Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-30-2015, 05:35 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Data roaming charges to end in the EU by June 2017

A deal's been agreed which will abolish data roaming charges within the EU by June 2017. This will be a major benefit to people who frequently travel to different countries for work or leisure - currently it's easy to rack up very high data charges (which frequently exceed $1/MB).

More details at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33325031

(One reason I chose my current telecoms provider - Vodafone - is that they have extremely reasonable data roaming rates.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
EE's data roaming rates are also reasonable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More information now added: from April 2016, data roaming charges will be capped at €0.05/MB, which is much less than most people pay now.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
O2 charge £1.99 a day with no limits and they don't take your usage off your UK monthly data limit.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
O2 charge £1.99 a day with no limits and they don't take your usage off your UK monthly data limit.
Yes, people on monthly contracts generally get a good deal. It's "pay as you go" customer who pay through the nose for data roaming, although things have dramatically improved in recent years. With Vodafone I pay £3/day and can then use my usual unlimited calls and texts allowance, and my standard UK data allowance.
Advert
Old 07-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, people on monthly contracts generally get a good deal. It's "pay as you go" customer who pay through the nose for data roaming, although things have dramatically improved in recent years. With Vodafone I pay £3/day and can then use my usual unlimited calls and texts allowance, and my standard UK data allowance.
Are "hybrid" systems combining Cellular with WiFi available in the EU?

For example in the USA we have Republic Wireless and Freedom-pop both of which have done a good job with fairly seamless WiFi to Cellular transitions.

For example, I paid $100 for a refurbished Samsung S3 phone and entered into a basic contract where I get 200 voice minutes and 500 texts, and 500 MB of data for free.
My wife pays about $8 per month for unlimited voice and text and the same 500 MB of data.

We have free WiFi everywhere. The fast food places, the restaurants, the hotels, the hospitals, the doctor's office, etc. so that data is not usually a problem.
If however you are away from a WiFi source, on that basic free plan you are charged $.01/MB after the initial 500 MB.

There are other plans that cost more than the free one that include certain allotments of data.

In my work I used to have an air card for my company computer, but now since I am semi-retired, I just carry a Mobile Hot spot that gives out a WiFi signal for whatever device I wish to use. I use a pay as you go plan without monthly charges normally because usage is intermittent.

Last edited by frahse; 07-03-2015 at 09:16 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:34 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How does the provider make money from a free service?
Old 07-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The way they have it setup, you use WiFi whenever it is available, which means you don't use their data.
Most people probably don't rely on their complimentary data, and actually pay for a plan.
And as per standard service plans, most people are probably paying more than they need to.

Still a good deal on both sides.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #9
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
There's almost no public wifi where I live (big cities may have it, but they're still eons behind what is in usa anyway). I pay 10euros for 100minutes, 1GB internet (not 4g), infinite messages and infinite calls to numbers with the same company as me. If I go over the 1gb I get slowed down (a lot! almost unusable) but I don't have to pay more. I never even use more than 300MB because when I'm out I'm usually busy and have no time to even check the phone.
I've never used it outside my country, but I know I have a basic plan that is not very good (and it's forced on you if you don't have other plans):
3E/day for 25MB, you go over and it's 1E/MB (for europe and usa); 5E/day for 5MB (or 2MB depending on the country) for the rest of the world...
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #10
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
EE now do text & voice over WIFI.

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/wifi-calling
Although, they still take the calls / texts out of your allowance as normal.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote