Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Concept reader - is this really possible?

In this video by Hungarian Martin Perhiniak (English subtitles) he shows a concept for an Apple E-Book reader that is amazing. It may be smoke a mirrors but he has some "outside the box" ideas and I want one! What is and isn't possible? Are any of these ideas on anyone's radar? If not, that should be.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
if all that is true R.I.P. Kindle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Again?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Lately it seems like you only post to say something negative about the Kindle and I don't recall you being this way when I first joined MR. I'm not sure why you've developed this distaste for the Kindle but I wonder if you realize whatever bad fate befalls the Kindle will effect all other e-ink readers as well (and not in a good way).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
In this video by Hungarian Martin Perhiniak (English subtitles) he shows a concept for an Apple E-Book reader that is amazing. It may be smoke a mirrors but he has some "outside the box" ideas and I want one! What is and isn't possible? Are any of these ideas on anyone's radar? If not, that should be.
It does look promising, doesn't it?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
That is really promising.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
PRomising something that we probably can't and won't have for several years... if ever. Oh, and Steve Jobs said people don't read anymore... so Apple will not be releasing an ebook reader device. At least, they won't claim that is any device they make's main focus.

Or, perhaps Steve Job says this stuff to shock and surprise us.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 01-11-2010 at 12:04 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Maybe I'm just tired and grouchy, but all I got out of the video was:
- The guy basically wrote a requirements document for a nifty ereader device. I bet there are all sorts of documents like that with even niftier ideas at all the ereader and netbook companies. It's one thing to write down a bunch of features. It's another to be able to bring it to market successfully.
- The guy is hoping someone at Apple or some ereader/netbook company will see the video and hire him.

And what's this about making reading fun again. It's already fun. So,I don't want simulated page changing or other eye candy. I want a device that makes it easier for me to read what I want to read when I want to read it. And, I don't want to turn page with anything more than a single touch. In fact, I want the device to track my eyes and change the page when I get to the end. Now that would be something ....

OK. I'll go get some sleep.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:19 AM   #9
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Mitch, I agree with you. You seem grouchy. .

I just thought the guy had some pretty swell ideas. I don't see it as an Apple device but there are lots of companies out there who could use some creative stimulation like this.

Last edited by Katelyn; 01-11-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Agreed. I'm better rested now.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I don't think there is anything in that video that is not achievable with technology today, but two OLED screens that size would not be inexpensive right now...I've seen other working demos of that type of page flip though, and some nice dual screen interactions as well.

I love demos like this-I think a lot of people have vague ideas about what they want and don't want in an e-Reader, but seeing stuff in action is the best way-even if it is a canned demo
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote