build of the Sony 505. Very nice overall.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Alright... got the PID working. Just had to reinstall/re-setup. Not sure why, worked fine earlier. But so far so good!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Ok... snafu #2..

Can't seem to get the PID. Kindlepid.py is throwing up errors with the serial number.
Did you cut and paste the S/N from the web site. Perhaps you typed the SN wrong?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote