Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
huggyfee
huggyfee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Post Markdown to ePub - How to tweak styles?

Hi

Just joined the forum - have had pretty good success so far using ebook-convert to convert a markdown file to a mobi file - quite painless so far - impressed with the table of contents plugin feature.

Now I'm looking to do a few tweaks, and not quite sure how to approach this - or if this is the right forum. Apologies, if so.

In the manual here , I can see reference to the mobi-file-type option - but it doesn't give the exact values to use - and I can't work it out from the source code unfortunately. No idea how this works. Does anyone have a list of values for this, or an idea of how I'd work them out?

I also want to be able to make changes to the styling of the output.
Is there a way to see what stylesheet is being applied (I assume this is getting converted to html somewhere along the way) and is there a way I can override parts of the stylesheet - e.g. the H1 and H2s seem a bit big for my purposes, and I'd quite like to make the H2 a bit prettier.

I'd quite like to dig into how ebook-convert works (i.e. trace through the source code) as well, but no idea where to start in the source code! Any pointers appreciated.

Really happy to join the mobileread community - and really enjoying my time with Calibre so far - can't wait to dig deeper

Thanks

Simon.
huggyfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The values are old, both and new. Details on how the conversion process works including how to specify your own CSS and debug the conversion are in the manual https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html

ANd instructions on how to read the source code are also in the manual: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
huggyfee
huggyfee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks - that helped hugely. It also made me realize that markdown might not be the best source format to use - HTML would allow me much finer control.
huggyfee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, ebook-convert, markdown, mobi, styling