Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 11:26 PM   #16
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Afaik, Amazon only sends KFX versions directly to the device and not via USB transfer.
Edited...

I haven't really investigated to verify what is happening, but I downloaded a couple of books for transfer by USB after specifying my Oasis-3. DDRMing with Apprentice Alf and Calibre failed, but when I re-downloaded for my PaperWhite-2 the plugin worked fine. So it looks like Amazon does send KFX files for transfer to the Oasis-3 by USB.

Now I always make sure to specify the PW-2 and haven't had any more problems.

In a post below ilovejedd reminded me the Oasis-3 has to be added to DeDRM before conversion can happen. I thought I had done that, but it wasn't there. Adding it solved the problem and now download for transfer by USB works for the Oasis-3.

Last edited by Kindleing; 01-02-2020 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Error correction.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:45 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
I haven't really investigated to verify what is happening, but I downloaded a couple of books for transfer by USB after specifying my Oasis-3. DDRMing with Apprentice Alf and Calibre failed, but when I re-downloaded for my PaperWhite-2 the plugin worked fine. So it looks like Amazon does send KFX files for transfer to the Oasis-3 by USB.

Now I always make sure to specify the PW-2 and haven't had any more problems.
Are you sure it downloaded as KFX? Also, what firmware versions were you running on the Oasis 3 and PW2?

Note, each e-ink Kindle must be configured in Alf for DRM removal to work. Perhaps the info for your Oasis 3 just hasn't been added yet.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-01-2020 at 11:47 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2020, 11:50 PM   #18
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
You can download a book an unlimited amount of times. BUT you can only have it on a limited number of devices simultaneously. Typically this is six devices but the number can vary, and yes that usually means less, when you run into the occasional exception.

Typically, Amazon won't be trying to get you to pay for the book again unless you insist on having more than six concurrent copies. Exceptions are usually stipulated by the publisher and it's nigh impossible to find out if this applies to a given book prior to purchase.
The information is a little esoteric but I think Amazon always tell you

At the publisher's request, this title is sold without DRM (Digital Rights Management).

No DRM == no simultaneous copy limit

Under Product details
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
no entry the default of 6
otherwise the value is given (usually expensive reference works.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chaucer-Can...dp/B00KX5HDLG/

Simultaneous Device Usage: Up to 4 simultaneous devices, per publisher limits
==

Last edited by Little.Egret; 01-02-2020 at 12:11 AM.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:48 AM   #19
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Note, each e-ink Kindle must be configured in Alf for DRM removal to work. Perhaps the info for your Oasis 3 just hasn't been added yet.
By golly you're right - I thought for sure I added it, but one of the three Kindles in my DeDRM configuration is my wife's K3-Keyboard and not the Oasis3. I'll have to add it and try again.

Thanks for pointing that out; after the conversion failed I just switched to the PW2 without doing further investigation.

Edit to add: Adding the Oasis-3 to DeDRM solved the problem and downloads work now.

Last edited by Kindleing; 01-02-2020 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Update with results.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:06 AM   #20
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
The information is a little esoteric but I think Amazon always tell you

Interesting. I'd like to think that Amazon is improving. Or even that some piece of legislation is forcing disclosure. But as far as I can tell it is an anomaly that you found a book with this esoteric information. Nor has Amazon ever been willing to provide these details to me upon request.

Was that a random book that you cited? A specific genre where you find that they disclose this information? Sorcery? I just clicked on several dozen random books on the UK site and found only one other book there that disclosed this information. For Amazon US, Canada, France and German sites, nada, zip, no way.

Last edited by Junket; 01-02-2020 at 01:34 AM. Reason: found one!
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2020, 02:29 AM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
When I use Calibre & Alf & Side load ebooks the eink Kindle side load as MOBI While my Fires Side load AZW3 formats. So don't believe Alf will change what they are asking & NO you don't need to buy ebooks twice. Just go ahead & tell them what device you what the ebooks sent to.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:38 AM   #22
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have seven Kindles and want a drm book on all seven, Amazon will ask you to pay for the book twice.

For a minority of specific books they will require you to pay for your book twice to even have it on two Kindles.

Last edited by Junket; 01-02-2020 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:13 AM   #23
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
If you have seven Kindles and want a drm book on all seven, Amazon will ask you to pay for the book twice.

if you can afford seven kindles you can surely afford 2 copies of the book !

why on earth would anyone need the same book on seven kindles, for their personal use.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:34 AM   #24
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

That will create BIG problems for people like me who don't have wifi. I'll have to get books from Kobo etc and de-DRM them. I can't keep popping over the road to pinch a friend's wifi each time I want a book.
Computer with a modern OS are able to create wifi hotspots that share a wired (or mobile) connection with other devices.

You should find out, if your computer is able to do this.
It should be enough for the occasional book download.
Sunlite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:40 AM   #25
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
Computer with a modern OS are able to create wifi hotspots that share a wired (or mobile) connection with other devices.

You should find out, if your computer is able to do this.
It should be enough for the occasional book download.
or you can buy kindles with "Free" 4G LTE connection built in. The connects are free, you pay up front by taking a more expensive device
Old 01-02-2020, 03:41 AM   #26
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
why on earth would anyone need the same book on seven kindles, for their personal use.
The desktop and mobile apps are what really add up for me.

I was reading a 4,000+ page series anthology that I've continued on multiple devices. Wanted to continue on my then new PW4 and alas, I couldn't because I've apparently already hit the device limit. Sadly, the devices I had it downloaded to were all at home so I couldn't free up a slot. Ended up just using KOReader to download and read the disinfected and converted EPUB from Dropbox.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:47 AM   #27
stumped
Wizard

ok - i did not realise that each use of a kindle for... app is counted as an extra device
in that case, a visit to Alf should help
Old 01-02-2020, 04:31 AM   #28
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped
why on earth would anyone need the same book on seven kindles

There is an all too common failure of imagination in thinking such and such doesn't affect me so it's not worth worrying about. Nevertheless lots of people do run afoul of arbitrary limits for all kinds of legitimate reasons. One ought to care on principle. Six device limit today. Actually a four-device or even one-device limit if you buy the wrong book. Maybe you'll suddenly care if you find Amazon wants you to pay twice to let you read the book you just purchased on a second Kindle?

It's not hard to see where where this trend might go.. Still no complaints? Great, let's increase the number of books that can only be read on one Kindle! Once they get used to that, perhaps we can try expiring books that they buy. Didn't read that book you bought within a week? Ah well, you'll need to pay for it again then to have it another week. Then maybe charge more for people that have high incomes.. maybe charge for..

None of this is particularly far-fetched, there is ample precedent of similar things already transpiring. At what point do you start caring? And is that point perhaps too late to make any difference?

Old 01-02-2020, 05:33 AM   #29
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
If we have installed your KFX Input plugin could we then load the book from the Kindle into calibre? And have the DRM removed if we have the plugin for that installed?
Only if you are using outdated Kindle firmware or app versions. Amazon appears to be committed to maintaining the integrity of KFX DRM. When a tool became available to remove it they quickly enhanced KFX DRM to block removal.

Amazon is no longer adding new features or fixing the long-broken DRM of their older formats. I am concerned that they may not be bothering because they intend to do away with the ability to download those formats at some point.

Amazon does not like to upset customers by dropping support for older devices. My concern is more about future firmware versions and new devices

Last edited by jhowell; 01-02-2020 at 09:03 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:42 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Amazon will surely transition all books to KFX, direct to device only ASAP.

Read that as they'd like to do it yesterday but will wait until they believe that the population of active, older Kindles is small enough to not constitute a threat to their overall ebook profit.]
If Amazon was going to do that, they'd alienate a lot of users. There are a lot of Kindles out there that will not do KFX. There are still the old K1, K2, KDX/KDXG. K3/KK, and K4 (there could be other models that I'm missing) that will never handle KFX. Some won't ever handle KF8. Which is why mazon has no dumped Mobi. That's the first thing Amazon should do (IMHO) is to dump Mobi. But until that happens, there's no way Amazon is going to go KFX only. Also, not every eBook converts to KFX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
device, download via usb, drm, sideload