Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Why Does Amazon Ask Where I'll Put A USB Download?

When downloading a book via usb, why does Amazon ask which ereader I want to put it on? At the moment I have the Kindle for PC on my desktop and a PW2, but hopefully I'll soon have a PW3. Shortly after this arrives, providing it's okay, I'll use a friend's wifi to register it.

However, I'd like the books I download from Amazon readable on both the PW2 and 3. Is this possible, or do they put some kind of 'key' on the ebooks so they can only be read on the specified kindle? Would I have to de-DRM the ebooks to read them on both?

Considering the synching abilities of Amazon, I would assume that I could read the books wherever I want. So why do they ask on download?

I don't have wifi, hence the download and transfer via usb.

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
DRM is device specific.
So,
For 2 devices you need 2 downloads
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Yep, books with DRM downloaded from Amazon are tied to a specific device (serial number based, iirc). You can't download for the PW2 and then copy to the PW3 to read.

You need to either remove DRM or download a version for the PW3.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Short answer is as above. Amazon wants to restrict who can read a book and the DRM is tied to your device's serial number.

Longer answer + big data.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does this mean that I have to pay twice for the same book? Or can I just redownload it from my Amazon account?
Advert
Old 01-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Does this mean that I have to pay twice for the same book? Or can I just redownload it from my Amazon account?
No need to buy the book again. Just redownload and specify your other PW.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Besides the DRM, I was under the impression that different formats may be downloaded for different device generations?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indeed e.g. Kindle for PC v. 1.19+ uses the kfx format instead of azw.

I can't give you any hardware examples off the top of my head but older models may not be compatible with newer book formats.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
No, simply download it a second time, specifying the new device. Or, get smart and liberate your ebooks entirely and remove the DRM from them. Google Apprentice Alf for details.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Besides the DRM, I was under the impression that different formats may be downloaded for different device generations?
Yep.

Some really old models only get MOBI. The rest AZW (even ones that support KFX). Afaik, Amazon only sends KFX versions directly to the device and not via USB transfer.

Kindles with firmware up to 5.10.1.3 and Kindle for PC 1.19-1.24 get KFX that are Alf-friendly. Those on higher versions have as-yet non-removable KFX DRM.

The MOBI and AZW downloads using the "Download and Transfer via USB" method are unaffected and are all "disinfectable".

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-01-2020 at 07:55 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #11
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

Quote:
Does this mean that I have to pay twice for the same book?

You can download a book an unlimited amount of times. BUT you can only have it on a limited number of devices simultaneously. Typically this is six devices but the number can vary, and yes that usually means less, when you run into the occasional exception.

Typically, Amazon won't be trying to get you to pay for the book again unless you insist on having more than six concurrent copies. Exceptions are usually stipulated by the publisher and it's nigh impossible to find out if this applies to a given book prior to purchase. Go Amazon. Thankfully DRM previous to the kfx iteration can be banished.

Last edited by Junket; 01-01-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Afaik, Amazon only sends KFX versions directly to the device and not via USB transfer.
The MOBI and AZW downloads using the "Download and Transfer via USB" method are unaffected and are all "disinfectable".
I used to think that Amazon was going to introduce KFX downloads at some point, but that never happened. Instead they have introduced some books that are KFX-only and cannot be downloaded at all. Those books must be delivered directly to the device over the air.

I worry that this will eventually become the only delivery mechanism allowed for most books.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #13
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

Amazon will surely transition all books to KFX, direct to device only ASAP.

Read that as they'd like to do it yesterday but will wait until they believe that the population of active, older Kindles is small enough to not constitute a threat to their overall ebook profit.

Last edited by Junket; 01-01-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Amazon will surely transition all books to KFX, direct to device only ASAP.

Read that as they'd like to do it yesterday but will wait until they believe that the population of active, older Kindles is small enough to not constitute a threat to their overall ebook profit.

That will create BIG problems for people like me who don't have wifi. I'll have to get books from Kobo etc and de-DRM them. I can't keep popping over the road to pinch a friend's wifi each time I want a book.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:41 PM   #15
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I used to think that Amazon was going to introduce KFX downloads at some point, but that never happened. Instead they have introduced some books that are KFX-only and cannot be downloaded at all. Those books must be delivered directly to the device over the air.

I worry that this will eventually become the only delivery mechanism allowed for most books.
If we have installed your KFX Input plugin could we then load the book from the Kindle into calibre? And have the DRM removed if we have the plugin for that installed?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
device, download via usb, drm, sideload