Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
Bookwormish
Bookwormish began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Which eReader for (PDFs + Kindle books + library books)?

Hi everyone,

I’m a newbie and searched through the threads but didn’t see one that covered the combination of eReader features that I’m looking for so I’m hoping you’ll be able to help.

I read many financial reports (in PDF format) in addition to using Kindle for PC for Amazon books. I also read library books on my laptop using Adobe EPub and the glare from all this reading on my laptop is becoming an issue. Does anyone have suggestions for an eReader, with no glare and with free wifi, that I can use to read the following with ease (listed in order of priority)?

1)PDF’s - primarily financial reports such as company annual reports, etc. (and the occasional public domain book) – BUT I need to highlight, underline and comment on my financial report PDFs as I read them. I use Phantom PDF to do this on my laptop and would need similar functionality/ease of use on an eReader. The bulk of my reading time is spent on PDFs.
2)Library books – I can download library books as Kindle or EPub books so EPub is optional
3)Amazon books – I use Amazon for book purchases (great selection and reasonable prices) and public domain books and want to continue to do so.

On paper, the Kindle 3G Keyboard seems like a good option (I’m not a big fan of touch screen devices as I don’t think they are as durable as keyboard devices) but from reading comments on this forum it sounds like the PDF functionality leaves much to be desired. The Kindle DX seems better for PDF reading but it’s heavy and expensive. My budget is $200 but ideally, I’d like to spend $150.

I’ll be using the eReader in South Africa. Does anyone have recommendations for an eReader that would be a good fit for my PDF reading needs, perhaps with an Amazon Kindle App? I understand Apple IPads have a Kindle app, perhaps there is an open eReader that has similar functionality? Alternatively, is there an app I can use on the Kindle 3G Keyboard to read and comment/highlight/underline on my PDFs? I’m not tech savvy but, if need be, I can recruit my brother to modify the eReader given detailed instructions.

Many thanks for your help!

BW
Bookwormish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
When I first set out to buy an e-reader, it was mainly to read and annotate pdfs, but I soon realised that no e-ink reader would provide me with the functionality I needed. In the end, I got an iPad for that purpose, which I use with the iAnnotate app to mark up my pdfs. If you are going to spend a lot of time reading and marking up pdfs, I'd strongly recommend looking into second hand tablets - you could then install the kindle app and still read all your Amazon books on the same device.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Bookwormish
Bookwormish began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
When I first set out to buy an e-reader, it was mainly to read and annotate pdfs, but I soon realised that no e-ink reader would provide me with the functionality I needed. In the end, I got an iPad for that purpose, which I use with the iAnnotate app to mark up my pdfs. If you are going to spend a lot of time reading and marking up pdfs, I'd strongly recommend looking into second hand tablets - you could then install the kindle app and still read all your Amazon books on the same device.
Thanks, Jojoba. Great suggestion RE:second hand tablet! I hadn't considered a used tablet and of course new tablets would have been too expensive. The only disadvantage with a tablet is the potential for glare on the screen. I do a lot of reading and my eyes are sensitive so glare issues would be a show stopper. Isn't that a problem with IPads in particular?
Bookwormish is offline   Reply With Quote