Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Basic Kindle questions

I have done fixed layout epubs for Apple devices before, now I have to do one for viewing on a Kindle. I just downloaded the Kindle plug in for InDesign and had a quick look thru instructions.

I need to know the following,

a fixed layout created for Kindle should have a file extension of .mobi OR AZW3

regarding fixed layout epubs, which Kindle devices will be able to view these types of books?

thx

RD
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The only Kindle device that can view ePubs is the Fire series, which can install an app that can read ePub.

Not sure what you mean by "fixed layout", so I can't help with the file extension. As far as I know, .mobi files aren't ever described that way, so it might be .azw3.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think you can do a fixed layout via KF8, which is the replacement format some Kindles can use rather than the older mobi format. As @susan_cassidy mentioned no Kindle eInk device can view an ePub. You must convert ePub to mobi or KF8 and only KF8 would have the fixed layout ability.

Unfortunately I cannot help you on fixed layout in KF8 as I've never attempted it.

EDIT: Oops I didn't see one of your questions. AFAIK, the K3 (Kindle Keyboard), K4S and K4B (kindle non-touch models both silver and the newer black), Kindle Touch, and Kindle Paperwhite can view KF8 and I assume KF8 with a fixed layout. All the Kindle Fire models should be able to read KF8 with a fixed layout. I'm not certain about which Kindle apps (Kindle for PC, Mac, iOS, Android, etc.).

Last edited by jswinden; 09-27-2012 at 02:47 PM.