Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Dragonkin550
Dragonkin550 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Exclamation Calibre Bug

Okay, so i have an interesting bug with Calibre.

I am trying to export my library to disc, and noticed that despite me having set the save to disc to use title, it uses title_sort instead.

Also, on a slightly different note there is another thing i noticed that may or may not be intentional behavior.

I have a Metadata plugboard that updates the epub title and epub title_sort to add the series and series index to the beginning of the title and title sort when i save it to disc. Doing that updates the metadata .opf file within the epub archive, but it doesn't affect the actual name of the file. So even though the metadata says the title and title sort is:

<meta name="calibre:title_sort" content="The Dresden Files 13 - Ghost Story"/>
<dc:title>The Dresden Files 13 - Ghost Story</dc:title>

the title part of the file name as exported is still just "Ghost Story". Again, that may be intentional, I don't know, but it's not how i would expect it to behave.

I'm using Calibre 0.9.5. I tried to report this to the Calibre bug site but the tracker wouldn't let me register for some reason. This isn't exactly an urgent bug, but if possible i would like to see it fixed. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre save to disc settings.png
Views:	290
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	95718

Name:	Book to export.png
Views:	250
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	95719

Name:	Exported Book.png
Views:	261
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	95720

Name:	Metadata Plugboard.png
Views:	258
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	95721
Dragonkin550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If it's just the sorting issue, it's because you have the title set in the metadata as "Ghost Story" and not as it should be, "The Ghost Story".
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonkin550 View Post
Okay, so i have an interesting bug with Calibre.

I am trying to export my library to disc, and noticed that despite me having set the save to disc to use title, it uses title_sort instead.

Also, on a slightly different note there is another thing i noticed that may or may not be intentional behavior.

I have a Metadata plugboard that updates the epub title and epub title_sort to add the series and series index to the beginning of the title and title sort when i save it to disc. Doing that updates the metadata .opf file within the epub archive, but it doesn't affect the actual name of the file. So even though the metadata says the title and title sort is:

<meta name="calibre:title_sort" content="The Dresden Files 13 - Ghost Story"/>
<dc:title>The Dresden Files 13 - Ghost Story</dc:title>

the title part of the file name as exported is still just "Ghost Story". Again, that may be intentional, I don't know, but it's not how i would expect it to behave.

I'm using Calibre 0.9.5. I tried to report this to the Calibre bug site but the tracker wouldn't let me register for some reason. This isn't exactly an urgent bug, but if possible i would like to see it fixed. Thanks.
There isn't a bug here.

Metadata plugboards affect only the information stored in the book. The send-to-device template affects only the name of the file on the device. This is by design so that a user can choose different schemes as appropriate.

As for title_sort instead of title, see the tweak "Control formatting of title and series when used in templates" (ID: save_template_title_series_sorting). Set it to strictly_alphabetic.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Dragonkin550

Thanks for the help :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
There isn't a bug here.

Metadata plugboards affect only the information stored in the book. The send-to-device template affects only the name of the file on the device. This is by design so that a user can choose different schemes as appropriate.
Yes, that is what I'm saying. I want to use the send-to-device template to change the name of the file that I save to disc outside of my library, and it's not doing anything. you gave me a fix though so it's not really that important I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
As for title_sort instead of title, see the tweak "Control formatting of title and series when used in templates" (ID: save_template_title_series_sorting). Set it to strictly_alphabetic.
Okay, that does fix it, thank you. It doesn't really change the fact that, as I see it at least, it's a bug. Because changing {author_sort} to {author} actually changes the field that is output for the file name. Changing {title} to {title_sort} does nothing though, since both of them output {title_sort} for the file name.

Last edited by Dragonkin550; 11-08-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Changing {title} to {title_sort} does nothing though, since both of them output {title_sort} for the file name.
It should work for Title also. Take a good look at your metadata for the book. It's sorting exactly as you're telling it to sort because in the Title box you have "Ghost Story" entered, not "The Ghost Story" to match up with your Title sort box.

So sorting by title will of course put it under Ghost Story until you add "The" to the title.
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Dragonkin550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
It should work for Title also. Take a good look at your metadata for the book. It's sorting exactly as you're telling it to sort because in the Title box you have "Ghost Story" entered, not "The Ghost Story" to match up with your Title sort box.

So sorting by title will of course put it under Ghost Story until you add "The" to the title.
no, sorry, i purposely added the The to the end of the title sort to show whats happening. As you can see from my images though, despite my setting for save to disc using the title for the file name, it saves the file as Butcher, Jim - Ghost Story, The.epub, which means that even though I've set the program to use Title for save to disc, its using Title_Sort to determine the file name.

Basically, what I'm saying is that it's ignoring my request for it to use Title and using Title_Sort instead.

Last edited by Dragonkin550; 11-08-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Ah got it, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted the title sort on export to disc to be "The Ghost Story".
Old 11-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
It doesn't really change the fact that, as I see it at least, it's a bug. Because changing {author_sort} to {author} actually changes the field that is output for the file name. Changing {title} to {title_sort} does nothing though, since both of them output {title_sort} for the file name.
Metadata plugboards have nothing to do with the Save to disk feature and the tweak controls the saved sort, so not a bug.

However if you want to use metadata plugboards when you send books to disk try the Connect to folder feature. This will allow a folder to essentially be treated as a device. Once connected to the folder you will use the Send to device to send books to the folder and the metadata plugboard may work.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-09-2012 at 11:48 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, bug report, calibre, help please, save to disc