Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #61
tanteoma
Enthusiast
tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlepolska View Post
Can someone confirm thath after update to 5.1.0. Text-to-Speach is working? I've updated my Kindle and tts not working for me. Tested on .mobi and .txt files. The option in menu is unhighlighted. But I've tried tts on Kindle's manual and it is working.
It's working for me, and it's working when I switched the display language, too. But when the display is in "landscape" mode, the text-to-speech option doesn't appear. Maybe that's your problem?
tanteoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #62
kindlepolska
kindlepolska began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanteoma View Post
It's working for me, and it's working when I switched the display language, too. But when the display is in "landscape" mode, the text-to-speech option doesn't appear. Maybe that's your problem?
Ok I've probably figured it out. Does your tts reading books in different language than english? Mine reading only english texts, it doesn't matter which localization I'm using. Funny thing, I wrote few english words, saved as .txt file and Kindle reads them. Same words in polish and tts are not working.
kindlepolska is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Also an appropriately formatted footnote will have a 'return' link to take you back to the original reference. On KT this is much more convenient than using the 'hidden' Back button, or even the physical back button on previous Kindles. One tap only. The only time Back is needed is when there is no return link (or you move off the page where the return link is and can no longer access it easily). If the book doesn't include such return links for footnotes, that's something to take up with the publisher. It is a standard ebook formatting practice, regardless of format, especially with the advent of touch screens.
Actually, tomsen, Amazon's Kindle publishing guidelines specifically recommend that back links are NOT provided. The "Back" button is the recommended way to get back from an endnote. That's the way that I do all my eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #64
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually, tomsen, Amazon's Kindle publishing guidelines specifically recommend that back links are NOT provided. The "Back" button is the recommended way to get back from an endnote. That's the way that I do all my eBooks.
I'm sure that was written way back when Kindles all had a dedicated Back button. I would definitely add a return link since most touch screen devices tend to universally use one. Amazon needs to update their terribly written publishing guides. The documentation they provide for KF8 is pathetic.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #65
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
deleted
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #66
linkin360
linkin360 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlepolska View Post
Can someone confirm thath after update to 5.1.0. Text-to-Speech is working? I've updated my Kindle and tts not working for me. Tested on .mobi and .txt files. The option in menu is unhighlighted. But I've tried tts on Kindle's manual and it is working.
Something similar happened to me, i have several scanned->OCR->EPUB->MOBI(through calibre) books/documents and TTS, wich was workinf pre-update, was disabled for (only) those. I think i figured out why, the metadata of the books was missing the language, after setting language to english (through calibre) TTS was enabled again.
linkin360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #67
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Does anyone else have a problem with the KT not showing the book covers when you press the book title for about 2 seconds on the main screen? It worked perfectly in v5.04, but now I don't see the book covers, only a generic picture.

Due to geo restrictions, all my ebooks are bought from non-Amazon retailers. Could that be the reason?
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #68
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Does anyone else have a problem with the KT not showing the book covers when you press the book title for about 2 seconds on the main screen? It worked perfectly in v5.04, but now I don't see the book covers, only a generic picture.

Due to geo restrictions, all my ebooks are bought from non-Amazon retailers. Could that be the reason?
Yes! I noticed this today when I long-pressed the book title to "add to a colletion" and a generic cover appears, not the book's cover. Actually, the "generic" cover is one of the screensaver images. A step backward, IMHO. I also do not like the new font of the list of book titles. The home screen font and layout is an improvement, but I detest the font used to display titles within a colletion.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #69
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Hope they'll fix it in 5.1.1.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #70
alessandro_q
alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kindle 3
I've noted another improvement - I can now long press and archive personal documents (like instapaper deliveries) whereas before they didn't respond to presses at all.

Add full screen mode for comics and I'll be very happy.
alessandro_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #71
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandro_q View Post
I can now long press and archive personal documents (like instapaper deliveries) whereas before they didn't respond to presses at all.

this was really annoying.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #72
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the update I have been waiting for.
I have always requested being able to search on selected text as a supplement to X Ray.
It would be nice if they added Google but I guess it's a free 3G limitation they are concerned about.
I'm happy with Wikipedia.
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #73
InsulinJunkie72
Enthusiast
InsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Yes! I noticed this today when I long-pressed the book title to "add to a colletion" and a generic cover appears, not the book's cover. Actually, the "generic" cover is one of the screensaver images.
For me, that happens about 20% of the time since I loaded the new firmware.
InsulinJunkie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #74
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I am loving the new homescreen layout. Instead of

Star Wars: Fate of the Je...................Denning, Tr

I now get

Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Abyss
Troy Denning

I love finally being able to see the whole title. It makes the homescreen look much cleaner too.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #75
DuckFOO
Enthusiast
DuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: None
Could someone do me a favor and take a screenshot of their Touch in landscape mode? I know how silly this request sounds but I would appreciate it.
DuckFOO is offline   Reply With Quote