Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
MrGordons
MrGordons began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
PRS 505 Forever formatting then restarting

please help, i have had a sony PRS 505 ever since they were released, had no problems until now, sometimes while reading i click next page and the formatting icon shows and just sits there with the arrows turning, this proceeds for five to ten mins before the device shuts down and restarts, it also seems to drain battery life and also the device forgets what i was reading, usually reverting back to last weeks book in the continue reading tab, I have tried pretty much everything, i have trolled the forums and looked for similar stories and solutions, none of them have helped, I have also found that i can replicate the error by choosing to go to a specific page number and clicking enter, sits formatting and restarts. this reader is my life, if i can't fix this i don't know what I'll do. I'm in south africa so sending to mother ship is slightly out of the question. GO
MrGordons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Sorry, I can't help with your problem.

However, if you want answers, this is the wrong section of the forums to get help.

Either start a new thread in the Sony forum, or get s moderator to move this thread.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
How are you charging your 505, MrGordons? Similar glitches I noticed are a thing of the past since I started to use a mains charger. Mind you, I hit this snag within the first month of using a 505 eighteen months or so ago. (I'm kinda grateful for the problem because trying to find a fix brought me to the excellent and addictive MR forums.) Good to have your company, by the way. I'm sure someone here (there are many 505 experts) will come up with the solution. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
MrGordons

Thanks, hopefully a moderator can move this :$ I wasn't sure how to post in the correct area, I pretty much charge exclusively via USB, and if it helps, most of my books are stored on a very fast SD card (currently the internal memory is clean after many wipes) Neilmarr, did you ever find a workable solution to your similar glitches?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
MrGordons

ah, right mains charging, should have read your post better
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
MrGordons

Another recent issue, may be related. calibre has deleted all the info on my device, such as collections, my very meticulous Tags and sorting info is gone, and now almost every book has an issue with restarting the device while reading. im going to delete everything and use my backup to re-import from calibre with new tags and such, if it helps i shall let everyone know.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
As long as you plan to delete everything anyways, I would opt for a format of internal memory. There is an option for that in the device's menu.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
I did experience something similar to what you describe - which I attributed to full memory, and hasn't reappeared (*touch wood*) since adding an SD card. As you're already on SD card I guess this doesn't help much.

Maybe it is a specifically picture heavy large or long file that caused the problem.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
MrGordons

I reformatted one of the books in LRF (From epub) and it works much better and faster, This is unfortunate as most of my collection is in epub (support for epub was added in the last -probably final- sony firmware update) not an ideal solution, but no solution is ever ideal is it?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
To read ePub and many other formats on Sony PRS–505 effectively you need to download and install an alternative firmware from ebookapplications[dot]com. Installation requires only copying files to the eReader and when device starts it prompts user if he wants to load original or alternative firmware.
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
MrGordons

ebookapps, that website is amazing, if whats on offer works then you are a miracle worker, do you know if calibre plays fine with the alternate firmware?- thanks! looks good so far, download in progress

also, how does one browse books by tags or collections, surely the firmware hasn't removed that useful setting?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGordons View Post
ebookapps, that website is amazing, if whats on offer works then you are a miracle worker, do you know if calibre plays fine with the alternate firmware?- thanks! looks good so far, download in progress

also, how does one browse books by tags or collections, surely the firmware hasn't removed that useful setting?
Before you try this firmware you should take the previous advice and do a format of your internal memory via the advance settings menu.

Don't forget that PRS+ is a rock solid firmware enhancement package that includes a bunch of added features.

Quote:
Enhanced firmware for Sony eBook reader. Project was founded as "Browse Folders", but has grown into something bigger. Currently only PRS-505 model is supported.

Features implemented at the moment (for more details check the User Manual)
  • Browse Folders for books (sort by author, title, filename, author swapping surname/name)
  • localization (Catalan, Deutsch, Czech, English, French, ქართული, Русский, Spanish, 简体中文)
  • dictionary by Clemenseken & Lisac & m-land (to use it, put your dictionary files int /database/system/PRSPlus/dictionary. Dictionary files MUST have "dic" extension)
  • Book History by kravitz
  • option to set default zoom size, limit available zoom steps by kravitz
  • Menu Captions (aka Unified headers, always small, always big, sony default)
  • Page Index (page index style "1 of 100", "1/100", "1/100 (0%)" etc)
  • Clock (when to show, 24/12 hour modes, can be toggled on/off via hotkey configurable in Key Bindings)
  • Screenshot (allows to make screenshots)
  • Key Bindings
  • Switching between custom EPUB styles (custom epub css hack was integrated (path to custom css is: internal memory /database/system/PRSPlus/epub/style.css)
This enhancement includes 3 games - 5 Balls, Mahjong, and Sudoku and will include a scientific calculator soon.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-17-2010 at 11:29 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
One factor in this might be the format of your ebooks. I used to use RTF and sometimes an ebook would reformat, especially if I changed the font size. I now use PDF and my ebooks rarely reformat except when I change the font size.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #14
MrGordons

ok, dwanthny i took your advice and did an internal format, all well, then i put the ebook applications software on. it works but its difficult to find the book you want to read as you can not sort via collections or anything, you can only browse the disk structure like a computer window. also, strangely, the 505 now freezes on pretty much any book format eventually (Only on this firmware) it can even be the sample book they included -oliver's Twist- it can be ten to twenty minutes and then the pages will refuse to turn and no other buttons work, only thing i can do is use the reset pin and slide off and on. I shall try the other firmware you suggested.

P(r)S : does it offer any different formats than normal? it doesn't need to as im fine with the reader's normal capabilities. its only that the other slightly freezy firmware offers a host of other files you can read.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #15
MrGordons

ok need some gentle guidance now....HELP! how do I remove the PRSplus firmware. as much as I love it I loathe it, very slow and does the same format/restart trick but worse. i just want to get back to where I was, and the website has no removal instructions (That i can find)

Tags
crash, fail, formatting, prs 505, restart