Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Cloud collections help

Ok so i'm new to cloud collections and havent got my PW3 yet (in the post), I know Im going to be a bit stuck with organising collections so decided to create all my collections on my Kindle android app so they'd be ready to import to my paperwhite as soon as it was set up to add books.

As a test I installed the Kindle for PC app and tried importing collections but it only gives the options of importing from my old K4 or PC versions no mention of Android.

The android version is synced and connected to the same account (both show fine in manage devices).

Is this just an issue with android and PC or will I have similar issues with my PW3 when its setup?
oblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
You can't import collections from Kindle for PC as that application doesn't support Cloud Collections. You need to use the Android Kindle app and basically start all over again. Any collections you set up on the android app will sync to your PW3.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahh right thanks, amazing that amazon still havent implemented cloud collections on their PC app.

The collections are all setup in android so thats fine they should be ready when I need them.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblox View Post
Ahh right thanks, amazing that amazon still havent implemented cloud collections on their PC app.

The collections are all setup in android so thats fine they should be ready when I need them.
If you want you can use the app to start putting your existing books into the collections, I find that much easier and quicker than useing the paperwhite. Then those books will be in the collections when the sync to your paperwhite.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:11 AM   #5
oblox
Zealot

Ive done so for my Amazon books but I have many more sideloaded ones, I cant believe they be clever enough tor recognise sideloaded book information are they?
Advert
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ive done so for my Amazon books but I have many more sideloaded ones, I cant believe they be clever enough tor recognise sideloaded book information are they?
If you email them to your kindle via the Amazon cloud then yes they will appear on the android app and you can add then into your collections like any other book. Any personal document sent to the cloud is treated just like any Amazon bought book.

It's only if you transfer them via USB to your PW that they are not seen on any other device. If you do sideload them via USB to your PW you can still add them to the cloud collection on the PW but they will only show on the PW in the collection.

For example if you have 30 books in a collection, 10 of which are in the cloud, either Amazon purchasers or ebooks you emailed to your kindle, your PW will show 30 in the collection but if you view that collection on the Android app it will only show 10 books.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
oblox
Zealot

Yeah thats what I thought thanks. I have emailed my full collection to cloud but annoyed that this doesnt use cover images so will still side load and manually add to collections.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
oblox
Zealot

Ok another odd thing ive just noticed, some books have been correctly processed by amazon with series info prior to book name in title but some havent. No idea why this has happened this way im sure the first time I did it it worked ok but that was just MOBI (old style) and this current batch is MOBI (both old and kf8).

Does this dual format version cause problems? I thought itd be better from what id read.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're using a Calibre plugboard to add series information, plugboards don't work with the "dual Mobi" format. Use either "old" Mobi or AZW3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The problem with dual-MOBI is that the metadata needs to be updated in both the old and new content headers, which calibre does not know how to do. (Only a fresh conversion will update them, because calibre creates both and glues them together. Plugboards are not applied at conversion.)

dual-MOBI is better in some ways (supports syncing of KF8 for supported devices) but worse in others.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
oblox
Zealot

Hmm well all were converted from AZW3 to mobi on the fly as i dont keep the mobi files stored. Oh well going to have to side load anyway so will probably just delete the ones on amazon (ugh ten at a time) until they improve it to accept AZW3's.

Thanks for the help all, PW3 arrived so all the fun tomorrow setting it up.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #12
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
On the Kindle for Mac desktop app you can Import collections from a device but I don't think they have any real connection to the Cloud Collections on the Amazon servers. You may be able to do that on the PC Kindle software but it sounds basically pointless.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah thats what I thought thanks. I have emailed my full collection to cloud but annoyed that this doesnt use cover images so will still side load and manually add to collections.

All my emailed mobi files have covers.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #14
oblox
Zealot

Yes mine do too on my kindle but not on my phone app oddly. Oh well thats fine.

I've now tried plugboards for organisation (didnt like it), tried sideloading AZW3's and manually adding to collections (taking far too long and would be lost if ever i reset) so now im just going to give in and use personal documents and sort the collections from there so at least theyll be kept if ever i need to reset.

Oh well Mobi format isn't that bad for reading and I still have full AZW3 in calibre.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
oblox
Zealot

Ok having a thought, can you just directly upload to Amazon cloud drive to the 'My Send-to-Kindle Docs' in AZW3?

This would save amazons rubbish conversion allow me to sort into collections via the cloud and keep AZW3 on my device.

Will test in a moment and see.