Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
tsinghoo
tsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3
PoP's explaination about the uninstall problem is totally right.

There is no need to run a uninstall update and then restart your kindle in order to remove KindleVNC. You can just remove it as to simply delete an article.

I am working on more comfortable keyboard/mouse control.

Thank you all for your feedback.
tsinghoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #17
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I think your keystore file should be included into the hack list thread also.
Will do.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #18
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 2
I have 3G enabled and still connection timeout in 30 seconds. Kindle 2 over USB.
Rockets00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #19
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think the Kindle firmware version 2 is more aggressively dropping TCP connections. I had the very same problem with the kindlevncviewer tool (non-Kindlet), so I made it using an endless loop of reconnection tries, and so in the best case the user won't notice. However, connections are dropped a lot. I think Amazon did this to prevent long-time TCP connections which would eat battery by preventing proper sleep modes. Some TCP ports are excluded from this cancellation, so that's why - say - via an USB network connection SSH works uninterrupted.

Maybe OP can adopt such a mechanism for his variant of VNC viewer.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #20
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 2
i tried ports 5900 and 5901. Which are excluded?
Rockets00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #21
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Hm, I only know (believe with enough confidence, that is) of Port 22 (SSH) :-) I'll try to check again tomorrow (meaning within 24 hours from now). I think I remember seeing configuration files for the daemon (it's one of the special fit daemons started upon boot) that does this.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #22
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Err, I have done both the installs, and neither one of them had a *.azw2 file anywhere...?

EDIT: Doh, the whitelist. I'm a fool. I added update_ss_trial to the whitelist and she worked. So far no go on the connection, but that's probably because I'm a VNC noob. I will be hanging with some geek mates this arvo, and so will give it a go then.

Last edited by Tanga; 01-07-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
yoaaaaa
yoaaaaa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Hi, I paid $3 and installed the vnc on my kindle 3, connect to my pc via wifi, but the screen refresh rate is too slow to be useful, no where near the speed of this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdSRcZQoEJo

Is there anyway i can connect to vnc server via usb and make it faster?
yoaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #24
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
I tried to run this on Touch and here it goes:
Code:
./ufbvncd: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
so I created a symbolic link:
Code:
ln -s libjpeg.so libjpeg.so.62
and in vain hope of being successful, finally I got the following error:

Code:
ufbvncd: open_device> cannot open framebuffer device "/dev/fb/0"
ufbvncd: startup> cannot open device
which I guess confirms what geekmaster said about framebuffer difference between KT and other Kindles here.

So, is there anyway we can have VNC server on Touch?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 02-12-2012 at 09:52 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
funcky
funcky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 DXg
i have the same issue as yoaaaaa, it works, but incredible slow!
funcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
I tried to run this on Touch and here it goes:
Code:
./ufbvncd: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
so I created a symbolic link:
Code:
ln -s libjpeg.so libjpeg.so.62
and in vain hope of being successful, finally I got the following error:

Code:
ufbvncd: open_device> cannot open framebuffer device "/dev/fb/0"
ufbvncd: startup> cannot open device
which I guess confirms what geekmaster said about framebuffer difference between KT and other Kindles here.

So, is there anyway we can have VNC server on Touch?
/dev/fb/0 was an alias for /dev/fb0 that does not exist on newer kindles. Replace /dev/fb/0 with /dev/fb0 and you are golden, but you still have the "bits-per-pixel" and "line_length" details you must deal with. In a script, you can use eips -i|grep ... to extract that information. You can look at these scripts for examples:

K4 and Touch (ddplot): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1997659

Touch (touchpaint): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1989102

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-10-2012 at 02:50 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #27
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
just found i can get this working on my kindle 4 after all
unpacked & installed manually, edited the external.policy, and ran the kindlet. no access to the virtual keyboard to edit the connection settings, but quitting the kindlet then editing /mnt/us/developer/KindleVNC/work/bm.properties to set the ip/port/password then restarting the kindlet solved that.

i first tried connecting to os x's built-in screen sharing, as someone earlier in the thread mentioned it worked for them, but for me the connection would immediately drop every time. tried an alternative vnc server on my mac (vine server) and it works perfectly
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #28
briant1234
Enthusiast
briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have a question: How is exactly does this work? i mean how does it connect to your computer?? is it safe? and whats the difference between trial and full?
briant1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #29
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by briant1234 View Post
I have a question: How is exactly does this work? i mean how does it connect to your computer?? is it safe? and whats the difference between trial and full?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
godblessfq
godblessfq knows the square root of minus one.godblessfq knows the square root of minus one.godblessfq knows the square root of minus one.godblessfq knows the square root of minus one.godblessfq knows the square root of minus one.godblessfq knows the square root of minus one.godblessfq knows the square root of minus one.godblessfq knows the square root of minus one.godblessfq knows the square root of minus one.godblessfq knows the square root of minus one.godblessfq knows the square root of minus one.

Device: kindle dxg
Post Feature Suggestion

The program works like a charm. I am wondering if these features could be implemented:
1 Remove the the title bar (the bar that has "kindlevnc: press home to exit"), it takes precious space.
2 Zoom feature like the scale feature in many vncviewer. The current program left a lot space unused for low resolution screen.
3 portrait display. lt will be useful in reading pdfs. I can set a virtual monitor with 1200X824 resolution by zonescreen, then set it in portrait mode in ultramon, after that connect to the 2nd monitor via tightVNC, ideally I should get the destop without scrolling. I tried kindlevncviewer too, it also doesn't support the portrait mode.
Thank you for your consideration.

Ref.
http://www.zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm
It can create a virtual monitor with any resolution, like 1200X824 or 824X1200. Then you can set the vnc server to use that monitor, and set extended desktop in windows xp. Now you have an extra monitor and can drag any window to that desktop.
godblessfq is offline   Reply With Quote