Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-03-2023, 03:53 PM   #1
cosmicvoid
cosmicvoid began at the beginning.

Device: none
How easy is it to remove DRM from an ebooks.com ePub?

_____

Last edited by cosmicvoid; 12-22-2023 at 09:14 PM.
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 04:09 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
  1. Your Reader does not have to be online to read an ePub with DRM.
  2. It's very easy to remove the RM from an ePub from eBooks.com or any other shop that sells ePub with Adobe DRM.

Go to https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools and download the DeDRM plugin 10.0.9. Install it in calibre. You will need Adobe Digital Editions authorized to be able to read ePub with DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2023, 04:25 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
  1. Your Reader does not have to be online to read an ePub with DRM.
  2. It's very easy to remove the RM from an ePub from eBooks.com or any other shop that sells ePub with Adobe DRM.

Go to https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools and download the DeDRM plugin 10.0.9. Install it in calibre. You will need Adobe Digital Editions authorized to be able to read ePub with DRM.
As an alternate to ADE, ACSM Input (sometimes called DeACSM). This will let you add the ACSM file directly to Calibre and have it 'convert' (download, actually) to an ePub/pdf.

It's meant for Linux users who can't use ADE. But it also works for lazy Windows users.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 04:34 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
As an alternate to ADE, ACSM Input (sometimes called DeACSM). This will let you add the ACSM file directly to Calibre and have it 'convert' (download, actually) to an ePub/pdf.

It's meant for Linux users who can't use ADE. But it also works for lazy Windows users.
I don't know if that DeDRM works with that plugin to get the key.
Old 10-03-2023, 04:35 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I don't know if that DeDRM works with that plugin to get the key.
DeDRM shows as part of the import process.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2023, 04:41 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
DeDRM shows as part of the import process.
But does DeDRM get the key (when there is no key) from the ACSM Input plugin?
Old 10-03-2023, 05:01 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It works. I use it myself.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:40 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
But does DeDRM get the key (when there is no key) from the ACSM Input plugin?
Jon, your question really makes no sense. When the book traversing the import pipeline arrives at DeDRM, it attempts to use the keys it has from either automatic import or user configuration to decrypt the book. The ACSM plugin downloads the book using the Adobe ID you configured in the ACSM plugin and passes it to the import pipeline. The ACSM plugin neither has or needs decryption capability.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 04:26 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, your question really makes no sense. When the book traversing the import pipeline arrives at DeDRM, it attempts to use the keys it has from either automatic import or user configuration to decrypt the book. The ACSM plugin downloads the book using the Adobe ID you configured in the ACSM plugin and passes it to the import pipeline. The ACSM plugin neither has or needs decryption capability.
When DeDRm attempts to remove the DRM from an ePub, it gets the key from ADE if it doesn't have the key.

The question is, does it get the key when using ACSM Inport instead of ADE when there is no existing key?
Old 10-04-2023, 04:43 AM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

You log in your Adobe account with the plugin, or it uses a generic key. For god's sake, at least look at the plugin settings before mouthing off about stuff you don't know about.
Old 10-04-2023, 06:41 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've had several instances where deACSM was unable to remove the DRM, but the usual ADE way worked. No idea why. Admittedly it was a while ago, as I stopped using deACSM after that; it was just too unreliable. Perhaps it has gotten better.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 07:35 AM   #12
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Did you connect the plugin to your Adobe account? The generic key doesn't work for all things, not sure why.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:23 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Did you connect the plugin to your Adobe account? The generic key doesn't work for all things, not sure why.
Yes, I connected it. I don't know what the reason is; I noticed the books that failed were often bought from a local webstore, but they were regular English-language epubs with Adobe DRM and opening them in ADE was no problem, nor was deDRMing after that. Only deACSM seemed to have a problem with them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:11 PM   #14
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
I'm on a new machine that didn't have anything installed. I have long ago forgotten my Adobe login info, so I installed ADE and authorized it without any login (at work, so I don't remember the exact name of the option) and the ACSM input plugin (along with NoDRM) worked fine on EPUB books I bought from University of Chicago Press.

ADE also displays the books just fine.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:31 PM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
I'm on a new machine that didn't have anything installed. I have long ago forgotten my Adobe login info, so I installed ADE and authorized it without any login (at work, so I don't remember the exact name of the option) and the ACSM input plugin (along with NoDRM) worked fine on EPUB books I bought from University of Chicago Press.

ADE also displays the books just fine.
I was talking to Sirtel about DeACSM

Tags
calibre, converting, drm, ebooks.com