Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-12-2020, 07:24 AM   #1
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Library books, Adobe DRM and Onyx Boox

I have noticed a discrepancy in the way Boox handles Adobe DRM.

So on my recently acquired, but outdated Max (firmware 1.8.2), I simply enter my Adobe ID in the relevant global settings and then I can load .acsm files, and click on them and NeoReader automagically downloads the full ePub. Fantastic, and how it should be. Perfect if you are borrowing an e-book from a library.

However on my Nova Pro, which has the latest firmware, I cannot do this. There is no global setting for the device where I can enter my Adobe ID. So no automagical downloads into NeoReader, and I have to use the frankly inferior Adobe Digital Editions. I know this is the approach that Apple and others have taken, but surely this doesn't make sense on an e-ink device.

Anyone know of a way around this that does not involve illegally stripping the DRM from the file? (Not even sure this is possible, never mind desirable, on a library book).
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm, as I suspected, from the DeDRM FAQ: "You must own the ebook - the tools won't work on library ebooks or rented ebooks or books from a friend."

Oh well, I guess I'm reading library books on the Onyx Max or my new Pocketbook Color! No biggie, the Nova Pro is still great for DRM-free stuff.

I'm guessing the change on Onyx Boox is related to the new encryption Adobe uses in more recent versions of ADE?
Old 08-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
I'm guessing the change on Onyx Boox is related to the new encryption Adobe uses in more recent versions of ADE?
Probably they removed ADE support to avoid expenses. Sadly (for them) this is an online service that cannot be hacked. If they could steal it they would, as they're doing with their entire software stack
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
Crowriver
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Probably they removed ADE support to avoid expenses. Sadly (for them) this is an online service that cannot be hacked. If they could steal it they would, as they're doing with their entire software stack

I was reading somewhere (maybe an old thread on here, or on an ereader site) that the Adobe encryption algorithm changed with ADE v3.0 upwards. So it means it's more tricky for ereader and tablet manufacturers to integrate Adobe DRM into their reader apps. Apple's iBooks doesn't support it for example.

Maybe Adobe were charging way too much to license the technology, or maybe manufacturers didn't fancy being locked into that DRM. Anyway, rather annoying as my Max 1 handles it perfectly (presumably the older encryption).
Old 08-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I was reading somewhere (maybe an old thread on here, or on an ereader site) that the Adobe encryption algorithm changed with ADE v3.0 upwards. So it means it's more tricky for ereader and tablet manufacturers to integrate Adobe DRM into their reader apps. Apple's iBooks doesn't support it for example.

Maybe Adobe were charging way too much to license the technology, or maybe manufacturers didn't fancy being locked into that DRM. Anyway, rather annoying as my Max 1 handles it perfectly (presumably the older encryption).
The solution is to use ADE 2.0.1 and you will not get the new DRM. In most cases, you won't get the new DRM with newer versions of ADE. But it's not worth taking the risk when you do not have to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Hm, as I suspected, from the DeDRM FAQ: "You must own the ebook - the tools won't work on library ebooks or rented ebooks or books from a friend."

I wouldn't believe everything you read. The tools do work on library books, using the 4.x version of ADE (unless your library is doing something very different).

There have been very very few cases reported of the tools not working with the latest version of ADE.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #7
Crowriver
Groupie

Well okay that could be an option. I'm not really trying to "steal" library books though (or rather, circumventing copyright protections). I just want to be able to "borrow" them on my Nova Pro if possible. Handy split-screen reading/note taking options which none of my other e-ink devices have (the Max being the original version).

ADE 4.5 on my Mac. I've downloaded 2.0.1. Maybe I need to install it on a different Mac...

Will report back on success/failure at some future point.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well okay that could be an option. I'm not really trying to "steal" library books though (or rather, circumventing copyright protections). I just want to be able to "borrow" them on my Nova Pro if possible. Handy split-screen reading/note taking options which none of my other e-ink devices have (the Max being the original version).

ADE 4.5 on my Mac. I've downloaded 2.0.1. Maybe I need to install it on a different Mac...

If you ever end up with any eBooks you cannot strip the DRM, give a big FU to Apple for dumping 32-bit programs with Catalina.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #9
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:

Does your library use the Libby app?

I installed it on my Nova 2 and it works great.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #10
Crowriver
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Does your library use the Libby app?

I installed it on my Nova 2 and it works great.
My local municipal library does, but my university library does not. Instead it logs me into various publishers' web sites. Sometimes I can borrow an ePub or PDF of the book this way.

Anyway, I managed to get DeDRM to work. Initially had some issues as had not explicitly authorised ADE, so it was using a "default" account. Once I deleted that, I was able to authorise with the same account as on my Max.

I'm converted to the benefits of Calibre & DeDRM now.

Tags
ade, borrow, drm, library book, onyx boox