Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 05:09 AM   #1
bradje
bradje began at the beginning.

Device: HP Laptop
Adding separate PDFs into one large pdf

Hello,
Maybe this is a bit too far fetched as a request. I'm not meaning to be rude.

A book I wish to read has all chapters on the Web in PDF format. But each chapter of the book is a separate pdf.
Can I open up Chapter 1, then open Chapter 2 and add the contents of Chapter 2 to Chapter 1 and so on for the 7 chapters of the book, in Calibre?

Thankyou so much for a really excellent program! Very useful work.
JB
bradje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are many tools that can combine PDF files. calibre used to have this functionality as a command line tool but IIRC it was removed a while back given there are many other programs designed specifically for this task. Simply sue one of them and import the resulting into calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
bradje

Thx very much.
JB
Old 10-13-2017, 01:04 AM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
If you are running Linux, the command to use is "convert". Not only can this command combine PDF's like you want, but it can convert things from different formats as well (doesn't sound like you need that however).

The command line would be "convert *.pdf outputfile.pdf"

This is assuming that all your *.pdf input files are named so that they sort into the proper order that you want them combined. If the files are named more randomly and don't sort cleanly, you can replace "*.pdf" with "file1.pdf theotherfile.pdf input.pdf mychapter.pdf" - in other words, list your files in the specific order that you want them combined.

Your input files don't all have to be PDF's either. You could have some JPG's, PNG's, etc mixed in there as well.

If you're running Windows, sorry, I can't help you. Google search would be your friend.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:59 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@bradje - On Windows I use PDFsam Basic (Split and Merge), IIRC it's also available for other OS's - it needs Java.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:17 AM   #6
bradje

Wow! Thx guys. I'll try the Windows one and if I can't get it going I'll ask the Linux team at work for help.
Thx again for the suggestions.
JB

Tags
concatenate, pdf