Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks. I'll give it a shot...I found absolutely nothing on this....admittedly I didn't look real hard...I kinda expect these apps to be somewhat intuitive ...
Yeah, I didn't find anything on it either, I just sort of blundered into it! It works, though.

(Another thing that makes it good for reading in bed is that you can drag your finger along the left margin up and down to turn the screen brightness up and down. That's pretty cool.)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Yeah, I didn't find anything on it either, I just sort of blundered into it! It works, though.

(Another thing that makes it good for reading in bed is that you can drag your finger along the left margin up and down to turn the screen brightness up and down. That's pretty cool.)

Okay, got it now...the folder must be exactly /eBooks/import

(I had it as imports) .. when you tell it to import (from the home screen) it displays a message about the folder and name and then imports when you tell it to continue.

Thanks for persevering with me.

I do like that I can left justify....full justification on a small screen with technical programming books (with very long names) sucks.

Yes the programming examples are much much better than in FBReader.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-15-2010 at 08:21 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Okay, got it now...the folder must be exactly /eBooks/import

(I had it as imports) .. when you tell it to import (from the home screen) it displays a message about the folder and name and then imports when you tell it to continue.

Thanks for persevering with me.

I do like that I can left justify....full justification on a small screen with technical programming books (with very long names) sucks.

Yes the programming examples are much much better than in FBReader.
I'm glad it works for you now too. Go to bed and read!

And thank YOU.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm glad it works for you now too. Go to bed and read!

And thank YOU.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is the best app currently for Android to view ePub?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #21
bossfan2000
Connoisseur
bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iPhone 6+, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have an Evo 4G and have tried ALL of the Android apps. Obviously Kobo, nook, and Kindle are good if you buy books from their respective stores. So I'll base this on the idea you want to read DRM free epubs on your Android device.

I tried Aldiko, fbreader and Lapunta (plus the ones above from the book stores). At first I liked fbreader the best, because I thought it had more options for customizing. Then I tried Aldiko and it became my favorite. However, neither of those will give you the .epub page number you are on, which really bugged me. Otherwise both seem to have the same basic customization settings. So I would go with Aldiko over the other 2.

However, the nook app now allows you to add your DRM free ebooks to the /nook/My Documents directory..so now I prefer the nook app. It actually lets you choose from many fonts (8), instead of just serif or sans serif like Aldiko and fbreader. And it gives you the epub page number! That means if you use a e-ink epub reader, you can at least easily move between devices by using the Go To page functionality in nook and your device. Sure, not as nice as over the air synching..but its the next best thing.

Note to view the epubs you add to the My Documents directory in nook, you will need to select the Filter menu option in the Book View..then select My Documents. Otherwise your imported book will not show (this works the same on the nook e-ink device)

So I guess my answer is Aldiko or nook..whichever you happen to prefer.
bossfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #22
kennyc

I'm with Jeff on Aldiko but have not tried the Kindle/nook/etc. I initially used FBReader but found it was not displaying long lines correctly in some Programming Books. Aldiko displays them correctly.

The one thing I'm not pleased with about Aldiko is that you have to 'import' your books into it's library. With FBReader you can just drag and drop to a directory and it will show them.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #23
N13L5
tenjooberrymuds
N13L5 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
from what I read here, it appears that FB Reader has a lot of features in the PC version that didn't make it into the android version yet...
Cause I use it on my computer, and its got total overkill in choices on how you want to look at your books, from size to alignment to indentation, any font you got installed, it'll use, you can increase or decrease margins, and make any custom keyboard shortcuts imaginable.

What I initially liked about it though were the nicely done green button icons and the fact it didn't annoy me with fake wood veneers and contrast reducing imitation parchment.

Have any of you tried Barns and noble's eReader application, or is there no Android version yet?

Its got that annoyance of having to import from a specific folder too, instead of just opening a file, and its a little too buy-more-online centric, making reading your own books the last choice in the line.

However, its got one brilliant feature: if you have a supported dictionary installed, you get a lookup right in your book, without having to leave or even change pages.
Are you aware of any other readers that have that?
N13L5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #24
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by N13L5 View Post
from what I read here, it appears that FB Reader has a lot of features in the PC version that didn't make it into the android version yet......
I think that is true in general about any app that has a PC equivalent...primarily because of the space/battery/responsiveness and the limitations of the Android OS compared to a full-boat OS.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #25
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan2000 View Post
That means if you use a e-ink epub reader, you can at least easily move between devices by using the Go To page functionality in nook and your device. Sure, not as nice as over the air synching..but its the next best thing.
This is a little off the topic of ePub readers but ...

I wanted to read a book (Twilight series) that I had given to my wife for her Kindle, so I downloaded the Kindle app for my EVO, my PC and my Win7 tablet, and discovered the magic of WhisperSync. Since I use these devices interchangeably depending on my circumstances, and had in the past went through the hassle of word search to find my place when I changed devices I found OTA syncing to more than make up for any drawbacks of K4PC or K4Android lack of feature sets. And since my kindle books are transportable between devices, I don’t even mind Amazon’s DRM (too much).

In my case, WhisperSync has paid off for Amazon, I have since purchased the entire Southern Vampire Mysteries series, and a few more Kindle books.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #26
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I like both Aldiko and FBReader but prefer Aldiko for a couple of reasons.

- Aldiko lets you create collections as well as tags.

- Aldiko displays both your overall progress and your chapter progress [Overall Progress: 5%; Chapter Progress: 25% (20/80)]. Since most of the reading apps I've tried don't use the actual epub page numbers, I use the chapter progress in Aldiko to help me find my place when switching between devices.

I've also used txtr a couple times. It's not the best reader (really lacking in features) but it does support adobe adept DRM. And it displays the epub page numbers in the margins, which makes it a breeze to switch devices.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #27
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan2000 View Post
However, the nook app now allows you to add your DRM free ebooks to the /nook/My Documents directory..so now I prefer the nook app. It actually lets you choose from many fonts (8), instead of just serif or sans serif like Aldiko and fbreader. And it gives you the epub page number! That means if you use a e-ink epub reader, you can at least easily move between devices by using the Go To page functionality in nook and your device. Sure, not as nice as over the air synching..but its the next best thing.
I couldn't find a way to delete the side-loaded epubs from the nook app. So I went to the /nook/MyDocuments folder and deleted them outside the app, but the deleted books are still showing up in the nook app under the MyDocuments filter.

The epub page number is great, but every time I open a side-loaded epub in the nook app it opens at page 1 instead of the page where I left off. And there's currently no bookmark support for the side-loaded epubs either. (I read on a B&N forum the reason there's no bookmark support is because they rushed out the side-loading feature to make it available as quickly as possible and will add additional features in later releases.)
Old 09-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #28
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtx99 View Post
I like both Aldiko and FBReader but prefer Aldiko for a couple of reasons.

- Aldiko lets you create collections as well as tags.

- Aldiko displays both your overall progress and your chapter progress [Overall Progress: 5%; Chapter Progress: 25% (20/80)]. Since most of the reading apps I've tried don't use the actual epub page numbers, I use the chapter progress in Aldiko to help me find my place when switching between devices.

I've also used txtr a couple times. It's not the best reader (really lacking in features) but it does support adobe adept DRM. And it displays the epub page numbers in the margins, which makes it a breeze to switch devices.
I use Aldiko, but obviously I haven't explored all of its possibilities. Thanks for the good info!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #29
sbtx99
Zealot

Quote:
I use Aldiko, but obviously I haven't explored all of its possibilities. Thanks for the good info!
I'm glad the info was helpful! I only recently found out about the collections. But the chapter progress feature has been really handy. Stanza (on my iPod Touch) has this feature, so I was really happy to find a reading app for Android with the chapter progress feature. It's made switching between my mobile devices and my prs-300 much easier.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #30
sbtx99
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtx99 View Post
I couldn't find a way to delete the side-loaded epubs from the nook app. So I went to the /nook/MyDocuments folder and deleted them outside the app, but the deleted books are still showing up in the nook app under the MyDocuments filter.

The epub page number is great, but every time I open a side-loaded epub in the nook app it opens at page 1 instead of the page where I left off. And there's currently no bookmark support for the side-loaded epubs either. (I read on a B&N forum the reason there's no bookmark support is because they rushed out the side-loading feature to make it available as quickly as possible and will add additional features in later releases.)
Just got an answer over at the B&N forum for nook apps on how to remove a deleted book from the nook app: After deleting the epub file from the /nook/MyDocuments folder, go back to the app and log out & log back into your account. After logging back in, the deleted ebooks no longer show up in the app. (Yay!) Only drawback is logging out removes the B&N ebooks from the device, and you have to re-download them after you log back in. (Not so yay!)