Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-20-2022, 03:00 PM   #1
bookandtea
Mint Magic
bookandtea began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Oasis
Can't break DRM for Adobe

I bought a book that was advertised as epub, but it has DRM on it from Adobe, which means I can't convert it to PDF, which means I can't read it and take notes directly on it, which is going to make it much harder to study.

I'm using the latest version of Calibre (just downloaded) on my new MacBook Air (M2 running 12.4). I downloaded and installed Apprentice Alf's plug-in which says it will break the Adobe DRM. And yet...it isn't.

How do I get this file to PDF? Are there new plug-ins?
bookandtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookandtea View Post
I bought a book that was advertised as epub, but it has DRM on it from Adobe, which means I can't convert it to PDF, which means I can't read it and take notes directly on it, which is going to make it much harder to study.

I'm using the latest version of Calibre (just downloaded) on my new MacBook Air (M2 running 12.4). I downloaded and installed Apprentice Alf's plug-in which says it will break the Adobe DRM. And yet...it isn't.

How do I get this file to PDF? Are there new plug-ins?
Did you open the .acsm file in Adobe Digital Editions first?

And if you have the latest Calibre, you'll have to install the latest version of the deDRM plugin, which is not the Alf version. Here:
https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-20-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2022, 04:24 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You might also want to use NoDRM's fork of the DeDRM code since that is supported. Apprentices Alf and Harper have passed the torch. Check NoDRM/DeDRM Tools.

If you downloaded an ePub textbook, it likely has Adobe's hardened DRM. See the attached matrix image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adobe_drm_matrix.png
Views:	125
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	195999  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:46 AM   #4
clayesq
clayesq began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks (iOS, Mac)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Did you open the .acsm file in Adobe Digital Editions first?
Did I miss a memo? Since when am I having to unpack the ACSM? I never had any issues with conversion until v.6.

Thanks for your assistance!
clayesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:12 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You might also want to use NoDRM's fork of the DeDRM code since that is supported. Apprentices Alf and Harper have passed the torch. Check NoDRM/DeDRM Tools.

If you downloaded an ePub textbook, it likely has Adobe's hardened DRM. See the attached matrix image.
But I believe DeDRM 10.0.3 breaks the hardened DRM.

From the changelog for 10.0.3.
Quote:
Add support for books with the new ADE3.0+ DRM by merging #48 by a980e066a01. Thanks a lot! (Also fixes #96 on MacOS)
and in #48...
Quote:
The second commits adds support for ""hardened"" Adobe DRM and updates the documentation accordingly. In a nutshell, this so-called "hardened DRM" is just another layer of encryption on the encrypted key, using info that's fully available in rights.xml
So there's no need to worry if you get the new DRM or not.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-31-2022 at 09:19 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2022, 09:16 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayesq View Post
Did I miss a memo? Since when am I having to unpack the ACSM? I never had any issues with conversion until v.6.

Thanks for your assistance!
The acsm file has always needed "unpacking", unless you use the deACSM plugin, which is relatively new development.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:23 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
To be clear ASCM files are not unpacked, they are fulfilled. The ASCM file contains information that Adobe Digital Editions uses to download the actual book from a server. It does not contain the actual book. The DeASCM plugin replicates the functionality of ADE in this regard.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 02:51 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If you have a decent ereader app or Kobo eink, reading and taking notes on epub is FAR better than PDF. Annotations plugin or Kobo Utilities can read Kobo annotations back.

Also you can edit the config on a Kobo so an extra context menu item is on epubs and then export a plain text file with date, location, highlight and note for each annotation.

PDFs are really just for publishing or printing or "book replicas" on a big screen.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, drm