Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Rant

Off topic, but it's garbage compared to ANY Media Centre or setbox or TV GUI I've used in 20+ years. And some of those to use your PC on a TV screen were bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Android tv on the right hardware is fine.
No, it is NOT the performance. I'm talking about a GUI that is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE for a real TV set used with internal Cable/Satellite/Terrestrial tuners and multiple external video sources (Analogue, multiple HDMI etc).
Only any good for streaming, games etc.
Too small font. You need to be twice as close as real TV GUIs! Or have 55" TV in a tiny room or sit at desk with a screen on it.

Poor for Terrestrial TV
Absolutely USELESS for satellite tuner management.
Ghastly menu structure, though last update improved it.
Madness navigating sound & video format settings

It's quite obviously tested mainly without Broadcast TV usage and on a 32" screen with someone at a desk. Not a 42" screen in an average room. The Default input select brings up the list of Android apps first

Uselessly slow to find an image or video on a plugged in drive because it scans drive rather than letting you navigate by directory like Panasonic (not Android). Older non-Android TVs are better GUI.

It is designed for a 32" tablet / smart monitor on a desk, not a TV in a living room. Also best to NEVER connect it to the Internet, but use a tablet or laptop as by default Android TV will send off titles of discs watched by HDMI and Broadcast channels watched as well as all other usage.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #62
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I used to think that Amazon was going to introduce KFX downloads at some point, but that never happened. Instead they have introduced some books that are KFX-only and cannot be downloaded at all. Those books must be delivered directly to the device over the air.

I worry that this will eventually become the only delivery mechanism allowed for most books.
I don't know how much duplication/overlap of books there is between amazon's book store and kobo's book store but my impression is that for mainstream books it's a lot. I like to remove/fix formatting that irks me so I always remove the DRM from books that I buy from amazon. If a book was only available in KFX with a drm that's unbreakable couldn't I instead buy it from kobo? I'm wondering what our options might be if and when unbreakable KFX books become the norm.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #63
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Can someone point out a couple examples of Kindle KFX books that can only be delivered directly to your device? Not doubting this is the case, but I'd like to test a workaround to the problem.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:47 PM   #64
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Can someone point out a couple examples of Kindle KFX books that can only be delivered directly to your device? Not doubting this is the case, but I'd like to test a workaround to the problem.
The following are only available in KFX format delivered directly to supported apps and devices:

Human Anatomy & Physiology Laboratory Manual (Pearson eTextbook)

The Da Vinci Code (Arabic edition)

I can provide more examples if needed.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:44 PM   #65
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
The following are only available in KFX format delivered directly to supported apps and devices:

Human Anatomy & Physiology Laboratory Manual (Pearson eTextbook)

The Da Vinci Code (Arabic edition)

I can provide more examples if needed.
The first link had no kindle edition available.

And the Arabic Da Vinci gives me the option to transfer via usb.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #66
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
The first link had no kindle edition available.

And the Arabic Da Vinci gives me the option to transfer via usb.
The first is definitely a Kindle e-book. Perhaps it is not available in the UK.

The second appears to have the option to transfer via USB, but when I actually try it I get the following error: We're sorry, this title is not currently available for download. (If you are able to download it from Amazon's web site I would like to know how.)

Last edited by jhowell; 01-05-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #67
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:

The second appears to have the option to transfer via USB, but when I actually try it I get the following error: We're sorry, this title is not currently available for download. (If you are able to download it from Amazon's web site I would like to know how.)
As I have no interest in an arabic version of The Da Vinci Code, I'll pass up on that one.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:19 PM   #68
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
As I have no interest in an arabic version of The Da Vinci Code, I'll pass up on that one.
Most of the books that are currently KFX-only are ones that would not appeal to most Amazon customers. That is likely why no one is raising a fuss about them so far.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #69
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The second appears to have the option to transfer via USB, but when I actually try it I get the following error

Thanks for the examples, which behave just as you described. Both Kindle books and USB transfer doesn't actually work. Can't download to Kindle to PC. No apparent /viable workarounds for these titles.

It'll be a pain when Amazon rolls this out on a larger swath of their library.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #70
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Although the Amazon page title pf the Anatomy book says "Kindle Edition", the description calls it an "eTextbook". Apparently it is the approved textbook for a specific course.

There's an Info box that says:
Quote:
This title is not supported on Kindle E-readers.
On PC & Mac, the latest version of the Kindle app is required. Learn more
Clicking "Learn More" pops up:
Quote:
This title is only compatible with Kindle for PC & Mac (versions 1.26 or later) and is not supported on Kindle for Windows 8 app. To read this title on Windows 7, 8, or 10, you can use the Kindle for PC app.
The list of supported devices contains only Fire tablets and the free ereader apps. I'm guessing, like a lot of textbooks, this book would not be usable on an eink reader
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:49 PM   #71
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

It's a mess. Well because Amazon.

Thought to check out some different Amazon sites and they treat the first example differently, e.g. on Canadian site, I can download the first example to Kindle for PC. Using v 1.17 (untested, because it's an expensive book) typically forces a non-KFX format download. Can't be certain without actually trying though. Sample download was delivered in azw i.e. non-KFX format.

The second example says that it's a Kindle book and "read on any device". But if you actually try I get the message that it can't be downloaded to my device or Kindle for PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
Register a free Kindle reading app and try your purchase again:
Get Kindle for iPhone
Get Kindle for iPad
Get Kindle for Android
Always a pleasure shopping on A.

Last edited by Junket; 01-05-2020 at 10:59 PM. Reason: grammar

Tags
device, download via usb, drm, sideload