Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2008, 07:00 AM   #16
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sony Reader Lighgwedge mod:
http://www.msh-tools.com/ebook/frontlight.html
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Ahh... I didn't realize that side lighting required another layer of glass. I thought that it was possible to illuminate the existing glass substrate of the screen.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Lightwedge is working on a version for the Kindle according to a post on the Amazon Discussion Boards. Maybe they're working on one for other readers as well.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #19
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Lightwedge is working on a version for the Kindle according to a post on the Amazon Discussion Boards. Maybe they're working on one for other readers as well.
I like the idea, but then I also liked it when we heard essentially the same thing about one for the Sony back in November 2006, on these boards.

If it makes it to market, great, but I won't hold my breath.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Ahh, so Lightwedge likes to shine us on (so to speak).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #21
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
I don't think it would ever be done, or would be cost effective, but I wonder if even theoretically the white particles in e-ink could be made to glow. At a simple level, passively by absorbing light and re-emitting it later, which might buy one an hour or so of in-the-dark reading, and would probably increase perceived contrast even in normal lighting. Or at a more complex level, by a trickle charge making a special white-particle material emit light. And I wonder if the latter could work without interfering with the charges required to change the grey scales of cells.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #22
Mitty
Mitty began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
hey, you guys, there's a backlighting solution for e-ink displays. I'm not sure of the details, but go to wikipedia and search for the first e-ink cell phone. It will say that it is somehow lit. The rest of the research is for you.
Mitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #23
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
eink is never back lit because its opaque. the first eink phone did not have back lighting. i know this not only because its impossible but also because i have one within reach while typing this.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #24
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
hey, you guys, there's a backlighting solution for e-ink displays. I'm not sure of the details, but go to wikipedia and search for the first e-ink cell phone. It will say that it is somehow lit. The rest of the research is for you.
I have one of those phones (Motofone F3) - in fact, I just posted about it in another thread. I don't remember exactly how the illumination works, but I don't think the screen was backlit - I think it was lit from the side or bottom. The keyboard was backlit, though.

(I can't find my charger or I'd provide more details).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:25 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's self-evidently not backlit, for the very simple reason that eInk screens are opaque, and hence cannot be backlit. The previous poster is wrong in saying that there's a backlighting solution for eInk - there isn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:43 AM   #26
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
I like the idea of adding glow-in-the-dark material to the white pigment.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:48 AM   #27
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
hm... I may be a little grumpy here... but before mankind invented e-Readers and even Computers, all of us were reading paper books and nobody was asking for a backlit book! Nobody said that it was not convenient to read their Salinger in the dark, because it is not backlit!
e-Ink panels are the closest thing to paper that there is - why anybody would need back-lighting paper, even electronic?...
just being grumpy...
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #28
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's self-evidently not backlit, for the very simple reason that eInk screens are opaque, and hence cannot be backlit. The previous poster is wrong in saying that there's a backlighting solution for eInk - there isn't.
I'm not sure about the Motophone, but my Samsung Alias 2 cellphone has an e-Ink keyboard and definitely seems to be backlit. This review (http://www.laptopmag.com/review/cell...g-alias-2.aspx) also mentions backlighting:

"The white keys are backlit, which makes the black text easier to read; and the buttons are soft and easy to type on."
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #29
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsebs View Post
"The white keys are backlit, which makes the black text easier to read; and the buttons are soft and easy to type on."
From the photo, they could easily be side-lit. Those buttons look thick.

I wonder, does the backside of an e-Ink display have a negative image of the front side? I suspect that it does. This would explain why, even if the white pigment was translucent, it cannot be backlit.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #30
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the alias keys have a bubble over them and the light comes from the side not the back. the reviewer wrote back lit out of laziness or ignorance.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlight, e-ink, electroluminescent, feature, power