Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Ereaders WITHOUT These Things

I have been looking for another ereader to buy and I come across ones I like but then I find out they have things I don't need and that puts me off.

What are some ereaders that don't play music, vids and store pictures on? I want a ereader that is just that. You put books on it and you read.

The only one I have found I like is the KT. I need a ereader that can be posted to Aus.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am a little puzzled why you don't just ignore those features that you don't wish to use? My Kindle will play music, but it's not a feature that I use. Pretty much all devices can display pictures. This is necessary for such tasks as displaying cover images and illustrations in books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo Touch should be coming to Australia retail locations in the next few weeks. (Hopefully before november).

I'd wait for that

But then I'm a tad biased.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am a little puzzled why you don't just ignore those features that you don't wish to use? My Kindle will play music, but it's not a feature that I use. Pretty much all devices can display pictures. This is necessary for such tasks as displaying cover images and illustrations in books.
Some advantages of not having certain features could be that the menus can be simpler, so the reader would be easier to use, and that the reader could be cheaper - you don't pay for the features you don't want.

Unfortunately, both these advantages are just theoretical.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
those features are mostly software(minus speakers or audio out) so add very minimal dollars to the overall retail of the device. they add more "perceived" value making the prices seem more reasonable.

that said- what you want is a pocketbook 360. not "plus" just a regular 360
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
those features are mostly software(minus speakers or audio out) so add very minimal dollars to the overall retail of the device. they add more "perceived" value making the prices seem more reasonable.

that said- what you want is a pocketbook 360. not "plus" just a regular 360
Thanks for that I will take a look.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:19 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 360 is a good reader. Its downside is that it uses the older Vizplex screen, not the newer Pearl screen which has much better contrast.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Iriver Story HD has an SD card slot (full size) and no audio/wifi (at least the basic european version, US apparently have wifi), and it comes at a fair price.

It has some downsides such as software lacking features (if you need those) and no next page button on the sides of the display (have to use the keyboard, matter of taste).

The only reason to buy a PB 360 these days is if you are particularly fond of the exterior design (5" with plastic cover), technically it's lacking/outdated in both display and software. The price was recently lowered from 150€ to 100€ in Europe but it can't quite measure up to the new models out there.

They should make a new version of the 360 with a better display but oh well.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't know of any ereader that plays videos.

I do know that Amazon's MP3 player is in a totally different area then the books. If you store music on your K3 it will not appear on the same screen as your books.

I have no idea about e-readers being used to store pictures. I know some folks use pictures to make their own screen savers.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Jhary
Enthusiast
Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 360°
Trekstore 7M
Jhary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 AM   #11
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
It's like asking for the DVD-player that would NOT play audio files... it's like... given, than modern e-readers would support music files... if you don't need them, just don't listen to them))))
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote