Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-05-2023, 01:40 PM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdancm View Post
Yes I have several registered eInk Kindles.
The books that have the new format cannot be downloaded and transferred.
Some books are only available in KFX format and may be difficult or impossible to import into calibre. If you provide an example of one of the books you are unable to download it will be possible to determine if that applies.

And as stated previously books borrowed via Kindle Unlimited are ineligible for Download & Transfer.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:06 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes I have several registered eInk Kindles.
The books that have the new format cannot be downloaded and transferred.

I have downloaded these files with the newest version of Kind.e for PC, but I cannot do anything with them other than to read them on my Desktop PC. I want them portable so I can read them wherever I take my eInk Kindle.

Is it not possible to have Calibre be able to import these new Kindle File formats?
If you're only going to be reading there KU/Prime eBooks on your Kindle, just download them to the Kindle you are going to be using. Most Kindle eBooks you purchase will be able to be downloaded with your web browser. The eBooks not available eInk Kindles are the ones you cannot download with your web browser.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2023, 01:18 AM   #18
drdancm
Enthusiast
drdancm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not as things stand now.

Do you have an eink Kindle registered to your Amazon account? If so, use the Download and Transfer option on the Amazon Content and Devices page to download the books to your computer and deDRM them. Note that this doesn't mean downloading them to your Kindle; it means downloading them from a web browser to your computer. But you need to have a registered Kindle for this option to be available.
Doesn't make much sense, but some newer books which CANNOT download into the old Kindle for PC and the Kindle Digital Console (on PC) says:

This title is unavailable for download and transfer

But, then, a day or so later it downloads into the old Kindle for PC on it's own, or I can Download via and Copy via USB

Whereas, other books, never download, and can only be read in the new Kindle for PC

Does anyone understand this weird behavior?

Yes I have several Keyboard Kindles, but they are full and hence very slow. The current one I am using, I could not register, because the message claims it is not compatible w my Wi-Fi.
However, I just checked it again, and it looks like it can now connect to my Wi-Fi. So I will see if I can register it.

Thanks !

I still would like to know if there is a reason why Calibre cannot acces the newest version of Kindle for PC. Does anyone know?

Last edited by drdancm; 04-28-2023 at 01:21 AM.
drdancm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 01:22 AM   #19
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
@drdancm - please see the first post of this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=351285
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 02:33 AM   #20
drdancm
Enthusiast

Kindle Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Some books are only available in KFX format and may be difficult or impossible to import into calibre. If you provide an example of one of the books you are unable to download it will be possible to determine if that applies.

And as stated previously books borrowed via Kindle Unlimited are ineligible for Download & Transfer.

I did not know, or remember reading that books borrowed via Kindle Unlimited are ineligible for Download & Transfer

Am I correct that books that were in older formats, were in fact available for Download and Transfer, since I'm pretty sure some of these books worked fine with the old Kindle for PC, but those published with newer KFX format are the ones that will not work for Calibre import, no matter what ?
Advert
Old 04-28-2023, 02:44 AM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
I did not know, or remember reading that books borrowed via Kindle Unlimited are ineligible for Download & Transfer

Am I correct that books that were in older formats, were in fact available for Download and Transfer, since I'm pretty sure some of these books worked fine with the old Kindle for PC, but those published with newer KFX format are the ones that will not work for Calibre import, no matter what ?
It's explained in the linked thread. Books published after January 4 of this year can't be downloaded with older K4PC versions. Earlier ones should still work except for the books only available as KFX (mostly textbooks and some Indian-language stuff).

You shouldn't be removing DRM from Kindle Unlimited books or importing them into your Calibre library*. It's a loan, and authors are paid per page read. This cannot be tracked if you take it outside the ecosystem and thus the authors are not fairly compensated.

* except for stub entries without the book files. I do this for overdrive loans to track reading history.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-28-2023 at 02:48 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 04:18 AM   #22
drdancm
Enthusiast

I always use Kindle for PC to move pages read to 99-100 %, because I want the authors to be paid, prior to returning the books.
Old 04-28-2023, 04:36 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I always use Kindle for PC to move pages read to 99-100 %, because I want the authors to be paid, prior to returning the books.
That doesn't work. You cannot just jump ahead in a KU eBook and have the author get paid. You actually have to turn each page in the time it would take you to actually read each page. You are not helping the authors get paid.

When KU first came out, you could game the system by jumping ahead in the eBook and the author would get paid. Amazon put a stop to this and you actually have to read the eBook on a Kindle or app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 11:36 PM   #24
drdancm
Enthusiast

Thank you to all of the people who have given advice. I was able to copy files into Calibre after using the Dowload to USB on the Amazon web page and in many cases that has worked, however it sometimes fails. I'm talking about books I've purchased not Kindle Unlimited, which is simply a loan.

There are many books that I can only read on Kindle for PC (latest version) but this is not where I do most of my readings. The Kindle (keyboard model) which is not all filled up, that I currently use, has so far failed to register with Amazon, but I'll have to try once more.

Thanks Once More !

Tags
drm, kindle