Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #16
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I've never seen "muh" before, but I'm quite fond of YMMV - "your mileage may vary". Although YMMV may be more of an American-ism, since it's a riff on the legalese that car companies put in ads after they tell you what the "US EPA/official" miles/gallon is for a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think these are great bargains.

I always end up saving something and use that money for more purchases - that's what they want and that's what I want!*

* = Time for one of those 'muhs', meaning mileage varies depending upon usage.**

** = That is, assuming one intends to use it.***

*** = My drill sergeant warned me about people who assume things.****

**** = Who came up with 'muh', anyway?

sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I've never seen "muh" before, but I'm quite fond of YMMV - "your mileage may vary". Although YMMV may be more of an American-ism, since it's a riff on the legalese that car companies put in ads after they tell you what the "US EPA/official" miles/gallon is for a car.
I thought I'd seen it around the 'net, but I could be wrong. Perhaps 'muh' is used by small minds?*

* = Not that there's anything wrong with that!

ADDED: I visit quite a number of hi-end audio sites, and they constantly argue and discuss esoteric aspects of - for example - tubes vs. SS gear, in addition to this-or-that record [pressing/mastering] vs. CD vs. FLAC vs. DSD vs. DAC, not to mention bit-rate/depth, so it's quite conceivable that's where I encounter it. Gotta love 'em, but they're an argumentative little group.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-03-2021 at 10:14 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2021, 10:30 AM   #18
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've not seen "muh" before, but I kind of like it. Maybe it's meant to imitate the noise it would make if you say it?

I know what you mean about arguing about esoteric things - both my parents were academics !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I thought I'd seen it around the 'net, but I could be wrong. Perhaps 'muh' is used by small minds?*

* = Not that there's anything wrong with that!

ADDED: I visit quite a number of hi-end audio sites, and they constantly argue and discuss esoteric aspects of - for example - tubes vs. SS gear, in addition to this-or-that record [pressing/mastering] vs. CD vs. FLAC vs. DSD vs. DAC, not to mention bit-rate/depth, so it's quite conceivable that's where I encounter it. Gotta love 'em, but they're an argumentative little group.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I've not seen "muh" before, but I kind of like it. Maybe it's meant to imitate the noise it would make if you say it?

I know what you mean about arguing about esoteric things - both my parents were academics !

Sounds like a cow in labor.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have not heard muh, but I have heard or read meh.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2021, 07:22 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have not heard muh, but I have heard or read meh.
Apache

Meh is about as loathsome as 'world-building' or 'optics'.

But...since language is a 'living' thing, constantly changing and evolving, I suggest we all say - in unison - "Meh-muh!"

"I can't hear you!" The drill sergeant ejaculated, his eyes cold nuggets of anger. "LOUDER!"

So, about that deal (you know, the subject of this thread): I have yet to avail myself of Amazon's great bargain, but that's only because I spent $70 three days ago on 5 hi-res FLAC files purchased from HDtracks, which are now currently residing on my Astell & Kern AK100 II DAP. They'll be sent to my Rega DAC and thence to my McIntosh MA700 Integrated Amplifier where the sound will be forcibly expelled (like Cthulhu passing wind) from nether regions best left unexplained. Talk about sound-bliss.

Ah, well....Meh. Or Muh.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #22
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
That word after drill sargent, I don't think in common usage these days it means what the author originally intended...

I spent my... $25 I think, still haven't used any of the credit yet.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
That word after drill sargent, I don't think in common usage these days it means what the author originally intended...

I spent my... $25 I think, still haven't used any of the credit yet.

Exactly. Language is a living, etc., etc..............but, at least, we're all having a gay time today. Let the festivities continue!
Old 01-21-2021, 04:41 PM   #24
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
It's baaaack! Spend $25, get $6 credit Jan 21-28 Amazon US

At least, it is for me. Here's my link, maybe it will work for others. I usually see it when I go to Kindle Book Deals. Don't know if I will take advantage this time, I have rather overdone it on ebook shopping the last couple months...
Link

Quote:
SPECIAL OFFER
Spend $25, Get $6
Get $6 back in eBook credit when you spend $25 on eBooks.
Jan 21 - Jan 28
T&C
Spoiler:
Terms & Conditions
This offer is by invitation only.
This is a limited time offer.
Offer applies to all Kindle eBooks made available through Amazon.com and smile.amazon.com, including pre-orders that are fulfilled within the offer period.
Offer does not apply to eBook pre-orders that are fulfilled outside the offer period, physical goods, digital magazines, audiobooks (including Audible companions for your Kindle eBook purchase), print books, or digital subscriptions such as Kindle Unlimited.
To receive a promotional credit, you must (1) activate the offer any time during the offer period and (2) purchase the specified amount on any Kindle eBooks by 11:59 PM PST on Jan 28. You will then receive a promotional credit, and this credit will be automatically applied to your next Kindle eBook purchase. Any Kindle eBook sold on Amazon.com is eligible for this credit.
Offer limited to one per customer and account.
Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
Digital content and services may only be available to customers located in the U.S. and are subject to the terms and conditions of Amazon Digital Services LLC.
Within 4 days of activating the offer and spending the specified amount on Kindle eBooks, you will receive an e-mail from Amazon that indicates that the promotional credit has been applied to your customer account. The e-mail will also provide instructions on how to redeem the promotional credit. You can view your available eBook credit balance on any Kindle eBook detail page.
Your eBook credit expires 21 days after it is applied to your account.
Taxes and add-on purchases to the qualifying purchase (like an Audible companion) do not apply when determining minimum purchase amount.
Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.
If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:08 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Yeah, I activated it. My last two Amazon orders gave me $1.50 credit for slow shipping instead of the usual $1, so that's a nice little extra.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #26
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do the Kindle Challenge to get another $5 credit

Love the slow shipping credits! Where I live can never receive fast shipping anyway so it's free money for selecting a shipping method that takes about the same time...

There's another thread talking about the January Kindle Challenge, which will net me another $5 in free money as I have already completed 6 Diamond Quests. Woohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, I activated it. My last two Amazon orders gave me $1.50 credit for slow shipping instead of the usual $1, so that's a nice little extra.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:35 AM   #27
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
There's another thread talking about the January Kindle Challenge, which will net me another $5 in free money as I have already completed 6 Diamond Quests. Woohoo!
Thank you for mentioning this challenge, I didn’t know about it and was able to subscribe, apparently I have already completed several challenges without even knowing.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:45 AM   #28
ngrant
Gadget Lover

You are most welcome, enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
Thank you for mentioning this challenge, I didn’t know about it and was able to subscribe, apparently I have already completed several challenges without even knowing.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:59 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I'm in! Again!

Now to select $25 for MORE great savings!

Moooo!
Old 01-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #30
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
You are most welcome, enjoy!
I didn't know about it either, and it appears I've already completed enough badges to get the credit.

I do like the way that Amazon often lets you sign up anytime during an offer period, and then get retroactive credit for stuff done during the offer period, but before you signed up.

Thanks, @ngrant!!!