Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Talking This forum is Scary!

looking at all the things that goes wrong with the 505 almost gives me a heart-attack!

I do have a problem with my new 505 though. Sometimes whether I'm actively using it or not, it locks up with a large about 20 point "Page Number _XXX" across the middle of the page of text. This "page number" bears no relation to the actual page number and the reader is locked up. Even turning it off by the top button doesn't unlock it. If I hold the "menu" button down about 10 or 15 seconds it will unlock but I don't know why.

Is this a new bug or what? should I return my reader or is their a fix, like updating the firmware that will help?
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Not a new bug at all. I get it all the time and I've had a Sony 505 for well over a year now.

It's caused by inadvertently pressing one of the numerical keys on the right side of the 505 when in the regular read mode. Since these buttons are inactive, in the reaf mode, when you press one, you get the 'page number' default. All you have to do to get out is pres the menu button once and you should be good to go
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
And you shouldn't have to hold the menu button down that long.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Whew! Thank goodness! I enjoy this thing to much to send it back!

Ok, I did it intentionally, and you're right, one push of of the menu button was all it took. I even tried pressing three buttons in a row and and it gave me "Page 143" but all it took was one push of the the button to straighten it out. I wonder what was happening though when it did this before and wouldn't respond to a single push. Oh well..Thanks for the solution people!
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:23 AM   #5
Ellimist
Ellimist began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue)
Nice coincidence, the same thing happened to me earily... inadvertently pressed number keys while the cover was on it during a TV break from reading ... didn't know how to undo it for a few minutes, but I figured it out... Still, time to read the manual. Heh.
Ellimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Since these buttons are inactive, in the reaf mode, when you press one, you get the 'page number' default. All you have to do to get out is pres the menu button once and you should be good to go
I might have misunderstood what Cassidym means by "inactive in read mode", but the numeric buttons are not inactive during read mode. You use them to change pages.

Say I'm on page 22 of 365, and I'm not liking the story very much. I may want to check the last page to see how it ends to see if I should continue to read. (Not that I would do that! Right!) I press in 365 using the number keys, then I press the select button, which is the center button in the round "joy stick" button. The reader then jumps to page 365.

If I misunderstood and everybody knows this already, then please forgive me for being pedantic.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
If you don't want this feature, you can use the PRSCustomizer to turn it off. I did, because I was always locking up my reader by carrying it around turned on and accidently pressing the page buttons.

Turning the reader off when the cover is closed will keep it from happening as well. Whatever suits you best.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have never had any issues at all with my 505. From day 1, I plugged it into Calibre, dragged my books over and it was all good. When I think back to my eBookwise days where I had to log into a web server, upload files and sometimes it took more than one try, log out, log in with the device plugged in and sometimes that took more than one try etc. the 505 is smooth sailing.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Ah, I've never used the PRSCustomizer, so I didn't realize you could turn off the number keys. Sorry about that less-than-helpful reply!
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote